ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
4/5/09 7:50 p.m.

Stands for: All The Gear All The Time. Be careful out there. Sprintime can bring windy conditions, sandy roads, you know the deal. be safe out there http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9488688#post9488688

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
4/5/09 8:24 p.m.

Windy? Like the 50 MPH sidewinds that I saw the other night? Those were fun. It's no fun telling yourself to just relax, or you'll overcorrect and kill yourself. Even if you're good at just relaxing. Yes, ATGATT saved me on a low speed fall in January. I DO need to get some armored pants though. Just need to find someone that realizes that if a person has a 42" waist, it doesn't mean that they have a 40 inch inseam. Ok, I might be exaggerating, but not by much. I'm highly contemplating a ride to Aerostitch to have a customer Roadcrafter sewn for me. That, or up to New England for some custom leathers. Yes, I know that I could get my measurements taken by a tailor and have them sent, but is that tailor going to make me a new set if the measurements aren't quite right?

Woody
Woody Dork
4/5/09 9:00 p.m.

I remember how I used to run through the scenario in my head; What I would do if I started to lose my bike, how I would react and what I would do to correct and save it.

Then one morning I looked up and I was laying in the road. It happened so quickly that I never even got to launch the protocol. I barely had time to recognized that I was on my way down.

I got lucky. Get good gear and wear it on every ride.

alex
alex Reader
4/5/09 11:44 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: I'm highly contemplating a ride to Aerostitch to have a customer Roadcrafter sewn for me.

I can't sing the praises of my 'Stich enough. I have a one piece Roadcrafter that I had custom made. I got an off-the-rack suit sent to me in the closest size possible, sent the suit back (at their cost even!) along with my changes, and got a custom in a couple weeks that fit like a glove.

It's easily the best gear purchase I ever made. Hell, I sold my leathers and started wearing it on trackdays (check your club's rules before you plan on that).

The best part is, on all those days when it's either almost too crappy to ride, or threatens to take a turn for the worse later in the day, I throw on the Stich and don't give it a second thought. The only thing that keeps me from riding now is snow/ice on the ground.

I liked that sort of flexibility so much that I sold my car - don't tell anybody else here that tidbit, though.

In sumation: doo eet.

(Hmm, this post makes me realize: after a few years of ownership now, I should probably think about washing the thing...)

skierd
skierd Dork
4/6/09 1:10 a.m.

It was windy as crap here (MD) on Saturday, I thought I was going to die crossing the Susquehanna River Bridge the cross winds were so bad, and there were a few other spots that almost knocked me off my bike on the Eastern Shore too.

I couldn't be happier with my Olympia AST jacket (Hi Viz) so far, though I can tell already that its going to be too hot for summer here. Draggin' jeans for going to school and basic around town stuff, still looking for pants I like with more protection for all-day type rides. They're going to be hot bastards in summer too though I think.

If I had the coin, I'd be looking at the motoport kevlar stuff. I don't though, so I'll probably add an Olympia stealth suit and their Ranger2 pant. I wouldn't want to wear any of that stuff on a dirt or dual sport ride though, so I'll probably get another pair of Klim Dakar pants and a pressure suit+MX jersey/enduro jacket.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/6/09 7:36 a.m.

I always ride with a leather jacket, full face helmet, reinforced gloves. usually boots.

the nagging voice in my head is telling me to buy some kevlar reinforced riding pants.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/6/09 7:37 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Windy? Like the 50 MPH sidewinds that I saw the other night?

yeah....those are exciting when you're 60mph through a 30mph corner. I almost lost it, wind shoved me from the inside of the curve to the outside. about 2" from the loose gravel.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/6/09 7:44 a.m.

this right here is why I swear by full-face buckets

Edit: picture pulled from above mentioned AVRiders thread.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
4/7/09 7:48 a.m.
alex wrote:
mistanfo wrote: I'm highly contemplating a ride to Aerostitch to have a customer Roadcrafter sewn for me.

I can't sing the praises of my 'Stich enough. I have a one piece Roadcrafter that I had custom made. I got an off-the-rack suit sent to me in the closest size possible, sent the suit back (at their cost even!) along with my changes, and got a custom in a couple weeks that fit like a glove.

It's easily the best gear purchase I ever made. Hell, I sold my leathers and started wearing it on trackdays (check your club's rules before you plan on that).

The best part is, on all those days when it's either almost too crappy to ride, or threatens to take a turn for the worse later in the day, I throw on the Stich and don't give it a second thought. The only thing that keeps me from riding now is snow/ice on the ground.

I liked that sort of flexibility so much that I sold my car - don't tell anybody else here that tidbit, though.

In sumation: doo eet.

(Hmm, this post makes me realize: after a few years of ownership now, I should probably think about washing the thing...)

Whoa whoa whoa... don't be filling these boys with none of your hooliganistic thoughts. Selling your car? Thats crazy talk!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
4/7/09 7:59 a.m.

It is a little disconcerting that the pivot hardware for that face shield broke off in the accident. At least it looks like the shield stayed in place.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/7/09 12:46 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: It is a little disconcerting that the pivot hardware for that face shield broke off in the accident. At least it looks like the shield stayed in place.

better than his chin

walterj
walterj Dork
4/7/09 1:57 p.m.

I know, seriously... gotta be careful with those crosswinds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrRNxB3i9rg

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/7/09 6:22 p.m.

Wow, what a nasty wreak. Can't believe the on board camera stayed intact that long.

skierd
skierd Dork
4/7/09 11:29 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
alex wrote:
mistanfo wrote: I'm highly contemplating a ride to Aerostitch to have a customer Roadcrafter sewn for me.

I can't sing the praises of my 'Stich enough. I have a one piece Roadcrafter that I had custom made. I got an off-the-rack suit sent to me in the closest size possible, sent the suit back (at their cost even!) along with my changes, and got a custom in a couple weeks that fit like a glove.

It's easily the best gear purchase I ever made. Hell, I sold my leathers and started wearing it on trackdays (check your club's rules before you plan on that).

The best part is, on all those days when it's either almost too crappy to ride, or threatens to take a turn for the worse later in the day, I throw on the Stich and don't give it a second thought. The only thing that keeps me from riding now is snow/ice on the ground.

I liked that sort of flexibility so much that I sold my car - don't tell anybody else here that tidbit, though.

In sumation: doo eet.

(Hmm, this post makes me realize: after a few years of ownership now, I should probably think about washing the thing...)

Whoa whoa whoa... don't be filling these boys with none of your hooliganistic thoughts. Selling your car? Thats crazy talk!

I'm probably going carless pretty soon too. Since I've had the bike I rarely drive my truck, maybe once a week and only for stuff I don't have room to carry in my backpack since I don't have any luggage (yet). Once the storage situation is taken care of and I have a few more pieces of gear, bye bye Taco.

Our Preferred Partners
NTXPreNzIW3HowTH3CDTTNJQlar6Y4hxGQVbT8u5XHQN2TF0woPSyWXOzdej4BUl