spandak
spandak New Reader
12/24/17 12:33 a.m.

Hey all,

I'm a relatively new rider, I started about 6 months ago with an FZ6 a helmet and a hand me down jacket. I've really enjoyed riding but I feel a little vulnerable here in LA without any protection for my lower extremities. I've been looking at various options and came across armored jeans made by Saint and Pando Moto. Both of them make slim cut jeans which is what I'm looking for and they both look pretty good (I.e. Not goofy). I'm hoping to pick up a pair soon and I'm hoping someone here has some experience with either of these brands. Sooo, anyone?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/24/17 12:34 p.m.

Cycle gear sells some too but the leg length is to short  for me.   I went with TourMaster Venture Over pants, take out the linner in the warmer month and put it back in in sept for the last few months before the snow hits.  There not that hot in the summer and I like having the the protection and i can stuff'em in the sadlle bag when i get to work.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/26/17 11:34 p.m.

Kevlar jeans work.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/26/17 11:39 p.m.

One of the magazines, I can't remember which did a very unscientific test of riding jeans vs carhartt double layered jeans.

The test involved tossing a dummy out of a moving van with various pairs of riding jeans and the carhartt jean on.

All of them fared about the same.

spandak
spandak New Reader
12/29/17 11:23 a.m.

Hmm, fit seems to be the biggest question for me. I'll have to find a retailer and try them on. 

Thanks for the input guys

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/30/17 10:28 a.m.

Check out product reviews on revzilla. They are very thorough. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/30/17 6:18 p.m.

+1 for Revzilla reviews.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/30/17 7:14 p.m.

+1 for Revzilla reviews.

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
1/9/18 8:50 a.m.

I found, after buying riding jeans (a few brands, don't think any you mentioned), that I seldom use them now, for following reasons:

. They look worse than mom jeans when not on the bike. Defeating the purpose imho. Fit is not what you call flattering. Even the slim cut ones are kinda akward on me.

. They don't protect all that well, as previously mentioned. At best, some abrasion resistance for a few dozen yards. Maybe enough, better than naught, but not much other than light road rash protection.

. I seem to recall mine also said they only protect for a # number of washes before the fabric wears. Idk if this matters for newer garmets.

. You ride a motorcycle. Own it. Wear dumb looking but functional gear. Confidince looks better on you than mom jeans. Feels nicer too. 

. Armored mesh, with liners, seems to be the sweet spot for me. Wear shorts under mesh and it feels like you're naked out there. With liners and jeans its warm and dry. Some buddies like the aerostich style stuff better, try a few. Make sure they go on and off easily. 

All that said, I still often use them when I used to wear nothing. But I am not convinced the protection is signifigant. It may be false security, but its 'something'. 

Also mind full lined vs patches of aramid:

https://youtu.be/ZbfCu-M3kb8

Not quite what you asked, but hopefully helpful.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
1/24/18 4:33 p.m.

I've got the Klim jeans, kevlar plus hip and knee armor.  Better looking and cooler than my Klim Badlands goretex pants, but still not what I'd call flattering compared to a normal pair of jeans.

I usually wear them in the summer commuting to work tho, I figure they're much better than a regular pair of jeans and they aren't as hot to wear as the goretex Badlands is. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
15Lk1NJKgNLInVwhhS75zWSw6k08HVjoDdgV5v8c79d7ZxWopvKrQxgEDi284cbS