Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/26/16 8:43 a.m.

So I am just exploring the option to commute on something with two wheels. Mostly just to cut fuel costs.

40 mile each way in southern Michigan. I can do either 50mph roads or 70mph freeway.

• Is is possible to ride in the snow?
  • Realistically, how much is gear to be safe?
  • I have read posts that real life mpg for use around 70mph would drop to low 50s is that real?

My commute just may be best served by a Volt/Insight/Diesel. But wanted to look behind this door too.

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/26/16 9:16 a.m.

The are some electric bikes that'll do that range too if your so inclined.

I would still wear all the gear that I would on a normal motorcycle. Sliding down the asphalt at 70 feels the same wether you fall off a scooter or a motorcycle. It's up to you to determine what that level is though. Personally, I would be ATGATT.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/26/16 9:31 a.m.

I rode year round when I lived in Michigan, My commute was from Romeo (28mile and van Dyke) to 11 mile and Woodward and Crooks Road and Auburn Road. During the warmer months I had various 650s and 1100s, The winter months I had a CR500 with studded tires.

I tell everyone to wear as much gear as they an afford, Full face helmet, jacket, boots and gloves at a minimum.

Bikes will save on gas but maintenance will suck your wallet. Tires, brakes, chains are all things that get used up and pricey.

Then having to plate and insure another vehicle is another expense.

But after all that I would say giggles per dollar you cany have more fun than on a bike. I ride 365 days a year here but it is Southern California. My commute is about 70 miles each way. I do encounter Snow in the winter and 100+ degrees for months on end. Its been 122 days since we had a drop of rain here so that is a plus.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/26/16 9:35 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: - Is is possible to ride in the snow?

Is it possible? Yes. Do you want to? No.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/26/16 10:01 a.m.

I am all about safety so buying and wearing the best gear won't be a question. More not sure how much waterproof (Heated?) gear costs to start from scratch.

I guess studded scooter tires aren't an option?

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/26/16 10:21 a.m.

You can stud the tires.

If you cruise the Goldwing and adv.com you can piece together some gear, Heated grips are easy enough to put on and all I ever used to use, A good snowmobile suit and winter helmet sould be enough on a small scooter.

The older Honda Elite 250 is freeway legal but questionable to the LEO. Personally I would look into a smaller Motorcycle if you want to maybe ride in snowy conditions, The bigger wheels are a plus when trying to ride in the tire path of a car in front of you.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
8/27/16 9:01 a.m.

I ride a scooter year round,as long as the roads are good. I will not ride in the slush or snow- that's just plain stupid. I've been caught in snow but if the roads are covered-the scooter or bike gets parked. Almost anything 150cc and over will commute @50mph, and although a 250scooter will run at 70, it's pretty close to redline to do it for any length of time. A 250 Ninja or CBR is a different story. Size(cccs) has a lot to do with gas mileage. My 400 Majesty will drop anywhere(depending how long) from 2-5mpgs running @ 70 compared to 55mph- but it never has returned less than 53mpg and usually is 58-62. My 250 Morphous has never returned less than 65mpgs, including a 40 mile WOT run at 78 actual mph. The 650 Burgman averages 51-53 mpgs and is rarely run under highway speeds. As far as gear goes, a minimum, IMHO, should include a full face or modular helmet, good gloves, an armored jersey or jacket, and a decent pair of over the ankle leather boots. Jeans are comfortable, but provide no abrasion resistence. Shorts, tees, tank tops wifebeaters, flip flops,etc. don't belong on a bike or scooter. I think heated gear is a waste of money-I've commuted 75 miles each way at temps below freezing, with no issues. A good place for gear is: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

The close out section has good deals on quality stuff and even used gear is available in the customers closet section.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
8/29/16 5:09 p.m.

How do you ride a CR500 on the road legally?
I had one for years and loved it..for all its evils ways.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
8/29/16 5:28 p.m.

I put a lighting kit and turn signals on it, It was easier back then, Michigan was pretty cool about stuff like that.

scottdownsouth wrote: How do you ride a CR500 on the road legally? I had one for years and loved it..for all its evils ways.
Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
8/31/16 11:04 a.m.

I think I will limit things to being non winter riding. So I see this 2016 Burgman 200 ABS nearby and will go sit on it to see how it feels. I am a short guy, 5ft so trying the thing out is key I guess. Only rode a motocross bike my friend owned for about 1 minute. Otherwise I used to ride a bicycle a lot before needing to drop kids at school etc. Now in a new phase where I will only be commuting alone and not be able to get the kids due to work timing.

So how much price negotiation is there in scooters?

Also see this one on craigslist. Burgman 200 ABS 2014

So gear I pieced together online seems to add up to around $1000 is that reasonable?

minimac
minimac SuperDork
8/31/16 6:58 p.m.

Everything I've read about the 200 has been good. The only real problem is the ergos, which for you, should not be a problem. Having ABS is a definite plus and the price on the 2014 is reasonable.Unless you're spending $600+ on a helmet, $1K for gear is pretty high. Check out the closeouts on the site I referenced earlier. A good full face helmet can be bought for $85, a new armored jacket for less than $100, armored pants for less than $150, good padded gloves for $50 and under.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/2/16 11:03 a.m.

If you take the 50mph road MPG can approach 100+ if you trade power for it.

Almost any bike under a liter should beat 50MPG steady state at 70. My R1200GS Adv with big square luggage loaded to 800+ lbs is good for 42 at 90 and I consider that a worst case scenario.

For your commute I'd be seriously interested in a Zero electric bike.

Can you ride in snow... yes. But you would want a dual sport bike on full knobbies. It's great fun but not necessarily a safe or efficient way to get thru a storm, and is not going to meet your goals any other time of the year at all. My experience with this is mostly doing donuts and falling over on a real dirt bike. I did ride the GS thru a few miles of heavy snow squall last year and it was not terribly hilarious. Do not recommend.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/15/16 1:22 p.m.

Well a Michigan state legislator just died on his motorcycle and it is all in the news so now the family is all about me not getting the scooter. If I do I will definitely post it up!

Thanks for all the input.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
9/22/16 5:45 a.m.

People die every day in cars in Michigan. Is the family all about not driving a car too?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gd0Xt9IDyV1VzNxrlcfE4Jzrf1snBh5d6zw7ZOlPau2o075PQs2SuiwxtPc8e4vE