benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/26/09 4:19 p.m.

I was curious if one of you folks could explain how to use the choke properly. My little buell has an automatic choke so I never learned the proper way to use the choke. My Mom needed my truck and let me ride her sportster, but I'm not sure the proper way to use the choke. I know you open it up to get the bike started, but my mom says to ride around some, then put it halfway in and once the bike is warmed put it all the way in. I still ride the bike but would like to know if the choke is just for starting or also helps the bike warm up. I know if you try to start without the choke the bike won't start because it isn't getting enough gas.

Any insights would be appreciated.

alex
alex HalfDork
5/26/09 6:31 p.m.

You're not 'opening' the choke, in fact, you're closing a butterfly (usually on the opposite side of the carb from the throttle butterfly) that restricts the volume of intake air, thereby enriching the mixture. As the engine warms, you lean the mixture to normal running condition by opening the choke and allowing more air into the mixture.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
5/26/09 6:43 p.m.

I'm just curious of the best operation of the choke, should I adjust it as the bike warms or just leave it out and then put it in once the bike is warm? By out I mean pull the knob.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
5/26/09 6:56 p.m.

I just play it by ear. You'll learn pretty quickly by trial and error.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/26/09 8:24 p.m.

play by ear....

my kaw needs the choke when the weather is in the 30's and below....even then it's only for about 2 minutes. you can hear the engine change.

skierd
skierd Dork
5/27/09 12:04 a.m.

I love having fuel injection.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
5/27/09 5:47 a.m.

Wait, your Mom rides a Sportster?

Some UJMs have not a choke, but an enrichener. It doesn't close off the air going into the carb but gies it a jolt of more gas.

Dan

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
5/27/09 8:08 a.m.

How long I leave the choke on depends on the outside temperature.

In the summer, I use the choke to start the bike, then put my gear on, and by the time I'm backing out of the garage, I can turn the choke off.

Spring and Fall, I leave the choke on until I'm out of the neighborhood (1 mile or so), otherwise the engine sputters and pops.

In the dead of winter (<45* or so), the choke is on for at least a mile, usually more like 2 miles. The CV carb and Evo motor are pretty cold blooded. When it's really cold, it can take a few tries to get the motor started as well.

My neighbor has a fuel-injected 883 and it run SOOOO much better when cold it's not even funny. Really makes me want to cobble together a microsquirt system with a Buell throttle body.

4g63t
4g63t Reader
5/27/09 8:16 a.m.

Don't even need a Buell throttle body (it'd be cheaper) you could use one from an 07 up Sportster.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 8:29 a.m.

..and she knows how to start it from cold.

If it's a kickstart sportster I'll bet she's really a man.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/27/09 11:43 a.m.

CHOKE YOURSELF!

I have nothing to ad, it's been covered prtty well. I stick with the let the bike run with the choke as i gear up meathod, and on he rarest of occasions, it stays on until I get to the end of my neighborhood. I just wanted to post that picture.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
5/28/09 8:59 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote: My neighbor has a fuel-injected 883 and it run SOOOO much better when cold it's not even funny. Really makes me want to cobble together a microsquirt system with a Buell throttle body.

What you really need is a water cooled motor!

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
5/29/09 8:49 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote: What you really need is a water cooled motor!

Meh, just more stuff to go wrong. I like the nearly complete lack of required maintenance on a H-D. No valves, no chain, etc. Just add gas and go.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/29/09 1:07 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote: Meh, just more stuff to go wrong. I like the nearly complete lack of required maintenance on a H-D. No valves, no chain, etc. Just add gas and go.

H-Ds have no valves? i didn't think they were 2-cycles

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 New Reader
5/29/09 1:13 p.m.

he's talking about the hydraulic lifters that don't require regular maintenance, but it is a false economy. When you add up the cost to replace all the parts that fall off and all the oil that drips out, it is cheaper the keep a ducati running.

• just messin' with ya, I like HD just fine.
CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
6/1/09 8:41 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: H-Ds have no valves? i didn't think they were 2-cycles

Hydraulic lifters = no valve adjustments. The only regular maintenance is fluid changes. Belts last a long time, if you stay on pavement. Brakes and tires wear well too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ckpo5FX7F6uCvgGZW3l2UszQCOfkpjSsOXTW2nQBS4mDXlMeuiZxCx1nYcS8Yps