Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/8/18 8:10 a.m.

$229.27 for 600 mile service

• $172.50 for labor ($115/hr)
  • $26.22 for Motorrad 5w-40 ($13.11/bottle)
  • $17.11 for oil filter
  • $2.58 for gasket ring
  • $7.65 for shop supplies for repair order
  • $3.21 for taxes

The Service Advisor confirmed the side stand recall (sweet no recall letter was sent!!)

I told the Service Advisor about the new and strange noises that have developed. At 6500-7000rpm gives off this "bell ringing" type sound. Speed doesn't matter and has done it since day one. The other developed over the 600 miles and happens between 3000-6000 rpm. Their response was "noises seem normal for bike" :confused:

On the ride back (dealer is ~95 miles away), I played grab that parts while riding. The 3000-6000 rpm noise is the left mirror. I'll have to track down the other noise as well.

I was impressed with the purchasing process and salesperson at this dealership, but the service side is sinking any chances of me going back for another purchase. I may try another Motorrad dealer in another state for assistance. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/8/18 9:39 p.m.

I  bought my k1300s at Pandora’s in  Chattanooga and use them for service as well.  They’ve been great.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
7/9/18 2:43 p.m.

A $230 oil change. For a motorcycle. That has one cylinder and takes 2 quarts. Wow...

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
7/9/18 6:48 p.m.
skierd said:

A $230 oil change. For a motorcycle. That has one cylinder and takes 2 quarts. Wow...

That was my thought as well.  Is there anything else involved in the 600 mile service?  Or is an oil change really 1.5 hours labor?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/10/18 9:33 a.m.

Supposedly, they check the diagnosis system, coolant level, clutch play, throttle cable, front and rear brake pads for irregular wear, brake discs for wear, the brake lines, brake hoses, brake connections, tire pressures and tread wear, chain sag, brake fluid levels, steering-head bearing, lights and signalling equipment, and the battery charge state. The biggest thing is resetting the damn Service indicator. It can only be done by the dealership.

Costs varies wildly between Motorrad dealerships. Some don't charge for oil and filter.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
7/17/18 7:46 p.m.

You think that's bad, you should see the tab for the 600 mile service on the 650 scooter....don't ask.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/19/18 1:13 p.m.

I found the source of the bell ringing type noise. It's the horn vibrating. I'll try some sticky foam on the metal face of the horn.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/21/18 10:17 a.m.

I recently ran across a story on one of the BMW boards by a Canadian woman who has ridden hers on a 1000 mi in 24 hr iron butt ride (Saddlesore 1000) and still raves about the bike. I'll link it if I can relocate where I saw it. I think BMW have found a small bore winner with that thing but as an early adopter I think you will get to find all the niggles that need to be worked out. Order the $105 service manual CD off ebay for $10 when it becomes available and DIY all that maintenance stuff. It's all pretty basic wrenching when you have good pictures, part numbers and torque specs - even doing the valves on my very complicated S1000XR which seems to have been built entirely around the cylinder head. 

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/25/18 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker :

Based on the forum threads, reviews, and the one other owner I've met, BMW have a winner. Other than the early adpoter niggles, I can't deny how fun it is ride. Sure its not the most powerful in its class or the least expensive, but it light and tossible. It never feels like it will rip your face off or your holding on for dear life during a ride.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/30/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

Here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/klouseau

I found a post by her on the MOA board and followed it to FB - pretty cool story.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/1/18 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker :

Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mxduCoip2cjxyTzqSRejoepuDT33aV2On2tMon9SIFES4sxKVl6DN3COR9RhJwEb