sundancevette
sundancevette New Reader
6/27/09 5:09 p.m.

I think I've found a pretty good deal on a 1st bike (may be different after I've seen it), but its a 1975 CL360 that is in good riding condition for $750. I know I'll fit on it OK at 6' and 180lbs, but does anyone know if down the road a passenger would even be a possibility on this bike?

(Ironically, this would be the 1st vehicle I've bought capable of driving itself home, except I can't ride it yet)

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
6/27/09 5:11 p.m.

I'd say you could double it, but the bike won't be fast or happy.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
6/27/09 5:26 p.m.

Back in 1975 (from what I heard, naturally, as I wasn't born back then...), a CL360 was pretty much a do it all, all around bike, something you could hit light trails with or tour across several states with a passenger on. Sure, it will slow it down a bit, but it's got the pegs for it and the weight rating.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/27/09 6:07 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Back in 1975 (from what I heard, naturally, as I wasn't born back then...), a CL360 was pretty much a do it all, all around bike, something you could hit light trails with or tour across several states with a passenger on. Sure, it will slow it down a bit, but it's got the pegs for it and the weight rating.

Correct. Lots of people rode two up on bikes that size, or even smaller - I put on many miles riding two up on bikes as small as 90cc.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
6/27/09 6:35 p.m.

I recently sold my 74 CL360. Fun bike, I put dual sport tires on it. A carb rejet and freeflowing airfilters woke it up a bit. Two up is possible, the seat is pretty big.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/27/09 6:50 p.m.

I've seen plenty of two-upping on 49cc scooters, so I imagine it won't hurt a 360 cc bike.

alex
alex HalfDork
6/28/09 1:06 p.m.

Yep. My girlfriend and I actually bikepooled on her 360 for a week or so while my bike was down for repairs. On anything but the interstate, it will be perfectly happy.

She actually preferred pillion on that bike over any of my others, since it's so roomy.

sundancevette
sundancevette New Reader
6/28/09 7:33 p.m.

Thanks for the info guys, makes me feel better about this bike (I look at it tomorrow). By the way, I see only the word "canoe" posted for some ads. What's up with that?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
6/28/09 7:36 p.m.

It's a trick for reporting spam. The mods search for that word regularly.

sundancevette
sundancevette New Reader
7/1/09 11:38 a.m.

Do you guys have reservations about the handling or stopping power (front and rear drums) of these bikes. Noting it won't be taken on any road over 55mph.

thanks for the help guys

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
7/1/09 12:01 p.m.

I've never had a problem on any bike with drum brakes. If I were to run one on a track, that would be another thing..., but around town never a prob.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/09 12:41 p.m.
sundancevette wrote: Do you guys have reservations about the handling or stopping power (front and rear drums) of these bikes. Noting it won't be taken on any road over 55mph. thanks for the help guys

Should be fine if they're well maintained and adjusted.

sundancevette
sundancevette New Reader
7/12/09 8:54 p.m.

Well, I passed on the CL, but instead I picked up this 1986 Nighthawk 450 for $650. Considering the brand new Dunlops and the fact that it runs and drives, I think I did well.

The worst part is, after I fix the seat cover, I don't know what I'll do without something on it to tinker with.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/09 9:10 p.m.
sundancevette wrote: The worst part is, after I fix the seat cover, I don't know what I'll do without something on it to tinker with.

Good deal on a nice bike!

If you're looking for something to tinker with, go around and clean all of the electrical contacts and grounds and, especially the contacts in the fuse box. Fuse contacts corrode easily, adding resistance and blowing main fuses when you are down hill from your home. Always carry spare fuses and an emery board.

Then ditch the points for a Pertronix kit.

Just curious, did you find a Honda tool kit under the seat?

sundancevette
sundancevette New Reader
7/12/09 9:17 p.m.

Great thought, but I think it's already solid state. (I think)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IdyCPjQftikPHk6R2RDbNJUSseI3EE25t0QKmc8t5BKzvTZ0qkB7yL1e7UmIFTaU