nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/29/18 6:45 p.m.

okay i still have to get working on my endorsement.  Looked at an apartment in a rough part of town today as that is my current focus.

After that change the addy on my license etc. and finally push myself to get endorsed.

With that in mind I came across this article about the Buell Blast.

Thoughts?

I'm sure someone will say Honda Rebel especially the new ones.

But the prices in the second link below are very affordable.

msn link. 

cycletrader prices.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/30/18 12:55 a.m.

I loooove me a smallish four-stroke single! Too many motorcyclists get caught up in the more is better mindset. Where do you see yourself riding? IMO, a little thumper is the best motorcycle for an urban commuter/twisty backroads ride. I hear good things about the Blast, but never had a chance to sample one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
9/30/18 7:18 a.m.

They're OK but slow, and they lack most of the frame/suspension/brake cleverness which makes Buells special in the first place.  I'd be inclined to get an XB9S instead, unless you really feel like you need something lower powered to keep yourself out of trouble.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/30/18 10:20 a.m.

I had one for about two years nice little bike for getting around town. Two issues you should be aware of, most people do not know where the engine oil dip stick is (low oil), and keep an eye on the rear wheel bearing as some of the wheels were machined a tick big and will cause the bearing to fail. 

Good time of the year to start bike shopping, have fun.

Paul B

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/18 10:22 a.m.

For a beginner, I'd recommend a dual sport. Any dual sport, really.  Or a 250 Ninja (great resale, anvil reliable, sprightly performance).

The Blasts were hated by Erik Buell, as he saw it as a dilution of the Buell brand. Not really bad bikes, low, slow, and sort of heavy for what they are. They were the learner bike, so you could step up to a Harley. They are weird (to me) new school industrial design. 

However, if you like the Blast, I say go for it.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/30/18 11:24 a.m.

Those Cycle Trader prices are high.  You can get plenty of better beginner bikes for those prices.  Blasts are a very tough sale; no support from H-D, no love from buyers, and not a very good bike.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/30/18 1:53 p.m.
Cooter said:

Those Cycle Trader prices are high.  You can get plenty of better beginner bikes for those prices.  Blasts are a very tough sale; no support from H-D, no love from buyers, and not a very good bike.  

thanks.  to my novice mind they seemed cheap.  the ninja 250 is definitely on my radar unless I go all in and buy something new in the 300 to 400 range with no particular care for the brand.  think tu250 or rebel segment. smiley

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/30/18 8:22 p.m.

Blasts have been $1500 or less for about 8 years or so. Usually the same Blasts. 

Indy has actually been one of my go-to areas for cheap bikes. The only motorcycle I've paid more than $1200 for was my Ducati. Plenty of them even run. cheeky

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/30/18 8:42 p.m.

The few times I needed parts for my Blaster I went straight to H.D and had them in a few days. YMMV

Paul B

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
10/2/18 10:09 a.m.

45k miles on the punky buellster, love my BeLast.  

The rear bearing issue is caused by bad bearings, soft alloy hubs, rear axle overtorque, and bad axle/spacer design.  I blew a rear bearing before, spun in the hub and destroyed rear wheel.  

They burn oil, keep them topped off and the engine will run a long time. The bike tops out at 90mph.  The blast handle and brake pretty well.  

Plenty of parts availability between HD and ebay pretty easy to keep alive.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
11/4/18 8:48 a.m.

Actually I've seen some pretty clever blast cafe racers built on a tight budget period a lot lighter than mine Cyclone or lightning.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/4/18 9:23 a.m.

I'll just leave this here....

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
11/7/18 12:01 a.m.

well first weekend in a new apt. just completed.  Just up from the rough area to the not so rough area.  Change of addy first.  Then pursue the endorsement.  Well that and get under the SE-R and rip out the leaking exhaust for emissions later this month.  Bills. Bills. Bills.  So long as they're auto related I'm not gonna be that unhappy.smiley post script.  On my CL watch there is still a Blast sitting out there after this length of time.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
11/7/18 10:47 a.m.

They look an handle better off road dressed like this...  Wish i could have kept it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1MrzH4GvSFvZBxmigh5dSFfRGpVB4tnfurKzASDBEgmfFL9j1AnKWyFi5awUWLMb