1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/30/19 8:50 p.m.

Update time! I've played about 5 hours of the game and I have some impressions. 

First off- it is an absolute resource monster. I bought an 8th gen i5,  gtx 1060 , 8gb ram laptop and it will chug it down past 20fps, and I'm not even running it wide open. I imagine park of my problem is I am running it in 4k (because I wanted to player it on a 50" screen) but damn. The problems dont seem to be isolated to me. The scary part is, it's not even the ram its eating, it's the CPU. I'm regularly seeing 100% spikes. 

Second- the AI is VICIOUS. I thought the AI in fh4 was bad, these dudes are nuts. There is absolutely no mercy and they will steer directly into a head on collision to wreck you, or swerve the berkeley across the track to take your ass out. Get out front or expect to be slammed. 

Third- the controls are pretty solid. The cars all like to plow in the corners, but given what most of the real versions are like, I'm ok with that. 

And the game itself? Good bit of fun. Derbies are ruthless, figure 8 races are white knuckle affairs, and regular racing is a different take on track racing, simply because slamming your opponent is not only a recognized tactic, it is expected and rewarded. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
5/2/19 9:01 p.m.

you try running it in 1080p? My desktop is similar specs I think,  (Older I5 processor, gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb ram) I usually am running most games in 720p or 1080p, depending on which tv im playing on (my 34" native resolution is 720p). at those resolutions its hardly breaking a sweat and can have most graphics settings cranked up.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/19 9:07 p.m.
failboat said:

you try running it in 1080p? My desktop is similar specs I think,  (Older I5 processor, gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb ram) I usually am running most games in 720p or 1080p, depending on which tv im playing on (my 34" native resolution is 720p). at those resolutions its hardly breaking a sweat and can have most graphics settings cranked up.  

It still chugged in 1080 before I plugged it in to the big screen. You actually have slightly better gpu/ram specs than I do, but the bottleneck appears to be the chip, because even at wfo, I'm not seeing 100% spikes anywhere else. 

underpowered
underpowered GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/19 4:26 p.m.

This is the first new video game I have bought in probably 7 years.  It is a really fun game.  Only have about 2 hrs play time in.  I'm ok at the races but get murdered in the derbies.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/4/19 4:46 p.m.
underpowered said:

This is the first new video game I have bought in probably 7 years.  It is a really fun game.  Only have about 2 hrs play time in.  I'm ok at the races but get murdered in the derbies.

Derbies are the death of me every time. Worth it tho. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/24/19 5:32 p.m.

Spent a large amount of time today playing. There are some fun races when you get further in. Favorite so far was me as a school bus vs a field of reliant Robin clones- goal was to crash as many out as possible. It was a flag like style race, so the tactic was just find out which way around the field was going and drive into oncoming traffic. I've also begun to figure out demo derbies as well, have managed to win a few outright. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/19 9:31 a.m.

From Bugbear and THQ NORDIC this morning on Twatter: August 27 console release and major PC update

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/2/19 9:55 a.m.

yaaaaaas. Time to buy like 3 more copies. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/2/19 11:15 a.m.

Hopefully they aren't lying this time. I'm probably not getting much done for a few days if this actually does drop on console. 

chief8one
chief8one Reader
7/3/19 9:00 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Hopefully they aren't lying this time. I'm probably not getting much done for a few days if this actually does drop on console. 

Ya, I feel the same way.  This is probably the most anticipated game for me that I can remember in the past 15 years.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/3/19 9:30 p.m.

If the console port is half as good as the PC game, it's worth it. I bought a mid grade gaming laptop a few months ago. And bought wreckfest. The minute I hit the 4k button, it noped out. The level of texture and graphic ability in this game is absolutely stunning. When I DID get it to run at more than 5 fps, it look unreal. And when I stopped making my GPU cry and turned it back down to 1080- it was still awesome looking, but more importantly,  it played extremely well. A.i. was stupid frustrating. I would expect nothing less from a game where a viable strategy to winning an oval race is quite simply to make the entire field wreck out and hope you survive. Or from a game where it seems perfectly rational to put you on a track full of school buses in a reliant Robin and wish you the best of luck. I'm quite looking forward to local multiplayer, mostly. Given than my xbox is my primary mode of verbal communication outside of work and swmbo- I enjoy the interaction. at least once in a while. I'm just curious what the next major content update is, and if and how console mods will play out- theres a nascar legends mod I would enjoy playing with others. 

RevRico
7/3/19 10:51 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I'm pretty sure it is NASCAR legends actually, and according to Byg Bear, we'll be getting the same major updates on console as PC. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/4/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

That's amazin . 

RevRico
7/23/19 12:24 p.m.

It's coming

chief8one
chief8one Reader
7/30/19 11:01 p.m.

Trying to decide to get the regular or deluxe edition pre-order?  What are the thoughts on this ?

RevRico
7/30/19 11:43 p.m.

In reply to chief8one :

Get access to the expanding world of wreckfest for one neat Bundle price. This Season Pass gives you: - 20 crazy and iconic new vehicles - 20 insane roof decorations - car customization Pack with new armor, rims and more all items will be released post launch of wreckfest, over the course of 8 DLC packs.

I wanted the vehicles, and the day early release, so I went deluxe. Honestly, $60 for deluxe is worth it since so many worse games are $60 before the DLC and season pass.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/31/19 11:06 a.m.

I really don't know if the Deluxe is worth it, but if nothing else, I see it as a way to reward and encourage the creation of games like this. 

I also appreciate their courage to delay the console release until it was at the quality they wanted (hopefully they where able to do that).

chief8one
chief8one Reader
8/1/19 11:08 p.m.

Is the season pass just another name for xbox live gold?  or is it something else?  It's been a long time since I've done any online gaming.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/1/19 11:21 p.m.

In reply to chief8one :

Season pass is usually DLC packs.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/19 12:34 p.m.
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/19 7:39 a.m.

Discounting the preorder?  That does sound promising. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/14/19 11:32 a.m.

There is no discount on the deluxe though.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/21/19 6:20 p.m.
aircooled said:

I really don't know if the Deluxe is worth it, but if nothing else, I see it as a way to reward and encourage the creation of games like this. 

I also appreciate their courage to delay the console release until it was at the quality they wanted (hopefully they where able to do that).

I already own it on PC, and I'll be buying the deluxe....probably right now actually. It's REALLY good. 

RevRico
8/21/19 6:24 p.m.

berkeleying counting the days. Hoping it goes live Monday at midnight, or UK time so I can start Sunday night. Child goes back to school Monday morning so I'll even be able to play during the day. 

Having played a bit on PC, beyond geeked and ready for this. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/21/19 6:31 p.m.
RevRico said:

berkeleying counting the days. Hoping it goes live Monday at midnight, or UK time so I can start Sunday night. Child goes back to school Monday morning so I'll even be able to play during the day. 

Having played a bit on PC, beyond geeked and ready for this. 

I don't invest this much cash in a game often...except for GTA, Horizon 3 and 4, and...christ maybe I do spend too much on some games. Either way, ordered. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yTUolgoDFsWFen25rbGaLBKRgRB59h19ZQumeE6i16xsuCWX2MVafeGTNyrJPDUo