93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/17/18 8:38 p.m.

So about 4 or 5 months I got into to biking so I figured it would be fun to chronicle my adventures starting out on bikes and getting better. 

I currently have two bikes and about to build a third. I bought a Cannondale Trail 5 MTB on closeout for the end of the year for $650. I have regretted this buy massively. It just doesnt seem to hold up to a 200lb dude riding it. The front wheel has already been replaced with a Mavic that a friend had laying around after it tacoed going down a rocky section. There are constantly new noises to track down. I have swapped to a 780mm wide Nukeproof handlebar and Ragley 60 mm stem. I have also swapped to a random Nishiki saddle that was laying around cause it was way more comfortable as well as putting skateboard grip tape on the shifters and mastic tape on the chain stay to quite down chain slap. I have DMR Deathgrips on it currently but I broke one when I clipped a tree so I am waiting on a set of Senus grips to come in. The front tire has been changed to a Forte Pishgag (spl?) from Bike Nashbar. 

The second bike is a 6KU single speed. This bike is just for workout purposes and it does everything I could ever want from road biking. The grips and pedals have been swapped otherwise it is as it came out of the box from Amazon. 

Finally I am building up a BMX. I have a Sunday Soundwave V1 frame with 21in top tube I got second hand. I also got Odyssey LHD Thunderbolt cranks (used), Odyssey 28t sprocket (used), Odyssey Evo2 brakes (used), Odyssey R25 fork (second hand but new), Odyssey 9" Lumberjack XL bars (used), Tree Straight pull front hub laced to Eclat X-Odus rim with WeThePeople tire (used), Animal seat post (used), Fit Barstool seat (used), Verde Regent rear wheel (new), BSD Donnasqueak 2.25 tire (new), Terrible One grips (new), Animal Rat Trap pedals (new) and Odyssey bottom bracket and headset (new). I was working on that this evening but ran out of grease. 

I am currently preparing for a XC race in September and saving for a replacement bike (thinking a Nukeproof Scout 275). 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/18/18 9:49 a.m.

I like that 6KU! 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/19/18 3:57 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I like that 6KU! 

It has been pretty decent so far. Probably put 50ish miles on it. Maybe more. I think it was just over $200 off Amazon. 

Super sore after my ride today. Did some trails I hadnt done before with a friend. Slammed one end of my handlebars into a tree atat speed and went down. Also got shinned by the pedals after the bike threw its chain. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/21/18 8:38 p.m.

Almost done building the BMX

Frame: Sunday Soundwave V1 21" TT

Fork: Odyssey R25 

Stem: Odyssey (not sure exactly which one bought used)

Bars: Odyssey Lumberjack XL 9" rise

Grips: Terrible One

Cranks: Odyssey Thunderbolt LHD

Sprocket: Odyssey 28t 30th anniversary

Chain: KMC 710 (not installed yet)

Pedals: Animal Rat Trap (not installed yet)

Seatpost: Animal

Seat: Fit Barstool

Front wheel: Tree Straight pull hub laced to Eclat X-Isis rim

Front Tire: WeThePeople 2.25" (have a BSD Donnasquek 2.4 on the way)

Rear wheel: Verde Regent 

Rear tire: BSD Donnasquek 2.25"

Need to break the chain to shorten it and order a new brake cable. The one I had was going to be too short. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/10/18 9:11 a.m.

So I did my first XC race yesterday which went poorly. I had a pretty good crash going round a slick corner and I have a nice bruise on my back plus a pretty beat up calf and elbow. Then I had a flat at around mile 14. My CO2 inflator blew the o-ring out and ended up pushing the bike for 2 miles before I found some one who could help me. 

But I am wanting to do another haha. Also want to try out an enduro race at some point next year.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/10/18 11:17 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Other than the flat how did the bike hold up? 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/10/18 11:42 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

Other than the flat how did the bike hold up? 

I smashed the shifter up a little with my knee. The rear tire on it has zero grip in wet. I am running borrowed Mavic wheels front and rear because both the stock ones got tacoed over the last couple months. I am looking forward to save up enough to upgrade to a new bike.

At least the new grips I have on it, Sensus, are really comfortable. Shortening the handlebar from 760 to 740 is nice and my new Bell MIPS helmet is a lot more comfortable then the Bern skate style lid I was running.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/29/18 10:18 a.m.

BMX is so much fun. I mean I suck at it but just cruising around trying to manual, bunny hop and bump jump off stuff is so much fun. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/1/18 1:41 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I need to get a BMX bike. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/18 9:31 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I need to get a BMX bike. 

Do it. From what I saw some good starter bikes are the Eastern Shovelhead, Eastern Traildigger, Kink Whip or Whip XL or Mongoose L100. All of those are full chromoly frames with sealed bearings, 20.5 - 21 tt.

I said screw it and built custom from mostly second hand parts but quality parts cause I wanted a Soundwave so mine ended up being around $700 full built.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/7/18 1:34 p.m.

Got to borrow a bike from one of the mechanics at my LBS. He is selling it an 11 Niner WFO9. 150mm front 140mm rear. Hope rear hub, 1x10 Sram with SLX cranks, Avid XO brakes, Stans rims, tubeless Maxxis Ardent 29×2.4 tires, Fox Factory 34 front fork, Fox DHX air shock, just redone rear suspension bearings, oval chain ring.

I am probably going to buy it from him after the Challenge and sell the Cannondale. 

Also built a manual machine for the BMX 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/22/18 2:43 p.m.

Here is new guy in the garage. It is a blast to ride. Things to change swap on the Ragley 60mm stem, Sensus grips, Nukeproof 25mm rise bars, DMR V12 pedals, trigger shifter instead of grip and seatpost and qr clamp (currently has broken Giant dropper)

Eventually add a working external routed dropper, more aggresive tires (Magic Marys?, Minion DHF/DHR?, Der Barons?) and 200mm rotors. 

I sold the Cannondale for $350.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/8/18 10:23 a.m.

Build a bike for my wife out of a free Huffy. Regressed the hubs, headset and BB. Converted to single speed with a Forte tensioner, some second hand cruiser cranks, a set of BMX pedals I had laying around, a BMX freewheel and a pink KMC chain. Ebay seat and handlebars with a pair of Oury grips and random brake levers I had laying around. Shimano V-brakes, Bike Nashbar 26" Rambler tires. Painted black. 

Need to get a front brake sorted and figure out the drivetrain issue. It keeps skipping teeth. I am guessing the chain line isn't right. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/6/19 11:00 a.m.

Added a trainer and a single speed cyclocross in January. Started doing TrainerRoad plans in January. Covered over 280 miles since the middle of January on the trainer and added 15 watts so far. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
4/28/19 3:06 p.m.

I miss riding my bmx bike, it's a blast and I really enjoyed learning most of the grinds more then anything. Mines a wall hanging trophy now, plus it's well outdated technology i rode from 02 until last fall

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jU5PtdMM5fp11otmOoxehDm0jwLCDVf6CmnNhotZqJConr6Q3M2uTqPaTYGSMjaA