1 2 3 4
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/27/13 7:24 p.m.

Creating this thread for FriedGreen.

He has created a monster of a series. He/We are testing the waters with Performance Indexing of cars. My personal opinion, I like capping the cars at C425, keeps it closer to real world builds. Then again, it ain't my series.

Post up ideas, comments, concerns, track selection...

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
12/27/13 7:55 p.m.

Real tracks! None of the phoney Forza tracks (okay, maybe Sunset Full because it's supposed to be "Daytona"....er something, and I like it )

Yes to C425. or lower if competitive (unless you don't care about being dead last LOL!)

No Forza Aero.....hard to enforce in a public lobby (warning then kick is usually what happens).

FWD AWD or RWD? All have advantages/disadvantages. Me? RWD. I don't really care if I'm the only one in the lobby RWD, lets just race!

Looking forward to this being an actual no sh!t series

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
12/27/13 8:48 p.m.

Thanks, Duke!

Long story short, I tried it once like we now do B-Spec. IMO, it was a pretty miserable failure: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/ping-the-grm-forza-crowd/46465/page1/

One night about three or four months ago, I just picked some old RWD cars, set the power to weight ratio, had a few beers and waited to see if anyone wanted to play. Took me a week or so to see that if I actively killed the '70s IMSA Dekon Monza-style bodywork (AKA Forza downforce options), it was actually a pretty cool race setup.

As far as making a real series out of it, two problems at the moment. First, the HP limit. You can only set HP in 50HP increments in F4. 50HP is a big difference in these cars. I wish I could set it to 230HP. IMO, that would be more realistic.

The other is the damn Forza downforce packages. I wish I could switch off the wings like I can switch off the line/ABS/traction control, etc. Yeah, I've heard folks say I should just make the lobby "private", and I probably will if it becomes a real series. But for the moment, we're alpha testing (y'all feel free to beta test when I'm not online!!). I just want to get entries up, and I'll just kick anyone who doesn't get with the game plan. :D

Actually had a good example last night (12/26)..I announced that Forza aero packages would be kicked. Some guy who'd dropped in shouted "shut up, shiny happy person!" at me. He got kicked before we even saw what car he was choosing. No great loss. I'll bet two Euros he's the kind of guy that uses the "suggested line" anyway. I have more patience for ABS and traction control than I do for the line. Never seen one painted on any track I ever drove in reality. Here's your "suggested line", poseur:

friedgreencorrado
12/27/13 8:53 p.m.

Getting on now, leaving the C425 cap in place. OTOH, I haven't built anything new lately. If you have, bring it out and compare to the crapcans I put together when I first got the idea!

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
12/28/13 12:41 a.m.

One way to keep the general public out of an otherwise public lobby, make the cap 400 PI.

Dropping the PI will chase the Forza Aero and suggest a line users out quicker than you can.

DukeOfUndersteer
12/28/13 9:33 p.m.

WE ARE LIVE! Come on in if you wanna run tonight!

friedgreencorrado
1/1/14 3:54 a.m.
Flyin Mikey J wrote: One way to keep the general public out of an otherwise public lobby, make the cap 400 PI. Dropping the PI will chase the Forza Aero and suggest a line users out quicker than you can.

Eh, at 400, I think the cars will act more like track day street cars than race cars. At the moment, I think C425 is what they'll be. I have to admit, I never thought it would get so much attention. Gonna do like club racers at the Runoffs and just run what got me to the dance, instead of going crazy and making lots of changes.

DukeOfUndersteer
1/1/14 11:17 a.m.

I've been watching the "H Production" Runoff videos you posted on Facebook, now I want to build one of those! Like a Bug-eye Sprite.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
1/1/14 3:20 p.m.

Duke, Fried also has a pretty popular "Lil Brit Car's" lobby. Pretty much all that and a few Cortina's stinking up the place . IIRC it's all F class....so you learn a LOT about momentum racing LOL!

DukeOfUndersteer
1/1/14 4:14 p.m.

I'm still reading the SCCA rulebook, as of 2010, for HP. Looks like it could be a fun little series. Haven't tried any of them yet on Forza as I haven't gotten on in the last two days.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
1/1/14 8:46 p.m.

I use the suggested line and abs as a stand in for the real life being able to see the distances and sensation of speed. Those are the only two assists I use when enabled. That being said, I've wanted to turn them off to try and get more realistic experience from this game. The racing I did with corrado and the others last week was a great place to figure it out....once I realized they weren't enabled at turn one on Laguna Seca lol.

