Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/6/17 11:24 p.m.

I now live in the middle of nowhere. Have some time to kill. My MBP doesn't have the capacity to handle something current, and I don't really feel like shelling out for a new system just to race.

Is there anything decent out for 360 or PS3 that's not laughably terrible as far as physics and such? GT6? Forza (whatever)?

My goal would be to pick up whatever game and something like a G25 or G27 and see how it goes from there.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/17 12:53 p.m.

Well, we have a GT6 Group here on GRM. Good fun and good racing. We are always looking for new people to join in. Sundays I host and it is just racing for fun. No points with each consecutive race I reverse the grid order based on the previous race so it puts the fast guys at the back every race and if you get crashed out you get a better starting place for the next race.

Wednesday's Allaircooled hosts and it is a points based series. Take a look at the thread it is all spelled out there.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/8/17 1:47 p.m.

GT6 is generally considered pretty good physics wise. You will never get too close since you will always miss the physical motion aspect. Steering feel and technique seem to be pretty good though (it does seem to ignore caster when sliding for some reason though).

Is it useful for real world driving? I would have to say yes. We have had participants that regularly beat most of us who are experienced real world drivers. GT academy has shown that highly proficient GT6 drivers can transition to professional drivers. If nothing else, it is great training for remaining calm and focused during competition (I was rather nervous when I first raced with the group).

The one concern would be the "middle of nowhere" aspect. Is your internet connection good? A bad connection can make online racing troublesome. We have had races with people in the US, New Zealand and Canada at the same time with little issue, so a good connection can do wonders.

PS3 / GT6 is likely the cheapest way to go currently (no yearly online subscription either). The wheels are not that cheap (used?). Also of note is that GT7 will eventually come out (some time this year?) and who knows how long they will support the free servers of GT6 once it arrives.

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/10/17 7:04 a.m.

Forza 4 was the last one available on 360, and arguably the best Forza in terms of content (cars and tracks). Forza Horizon is comparable physics wise. Ignore Forza Horizon 2, it has way too much grip.

When I lived out in the sticks and had satellite broadband, Forza 4 was more demanding online (more lag). I was able to play GT6 online with the guys here fairly well though.

Personally I prefer Forza physics over GT, but both are really good games.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/10/17 9:07 a.m.

The G25/G27 won't work on a 360. The only wheels that work on the 360 that I know of are the MS Forza wheel and the Fanatec wheel. The Fanatec one will also work with PS3 and PC as well. I have a MS Forza wheel that I've been meaning to sell if I can find all the parts.

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/10/17 1:45 p.m.

The Fanatec CSR that works on PS3 and 360 is discontinued, it looks like if you are trying to buy new they only cater to next gen buyers.

It is a very solid wheel though, I have had mine several years and its still in service on my pc.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
4/10/17 3:01 p.m.

I have the Fanatec Porsche setup - its nice. Got it for $500 used a few years ago when the 360 was still a thing - probably even cheaper now that they're not forward compatible with the Xbox1.

Shit, I'll sell you mine if you want to make an offer.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/14/17 1:03 p.m.

I just posted a g27 that I was using with PS3 in the $2017 classifieds

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mlMFDtzfR8Qfns7LaKVVpgxxbcc4ImXvBge0yZqx3t2v5R0JBB4ICuZcLYoNw2xU