failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/1/14 7:17 a.m.

I just saw a commercial the other day that a new one just came out. How did I not know about this? Anyone been following it? Anyone played it?

I thought the last one that was on pc and original xbox was awesome (as in, worth playing if you missed it) This one appears to take place in a futuristic setting which concerns me.

I guess I need to track down some reviews today

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/1/14 7:21 a.m.

Oh, well berkeley me. Its not available on 360. Nevermind. Lol

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
6/1/14 9:11 a.m.

Awww I was excited

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/1/14 9:52 a.m.

No bratwurst for you!

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/1/14 11:32 a.m.

err. i lied. it is out on 360 and ps3. requires installation to your HD to play (360 version comes on 4 dvd discs and requires 10gigs of HD space!)

Although according to wikipedia there was a Wolfenstein title in 2009 on 360 that i completely missed and I guess I will have to track that down and play it first. Might have to swing by gamestop today while running errands.

Advan046
Advan046 HalfDork
6/2/14 6:28 a.m.
aircooled wrote: No bratwurst for you!

Yes!!!!! Loved it. Didn't know that they made any sequels. Don't remember there being color either?!?

Commodore 64 right?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
6/2/14 7:15 a.m.

The one I remember was a fps with similar gameplay to doom just with Nazis instead of demons (though arguably the same thing). I think it was called wolfenstein 3d.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
6/2/14 11:17 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: The one I remember was a fps with similar gameplay to doom just with Nazis instead of demons (though arguably the same thing). I think it was called wolfenstein 3d.

That's the one I was thinking of

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/2/14 11:38 a.m.
Advan046 wrote:
aircooled wrote: No bratwurst for you!
Yes!!!!! Loved it. Didn't know that they made any sequels. Don't remember there being color either?!? Commodore 64 right?

That's likely an Apple ][. The ability to stick up the SS guys and steal their vests was pretty epic at that time. Between that and Choplifter, many hours of entertainment.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
6/2/14 5:07 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: The one I remember was a fps with similar gameplay to doom just with Nazis instead of demons (though arguably the same thing). I think it was called wolfenstein 3d.

I think wolfenstein came out before doom. Also I think they were both made by id software hence the similarity.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
6/2/14 7:01 p.m.

Wolf3D was like the father of the first-person shooter. Then came the Doom Engine, which set the standard until what... Half-Life?

I've played the original Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein II (both on the Apple IIc), Wolfenstein 3D, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, and I'm looking forward to this one. I am ~that~ old. Or obsessive. Or both.

My god, am I that much a geek? Wow.....

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
6/3/14 9:24 a.m.

Doom held the standard until Quake, man! Quake was 3d (you could look up and down!) and really rocked. Nine Inch Nails did the sound design, what a world.

A friend of mine opened a business based around it. I sold him the computers and equipment and he built a "virtual reality gaming" shop. It was more or less paying the bills 'till he ended up relocating to get an engineering job in Chicago.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/3/14 1:10 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

Not really a geek, about normal for your age group.

At some point in the mid 90's, Medal of Honor revolutionized the FPS into what we have today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e28KhpWkwbM

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwnIZkN7pmcNDJP24ZY8bAIqGl3kMb1Rnb8nn6R97baWjWFfHDHJOo6iphqwBYZU