Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/27/14 5:24 p.m.

Were they good?

Fast pickup/delivery?

Accurately priced to the estimate on the page based on your zip code?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/27/14 5:32 p.m.

I have used uship once and had three bikes where the buyer used uship (2 on my recommendation).

You can get a place that specializes in bikes. The one I contracted was great. They picked up a bike and a big box of spares and came to my house before 7:00 am so that I didn't have to be late for work.

Two of the sellers had good people, they came on time with nice trucks and trailers. The last guy bought my wife's RS 125 GP bike. The person who picked it up was not a professional driver, just trying to make money while she traveled from Michigan to her Moms in Florida. she jammed it in the bed of a pick up that was all ready full of crap and she was towing a boat for someone else. He went with the low bidder and I seem to remember that he got the bike shipped from Cleveland to Miami for a little over $200.

They would be my first call if I were to buy or sell a bike long distance again.

8/27/14 5:58 p.m.

In reply to Rusnak_322:

Did you have any issue determining the shipper's legality, insurance, etc?

Did you buy additional cargo insurance from UShip?

I must say, from the uninitiated - the whole operation seems pretty sleazy in the way they have your money before you really know anything about the shipper except what he put in his profile.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
8/27/14 6:16 p.m.

I got three quotes. Two had great reviews. I did a search at the time on their profile name and found people on other forums that loved them. I used a credit card for extra protection. I think I had insurance on the bike before it was picked up. I think Allstate insures your new purchase wether you call on them or not.

I could have saved a few $$, but I was shipping a hard to find bike. I think I paid around $430 to ship from NC to OH and the lowest bid was about $100 less but didn't have any feedback.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/14 7:22 p.m.

Where are you shipping from?

8/27/14 7:23 p.m.
Woody wrote: Where are you shipping from?

If I win... Central MO to NE PA. The huge swing in shipping prices, and trust issues with the whole operation is giving me trouble determining my max bid.

With a car - I just call one of two shippers and they are in $50 of each other. No issue. This damn thing - it's somewhere between $379 and $1400 depending on who you ask. At $1000 there is no bid I can legitimately place that would would make it worth my while.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/14 7:35 p.m.

I asked because there is a shipper coming to my house in a few days and then passing near your place in a few days and he's looking to fill up the truck.

On a semi-related note, I shipped and bike to Georgia with HaulBikes (the buyer set the whole thing up). They have a seriously professional operation.

8/27/14 7:54 p.m.
Woody wrote: On a semi-related note, I shipped and bike to Georgia with HaulBikes (the buyer set the whole thing up). They have a seriously professional operation.

I just went to their site and the pricing is clear, cut and dried. $15k insurance w/ $500 deductible included and daily direct shipping w/ door-to-door for an extra $30.

They should give you a finders fee. If I win, they get the call.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
8/28/14 9:28 p.m.

I used uship to get my speed triple from Iowa to TN. No problems, enclosed transport, it was around 500.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
8/29/14 10:06 a.m.

I have used it twice now, I shipped a item and the shipper was angry, because I was not going to send the payment until my buyer received the item. He told me that "I should have gotten the money upfront" (I would recommend payment once the it is delivered) the second I was the buyer and I received everything ahead of schedule. No damage both times. I got the card of a shipper and now I avoid the fees of doing business with USHIP.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cps876ETUAWcgD0FesdWMSVuAGeJC5OU5cuEU54wPPmjBtvb9IsDmWI6rYIn18zQ