jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
6/18/09 7:56 p.m.

Does anybody on here have a very simplified wiring diagram for a cafe racer project?

I bought a 74 CB360 and would like to build a cafe racer out of it. I would like the bike to be as simplified as possible when it's done.

I have looked around on line but I haven't found too much.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/18/09 8:49 p.m.

Tuck the wires as best you can, shouldn't be too many on that bike to worry about. That and you can run the wires in the handle bar to hide them more.

alex
alex HalfDork
6/18/09 9:56 p.m.

I'd start with a factory wiring diagram and eliminate from there.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/18/09 11:06 p.m.

The wiring harness on a 1974 motorcycle is pretty simple to start with. Unless you're going to remove the turn signals or horn, just about everything else is needed.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/19/09 9:57 a.m.

Also be very careful about running wires inside handlebars or inside the frame. I've seen many problems with "custom" bikes built that way. If you're going to do that, you should, at a minimum, wrap a bunch of tape around anything inside the tubes and use very good, well anchored gromets at both ends. You're really asking for trouble if you do that, in my opinion and from my observations. I hear those OCC bikes, "as seen on TV" have a lot of electrical problems from them just running the wires through the frame.

Otherwise, as stu sez, there probably isn't going to be much to eliminate unless you pitch the turn signals.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
6/19/09 5:48 p.m.

Are the electrical issues from rubbing on the inside of the frame?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/19/09 9:41 p.m.

I strongly suspect that when running wires inside the frame, the problems you will have are chafeing from where the wires bend and go into the frame, then from them bouncing around inside the frame. I've heard of many people, including some I've known personally (non-1ntr4net, yo) that had bikes like that and suddenly the smoke escaped. Oh, sure, it looks cool and clean and all, but if you can't ride the thing, it's useless as far as I'm concerned. Look at the OCC type shows if they're still on (I don't get satellite anymore). They drill a hole, run the wire in it. No deburring the inside or anything. Just asking for trouble.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/22/09 9:44 p.m.

Speaking of old motorcycle wiring, I re-wired mine, but keep getting a short-circuit. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Note: Assume I know nothing about this.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/23/09 8:15 a.m.

How did you rewire it? I've seen a lot of problems. How many fuses/breakers do you have? Do you have a schematic? Generally, if you disconnect sub-systems and look for the short to go away, that's one way. Like blinkers, etc. Go over all the wires, even hidden ones under the tank, etc., and look for any sign of even slightly damaged insulation. Look especially where the wires bend or pass between 2 things like the tank, bars, fender. Some bikes have wires that run under the rear fender. That's a big problem area. Look where wires pass through things like the fender or into turn signal stalks.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/23/09 10:45 a.m.

I replaced my '75 RD350's wiring harness a while back, as mine was missing a few key connections. I re-wired it with the more complete harness last night, but keep in mind that all of the wiring and electronics are 30 years old, and haven't worked as long as I have had it. The wiring is still flexible and doesn't feel brittle, so it should be okay. It only has one 20A cylinder fuse. I don't have the headlight or indicator connections right now, so they are open for the time being.

What's the best way to get a ground on a powder coated frame?

Edit: And just for clarification, I really need to know what to look for to find a short; I assume the "where" is everywhere. Thankfully all of the wiring is easily accessible.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
6/23/09 12:01 p.m.

Ground: Drill hole, tap, put screw in. Optional: Use self tapping screw.

What to look for: "...look for any sign of even slightly damaged insulation...." Anything discolored. Any signs of black. Connectors too close to ground. Connectors half blown off. A single strand of wire through insulation is enough to cause you great problems. All your "open" connections should be taped over and down.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/24/09 8:49 a.m.

Thanks Hess; that helps out a lot.

alex
alex HalfDork
6/24/09 8:53 a.m.

To get a good ground on a powdercoated or painted frame, you'll also want to take off the finish in the spot where you're making the connection. Sandpaper, wire brush, whatever works. Best to sacrifice that little spot of finish for a known good ground.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/24/09 12:07 p.m.

That's something I was curious about. Other than the frame, everything looks pretty ratty so a few chipped areas here and there don't bother me.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/3/09 12:08 a.m.

cafe canoe?

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/3/09 11:11 a.m.

Here's a diagram for a '71. About the only difference is in the warning lights, the '71 has them in the two gauges and the '74 has a separate light bar, and the wiring differs a bit. http://www.hondachopper.com/images/cb750k1-wiring-diagram.jpg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
15twKAAsEnENxY3WczfpGiQOecp6NLueAq2saGxGX01TdRa4FKjR9oc0UfYp7qq9