bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
8/15/16 9:36 p.m.

A 55 kilo package from Amsterdam just arrived on my doorstep.

It's a Workcycles Kr8 bakfiets, a traditional Dutch cargo bike. I bought it because I missed biking now that I've got little kids, and hated the other solutions I've tried like a trailer.

I imported it myself, saved a ton of money thanks to Brexit.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/16 1:55 a.m.

So that's what those are called! I've seen a couple running around Portland and didn't know what to call them. Cool bike. How's the steering work?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 6:07 a.m.

Does that just pivot in the middle behind the cargo box? I'm guessing that the handlebars are solidly mounted to the front half and you push them in the opposite direction that you want to go?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/16/16 6:19 a.m.

what is the advantage of this over a trike?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/16/16 7:51 a.m.

Here's a DIY version that shows one type of steering mechanism:

That isn't how the first one pictured does it, but the concept is similar. They are a long wheelbase bike with remote steering.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
8/16/16 8:07 a.m.

very cool.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/16 8:10 a.m.

Love this whole concept. For city dwellers, it makes so much sense.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
8/16/16 9:26 a.m.

MrJoshua's post is right. The handlebars connect to a steering arm at the bottom of the frame, which runs under the box, curving up to link up with the top of the front fork, which allows it to turn in conjunction with the bars. It's surprisingly intuitive in use, but it requires a pretty wide radius to turn. I can do a U-turn in my suburban neighborhood street though.

Advantages over a trike - it's more stable at speed, and so it tends to be quicker. Trikes are quite tippy. Still, this bike is NOT very fast. I think 10mph is probably pushing it, not that I'd want to go a lot faster with kids in the box.

I need another Grocery Life sticker...

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/16/16 11:16 a.m.

Nice. I have a trike. It is really heavy and would not be as good for getting around anywhere with traffic since it is wider. Mine has the turning radius of the Titanic.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/16/16 11:24 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Should make it front wheel drive and rear wheel steer. That should mess you up nicely.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/16/16 1:26 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to T.J.: Should make it front wheel drive and rear wheel steer. That should mess you up nicely.

What will really mess you up is having the handlebars turn the opposite direction of the wheel.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
8/17/16 8:35 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
Flight Service wrote: In reply to T.J.: Should make it front wheel drive and rear wheel steer. That should mess you up nicely.
What will *really* mess you up is having the handlebars turn the opposite direction of the wheel.

We made one of those as a kid it was fun to try and ride took a few days to retrain the brain!

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
8/17/16 7:42 p.m.

I've used it for daycare pickup yesterday and grocery shopping today. The kids very much approve. Boy, is it heavy - really makes you notice any slight incline in the road surface!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/17/16 8:32 p.m.

Awesome!

MattGent
MattGent Reader
8/21/16 9:46 a.m.

So who did you buy it from, how did you import it, and ballpark what did it cost?

I'm planning to move to a small town where a bakfiets could get a lot of use, and the only US options I've seen were expensive (like a decent Miata expensive) and had to be shipped a few thousand miles anyways. Loved seeing a mom in Amsterdam pile a couple kids and groceries into hers.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
8/21/16 7:09 p.m.

I got it directly from Workcycles in Amsterdam, who shipped it UPS direct to my door. The bike itself was about €1900 and shipping was €500 ish.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/22/16 8:57 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote:
petegossett wrote:
What will *really* mess you up is having the handlebars turn the opposite direction of the wheel.
We made one of those as a kid it was fun to try and ride took a few days to retrain the brain!

I suddenly want to build the fork truck of the cycling world.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cYsFSS8bsdXtaTIIlw4WhnefK8THwutqfP5ZeVEFAXpDROOMpQQ5Qo8iGjzex5w7