stroker
stroker SuperDork
3/9/17 10:18 p.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/10/17 7:14 a.m.

If you have a Goldwing or big cruiser, how do you get it up there?

No experience.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/10/17 7:46 a.m.

That looks like a great way to get the bike squashed in traffic. Also will the output bearing in the trans be ok?

Paul

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
3/10/17 8:01 a.m.

I go through tires fast enough, I can't imagine that would help any! Backing up would also be a pain. For a light enough bike, I would just get something like this: http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rage-Powersports/MX600.html

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
3/10/17 8:10 a.m.
914Driver wrote: If you have a Goldwing or big cruiser, how do you get it up there? No experience.

Wheelie.

It's probably easier to use the handle, though.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
3/10/17 8:19 a.m.

Seems like a bad idea.

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
3/10/17 9:43 a.m.

Ive seen these used on sedans and hatchback in the city. Obviously they work where the other carrier Brokeback mentioned requires a ~400lb tongue weight rating.

Looking at the OP's website whats making me crazy is that they are dragging a bike behind a truck with a perfectly good bed...

Kinda like the couple I saw loading bicycles onto the trailer hitch rack on an f-150 with an empty bed. Mind boggling!!!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/10/17 11:38 a.m.
Dr Ribs Revere wrote: Ive seen these used on sedans and hatchback in the city. Obviously they work where the other carrier Brokeback mentioned requires a ~400lb tongue weight rating. Looking at the OP's website whats making me crazy is that they are dragging a bike behind a truck with a perfectly good bed... Kinda like the couple I saw loading bicycles onto the trailer hitch rack on an f-150 with an empty bed. Mind boggling!!!

Can't scratch the inside bed ya know.

I don't get it either. I bought a truck to use as a truck. Made for hauling.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
3/10/17 5:19 p.m.

The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Sidekick which is too small to load with a bike and too weak to pull a large trailer @ ~120hp. A GSXR750 is prolly to heavy for one of the "side-mount" things (or too heavy for the hitch I have) so I was looking for alternatives. Any other ideas?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/10/17 9:15 p.m.

Used to see them attached to cars, sometimes small cars towing a motorcycle. So it should do the job. Not really sure what it would do to the bike transmission if chain left on or shaft drive. I guess it shouldn't hurt it though. Just make sure the bike is in neutral and stays there.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/10/17 10:53 p.m.

Here be what ye nee

I have seen these on Craigslist every once in a while for a couple hundred bucks. Add the rail to a HF 4x8 trailer, make easy to unbolt and have a usable trailer most of the time that can double as a good bike hauler.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/11/17 11:06 a.m.

I use a wheel lift for buzzing around town doing rescues and when I dont feel like taking the shell off the truck. Mine is an Eagle Lift.

The only way to safely tow a bike with a wheel lift is to remove the chain otherwise kisss your trans good bye. I always have a spare wheel with a hard cheap tire so I dont ruin a good tire if you are towing any distance.

If you have the room I would suggest a trailer from Harbor Freight. The 4X8 is a handy size but the little 4X4 whith a bike rail is also good. if you want a little better quality the Homie Depot trailers are not bad.

If you only tow once and a while I would rent a Uhaul trailer.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
3/12/17 9:09 p.m.

I'd go with a roof rack

Back to being serious, a trailer would allow better tie down points than the dolly and avoid applying loads to the front wheel and suspension that are not normally encountered.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/13/17 9:25 a.m.

This weekend I had to go pick up a bike from the bottom of a canyon. After getting it pulled up It had a damaged rear wheel. We put it on the dolly backwards, tied the bars straight and worked ok.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
3/13/17 2:48 p.m.

for as cheap as a used three rail motorcycle trailer is, I see no reason to tow the bike like that.

hell, you can get a used single place jet ski trailer for next to nothing, add in a channel or 2x12 good to go.

last resort would be to befriend a pick-up truck owner.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
3/13/17 4:26 p.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: for as cheap as a used three rail motorcycle trailer is, I see no reason to tow the bike like that.

Unless you live in a apt and only have street parking.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
brrwO2ZjyA1o8r0p1lODpwBxS2gU5C4qEdgWXZKS1QE9FiaFDdjGHqOYItO8E0j7