minimac
minimac SuperDork
12/31/17 8:49 p.m.

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for a neglected/abandoned/unwanted side car to resurrect. I'm in the planning stages of a cross country journey on one of my scooters(haven't decided which one yet) and figured rather than toting a trailer, a sidecar might better suit my needs. Needs to be a reasonable recovery distance from the central New York area and priced cheap. Something in need of repairs or just not wanted anymore would be ideal. Any body style is fine.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/31/17 9:32 p.m.

Good luck.

Around here, any rotted-out hunk of junk resembling a sidecar is over $1000.

It's the main reason that I've never owned a chair. $1000 will buy things that actually make my bike faster and more fun.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
1/7/18 9:13 p.m.

When you say "scooter" do you actually mean scooter? If so, PM me. I may have what you are looking for.

Aaron

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/7/18 9:21 p.m.

i am with you on this... Been looking for nearly two years.

Not much pops up and what does is junk or over priced or both.

Building one might actually be the ticket I have come to realize

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/8/18 9:47 a.m.

Have you used Searchtempest to browse all the CL and Ebay listings near you?

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/8/18 1:43 p.m.

Like Carkid, most of what I see pop up are either ridiculously overpriced or utter junk.  I'm also in the market for a cheap and old dustbin type fairing, that will have to be cut for a project I'm working on.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
1/9/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to minimac :

A new dustbin will run you $600. Finding a used one is nearly impossible.

Google Airtech Streamlining.

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
1/9/18 9:03 a.m.

Thanks to this thread, I did a quick search and found many in the 1500-4000 range, and a small smattering of 600-900 fixeruppers. 

However, if you have money to... ahem... "invest", there seem to be quite a few bikes with sidecars for 3-5k, that are possibly worth that without the car. You could hold it till spring and break even on the deal, after splitting em up. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/10/18 2:59 p.m.

Why not weld one up? I assume you are looking for cargo vs passenger.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
1/11/18 9:27 a.m.

I probably will end up welding something up. I was hoping to avoid it, but it looks like that will be the ultimate solution. Mainly cargo, but Mrs. Mini would enjoy a ride once in awhile. The dust bin fairing though, is necessary for a long distance project I'm working on. That's beginning to look like I'll have to lay up my own, as that search is going no where.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/11/18 9:59 a.m.

Finding an old sidehack probably isn't easy either. Plus they can have crummy aero.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/11/18 1:58 p.m.

Are you a sidehack rider?  From what I've heard, it is a totally different riding experience.

I made a trailer.

from a HF trailer and a car topper.  I probably have about $400 in it, give or take.  It is the same width as my bike, so if my bike can get through the hole, the trailer can too.  Gets all the weight off the bike and beats the heck out of bungeying all that stuff on.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/11/18 8:07 p.m.

^No, sidehacks look scary as hell to be on!

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/11/18 11:32 p.m.

I gotta agree with Hess on this. A trailer would be more practical, in this situation. Definitely not as cool, though. 

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
1/13/18 6:21 p.m.

The more I think this over and the more i read the build thread about the handmade Datsun replica made out of washers, file cabinets and fridges the more I feel as though a side car body (and frame for that matter) could be a DIY thing.  

Time? Sure, you would invest a bit but its a project and projects are fun right?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
2/2/18 5:11 a.m.

I know a guy that has a hack on a goldwing that is home made. It was originally a weight bench and some other piece of gym lesequipment. It is plenty sturdy, I have seen him bring a couple of full coolers, firewood and BBQ grill across a couple of miles of frozen lake at high speed. I think he built it 15 - 20 years ago

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
2/13/18 10:52 a.m.

Unsure if this one is "discarded and neglected"  but just seeing this one in Central NJ  velorex side car - $800 (central nj)

from what ive seen though might be easier to find a sidecar with a neglected bike attached to it.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
2/15/18 9:30 a.m.

Price is OK. Thanks for the lead!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/20/18 4:59 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o0XlEZ8ejfLt7MKoBFRxVib8Ss1jEzTa7tRz459GYkEbTjhzHMVTzoNkIqlCcIxk