Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/16 1:14 p.m.

Does anyone know a reputable shop that offers this?

I have a 2000 Yamaha R1 that I purchased new. I use to ride it on a daily basis until 2006 when I had my first kid after that I gave it to my brother.

Same thing, he had a son last January and it has been sitting. I went to start it last week and its runs rough. The carbs need to be cleaned, it has happened to me before.

This time I dont feel like doing the work as I have little to no time. I have them pulled and would like to send them off.

Any recomendations are appreciated. I can do the balancing and all that once I get them back.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/15/16 10:05 a.m.

Have you checked with local motorcycle repair shops? Your local Yamaha dealer may be your best option.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
12/15/16 10:15 a.m.

I would say a local private shop with an older guy running the place and doing the work. From my past experience the dealers seem to have on seasoned veteran tech, then a lot of younger ones to keep costs down. The job will probably end up in the hands of one of the younger ones that may not have attention top detail needed with the carbs. Its not a pull and replace like an injector.

I know that one of the dealers around here would not perform this job, I am guessing to many complaints about the cost.

The other option is to see if you can find a clean used set on the e bay web. Last time I went looking there where people selling serviced carbs, at what seemed to be a reasonable price. Then you have your set that you can take your time, clean correctly and have ready for the next time you bike has a long stint in storage.

Steve

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
12/15/16 8:07 p.m.

Ivans Jet kits

Talk to this guy. Get them jetted while at it or at least have him do his magic. Is it the cheapest? Probably not but I like his work.

He did my carbs several years ago. I was very pleased and quick turn around.

Slippery
12/16/16 2:51 p.m.

Thanks guys. I ended up calling Ivan. He does not service them but based on my location he gave me the contact info to a small shop that he says has purchased hundreds of his kits, Blais Motorcycle. Hopefully that means he is good.

I called Kevin Blais and he said it would be $200 in labor plus parts. I have all the parts already from Yamaha. He is OK with me bringing just the carbs.

I will bring them early January and will report back on how it worked out.

Slippery
12/16/16 2:56 p.m.

Here is a picture, everyone likes pictures

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
12/16/16 11:22 p.m.

Sweet! Glad you got the situation worked out.

Good luck =)

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
12/16/16 11:52 p.m.

In my experience, you've done the hardest part! Pulling bowls, floats, jets.... you're set! Have it done in 1-3 hours depending on level of gunk. Use guitar strings to help clean out the jets.

Slippery
12/17/16 8:08 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

My plan was to do it. I have done it before, but I have been travelling quite a bit and everytime I am home something else needs my attn. I pulled these things 6 months ago and they still have not been touched.

Maybe I will go ahead and break them open myself, but worst case I have a backup plan now.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
12/17/16 8:27 a.m.

See those little screws on the bottom of the carbs?

Those are called drains!

Those screws can be reached without pulling the carbs.

But it is too late for this lesson......

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/17/16 8:44 p.m.

For winter or long term storage, proper prep will eliminate the need to pull and clean. Add Startron to tank, run till warm, change the oil, run motor till warm again get fresh oil up in the rocker boxes. Drain the bowls. pull the fuel line fill a small bottle with Marvel mystery oil and squirt into the fuel line until all bowls are full. Clamp the vacuum line to the petcock if so equipped and pull choke and crank 3-4 revs to draw the oil into the jets. plug the tail pipes and your done. Come spring drain the MMO out turn to prime and start the motor. no need to flush the carbs just drain and fire it up

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
1/21/17 9:47 a.m.

Update?

Slippery
1/21/17 11:05 a.m.

Got back a couple of weeks ago and forgot about this.

I am a single dad of three all this week as my wife is out of town for work, so I probably wont be able to touch them.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
1/21/17 8:24 p.m.

Ahh the life. Kids take a lot of attn :) I have 3 under 6 and about all I could hope for in your situation is about 2 hours a night!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/11/18 7:45 p.m.

Officially started. Wish me luck

Slippery
3/25/18 3:39 p.m.

Finally finished cleaning the carbs, as you guys can see I take my time laugh

I started putting the bike together. Installed a set Motion Pro barbs to sync the carbs, put the tank back on, added about a gallon of fuel and started reattaching the throttle cables. While doing that I noticed a puddle of gas on the floor. I was smart enough to buy new gaskets for the petcock, but not smart enough to install them. Its leaking from the petcock and also the fuel sender. I ordered the $4 sender gasket and will hopefully finish it next week.

Slippery
3/25/18 3:51 p.m.

Some pics of the process, mind you its no Buell but still a pain in the ass wink

I did one carb first to familiarize myself and once that one was finished, I did the other three.

5 valves per cylinder. The three intake valves are tiny!

Slippery
3/25/18 4:02 p.m.

All the low speed jets where completely clogged up. One was a real pita to open up, I tried everything; the ultrasonic, some nasty carb cleaner, fishing line, everything. I finally was able to clean it up using a metal bristle from a Harbor Freight cleaning brush. 

One or two of the needle plungers was stuck, those cleaned up easily.

You cannot see it in the pictures, but I changed all the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs, and the fuel filter as well.

I bought this motorcycle brand new back in 2001 as a leftover from the previous year. Paid $8800 OTD for it. I then proceeded to put 14000 trouble free miles on it in the following 4 years. All it needed was quite a few tires, wheel bearings, and oil. Coming from a '96 Honda 600 F3, this bike was quite a revelation for me ... torque everywhere and as light as a 600. The only problem I ever had are the stupid tank slappers.

I have a new set of tires and bearings for it which I am going to attempt to install next weekend. After that, I hope to be able to ride it to work at least once a week.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
3/26/18 8:48 a.m.

Sounds Good!

Have you added a steering damper to help with "Tank Slappers"?  There are so low cost units that do work well.

Slippery
3/26/18 9:58 a.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :

Back when I was riding the bike, I could not afford the ones that where available. After a while I learned how to deal with it by letting go of the handlebars and not fight it. I also knew when to expect it. 

I might check them out again now, but not desperate to sink money on this bike. 

Slippery
5/5/18 10:16 p.m.

Carbs done laugh

Tires/wheel bearings are next. I will do it myself, wish me luck. 

Slippery
5/5/18 10:19 p.m.

New chain also while I am at it

Already have the new chain and tires. Will see if I can break the bead myself or pick up a Harbor Freight bead breaker. 

And the new tires are here as well: 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vJ4ZUCa7oRZGgjcbdyt2C2LaGEZO1kOdtoR7QfkUn6Kh5pceYwfncwz8yJal8yxl