Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
9/3/12 11:22 a.m.

Planning ahead to store my recently acquired bikes for the winter...anyone use these? Your thoughts?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/3/12 2:22 p.m.

I have had one for 4 years. I use it to hold my wife's bike and she doesn't use it a lot. Recently it got the rope hooked into the pully and stuck, but other than that it has worked great. I have my bike hung on the wall below it. We don't have lots of wall space in the garage.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/3/12 2:22 p.m.

I have had one for 4 years. I use it to hold my wife's bike and she doesn't use it a lot. Recently it got the rope hooked into the pully and stuck, but other than that it has worked great. I have my bike hung on the wall below it. We don't have lots of wall space in the garage.

J308
J308 Reader
9/3/12 3:42 p.m.

Is your ceiling so high that you need a hoist or is it just a heavy bike?

I have mine upside down in hooks.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
9/3/12 3:43 p.m.

I use the double pulley ones for both are Kayaks. never had an issue with them.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
9/3/12 4:50 p.m.
J308 wrote: Is your ceiling so high that you need a hoist or is it just a heavy bike? I have mine upside down in hooks.

Weak wife.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
9/3/12 4:59 p.m.

I just hang them upside down from a couple hooks.

cdowd
cdowd New Reader
9/5/12 7:52 a.m.

I use them for storing the bikes in the winter. We have 4 sets of them. They work very well, and my 9 and 12 year old can get them down without a problem. They usually have to do it for my wife though.

Chris

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/5/12 8:03 a.m.

Ive thought about cutting out the drywall in a maybe 10' long section between 2 of the joists in the garage, building a 2x4 and plywood platform to replace it, and rigging up a winch operated lift system for raising and lowering the platform in that space. Bikes, holiday decorations, whatever could go there.

Ive never used a commercially available pulley/hoist system.

J308
J308 Reader
9/5/12 10:07 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
J308 wrote: Is your ceiling so high that you need a hoist or is it just a heavy bike? I have mine upside down in hooks.
Weak wife.

In that case, I know someone that uses them for kayaks and they work great. No idea what brand though. I'd forge ahead.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/12 12:58 p.m.

I like these wallhangers from Home Depot. They're strong, cheap and fold up when you're not using them.

...or, ceiling hooks.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/12 1:12 p.m.

Here's what I use for kayaks:

Photobucket

Four eye bolts into the rafters with two tie down straps. When loading the kayak, I hook both ends of the front strap to the eyes and leave it fully slacked. I extend the rear strap all the way and hang it from one eye. Then I put the bow into the front loop, push the stern up with one hand and hook the rear strap, then tighten both. This system doubles as my bicycle / minibike work stand.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/5/12 9:09 p.m.

I have 10 1/2 foot ceiling in my garage. But I also have very little wall space.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EmQKA5rWGxUGSr2FIEQtkCZNPW4o2A49dQolcaXcb0uBGixm8L4xNPuCS8Qonzlj