I also like the 425 limit, its a good place to be forced to pick power over handling in such a way that by and large it evens the cars out depending on whether you build it for power or cornering.

friedgreencorrado
1/2/14 4:20 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: That being said, I've wanted to turn them off to try and get more realistic experience from this game. The racing I did with corrado and the others last week was a great place to figure it out....once I realized they weren't enabled at turn one on Laguna Seca lol.

Yeah, remember that we're actually trying to do something like iRacing on the cheap! Grassroots, right? Thanks for trying it, I seriously appreciate it. Not to mention..if it turns into a real series, that game setup will be the rule.

Lancer007 wrote: I also like the 425 limit, its a good place to be forced to pick power over handling in such a way that by and large it evens the cars out depending on whether you build it for power or cornering.

AH! You 'get it'! Noticed that I picked different cars for different tracks. For the sake of holding "fair" races, I think I'll do like we do in B-Spec and require that everyone stays in the same car for the entire series. Trust me, that will "penalize" me as much as it would to to the rest of you. I love my lil' Z on Laguna Seca..but the other night just showed me that it's pretty much useless at Road America unless the rest of y'all make BIG mistakes.

I'm lazy enough not to get serious about this until B-Spec is over. I lost a couple positions in the Championship Points because I had to work on 12/29..but I'm off on 1/5, and get home early enough on 1/12 to run. I'll put more time into this after we finish what we started. Team Highball is coming for y'all if you don't recall how to keep from joining the Scarred Roof Club.

friedgreencorrado
1/2/14 4:27 a.m.
RoadRaceDart wrote: Duke, Fried also has a pretty popular "Lil Brit Car's" lobby. Pretty much all that and a few Cortina's stinking up the place . IIRC it's all F class....so you learn a LOT about momentum racing LOL!

Except for when I pick the Big Healey. Man, that thing honks in a straight line. I've won races in the Bugeye, but only at places that are as curvy as the inside of a colon.

friedgreencorrado
1/2/14 6:11 p.m.

Facebook group created. https://www.facebook.com/groups/642521995806704/

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
1/3/14 6:15 p.m.

I like the same car through the whole series rule.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/4/14 1:01 a.m.

I have built a few cars to these specs, and choosing one for everywhere will make it a challenge thus more rewarding.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
1/4/14 3:20 p.m.

I've built a few, ok several, cars for this series. I think I've got it narrowed down to three. I was playing with a Fiero, but I just can't get the lap times down. It brakes deep and corners well, but is a dog on the straights.

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
1/4/14 3:57 p.m.

That'll be the challenge. Building a car that does good on every track vs one that excels on a few but sucks everywhere else. My MGB is a rocket but won't turn, The big Healy is fast on tracks with long sweepers and straights but horrid on tight courses. The BMW 507 does okay, but is a handful everywhere. The GT-R is also very fast....as long as I stay away from the curbs LOL!

Right now it's a tossup between the SAAB and the de-turboed '92 'Yota. Both do pretty good everywhere.

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/4/14 10:03 p.m.

I've got a Lancia 037 that is pretty good everywhere, yet great nowhere.

DukeOfUndersteer
1/5/14 8:51 a.m.

Last night was pretty... uh.. interesting.

Think we still need to work on braking and being aware of brake zones. Towards the end, I could tell we were all getting pretty frustrated and tired. Or high?

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
1/5/14 11:51 a.m.

Um...yeah.

And some need to work on how to get back on the track after an off....

I had a pretty good run with Fink and Griffin though, that was fun!

Flyin Mikey J
Flyin Mikey J Reader
1/5/14 8:39 p.m.

Last night while you all were racing, I built me a sweet little Mazda, but not a Miata, and shaved almost two secs off my PB for Laguna Seca. I was happy that the Mazda was quick, but even happier that the Chevy Spark wasn't very good at anything, as I have grown to hate that car.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
1/6/14 8:59 a.m.

Join request sent, looks like fun. Just got an Xbox and Forza 4 should be here tomorrow.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
1/6/14 10:45 a.m.

OK... How do I get in on fun? What group should I be looking for? New to Xbox so be patient.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/6/14 1:26 p.m.

what are the specs? 199hp over 2200lb c425 right?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oOHXrH0lWSgeBqXFpnOzPEV8obIpB3wjpXajup2u0RjDbhpkrp0oY9XvRNmo94rZ