SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/16/15 9:45 p.m.

So DLCs that you have to pay for are nothing new, however I feel like the days of free DLCs are coming to an end.

A couple of examples are now they sell the "season pass" for games. Destiny has one and it's almost as much as the game itself. Same thing with COD:AW. I'm not paying almost the same amount as the game just to get a couple levels and a new gun.

I can say that I thank Rockstar for the free DLCs for GTA.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/16/15 10:17 p.m.

South Park covered this pretty well in Freemium Isn't Free.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/16/15 10:49 p.m.

Yep. Gone is the day of paying for a game once. Even with the free dlc from rock star they're counting on you to buy shark cards to get that new car and the 3rd apartment or whatever. They hate people like me.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/17/15 10:41 p.m.

So I decided to buy the expansion for Destiny, but for some reason it kept giving me errors. Oh well.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/17/15 10:54 p.m.

They're gonna berkeley ya one way or another. I'm about to give up gaming altogether.... berkeleyin paying for more content is ridiculous.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/19/15 8:21 p.m.

So Microsoft would not accept my Paypal. XBL won't take gift cards because the expiration date won't go higher than 2020. So I went to the mobile site, same issue.

Jumped on the laptop and went to Microsofts site and BAM, it works just fine.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/19/15 8:33 p.m.

I'm not opposed to this entirely. Two of my favorite games were completely ruined by Free DLC packs :(. And there is no way to go back to the original game.

I almost want to ask the developers for my money back. Game was good when I purchased it, ruined by them after the fact.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/20/15 8:42 a.m.

I've about given up on console gaming. I don't find quite as much of this kind of jackassery on games I buy on Steam. Also, some GREAT games are much cheaper. Especially during the holiday and seasonal sales that Steam offers.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/20/15 9:52 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: I've about given up on console gaming. I don't find *quite* as much of this kind of jackassery on games I buy on Steam. Also, some GREAT games are much cheaper. Especially during the holiday and seasonal sales that Steam offers.

True, but both of the games I referred to above are Steam games :(

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/20/15 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Xceler8x:

Yeah, this is the reason I am moving over to PC mostly. I can rebuild my PC every few years with last years "hot" parts for fairly cheap and not have to dick with the E36 M3 console world.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/20/15 10:14 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I don't mind the consoles really, but then again, I don't understand how computers work. The last PC games I played were AoE & Empire Earth....so take that with a grain of salt.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/20/15 1:08 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: True, but both of the games I referred to above are Steam games :(

That's hisheartening. We must do this then!

Defend Steam at all costs!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/20/15 2:11 p.m.

I'd love to. I like Steam. Valve is one of the main offenders though. TF2 is an entirely different game today than when it was released, and not in a good way.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
1/20/15 2:22 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

What were these games?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/20/15 2:26 p.m.

TF2 and Shattered Horizon

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/21/15 10:28 p.m.

DLC has certainly changed the way I buy games, if anything it usually SAVES me money now. There are very few games that I insist on buying on launch day, even less that I'll pony up for a season pass or other similar DLC for.

Usually, I'll wait until the "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate" edition of a title comes out with all the DLC included and then make my purchase.

I'm torn though on DLC as a whole. On the one hand, I hate myself for buying extra cars in Forza titles, but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of them. On the other hand, games like Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas had some pretty substantial DLC that I didn't mind paying for.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/15 1:08 a.m.

DLC. COD:AW. GTA. WTF? I must be old.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
1/22/15 1:44 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Reminds me of an old Simpsons episode.

[Bachman Turner Overdrive is playing at a county fair]

Bart: Who are those pleasant old men?

Homer: It's BTO. They're Canada's answer to ELP. Their big hit was TCB.

[Bart stares at Homer]

Homer: That's how we talked in the '70s. We didn't have a moment to spare.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rcuCYAxwfYMNMCcvgr3xUgcQbgQKfZP3yi4bF9bMbBew0ocrGnYEgDjEVtUfYPtf