problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/22/10 12:35 a.m.

I just put together the stand described in this link:

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

Just takes 2 sheets of 4x8 plywood and a jigsaw.

diy motorcycle work stand

I'm gonna paint it and use some vinyl peel-n-stick tiles for the top.

And if you need the space, it breaks down in minutes and stores flat.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
2/22/10 7:34 a.m.

A few thoughts, how id the top attached? If it isn't screwed down, it will pop up when you first start to roll the bike on the table. I have one that I made with two end tables for bases. For the top, I used two 2x8s screwed under a 3/4" plywood top. it weighs a ton and it would still lift up with a light bike going on it. I also can slide my ramp under my table when not in use and I have storage for part containers.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
2/22/10 7:48 a.m.

I also put in the kits for the trailer wheel chocks to make it easier to load a bike or put it on the stand by my self.

here is a pic

From

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/22/10 2:55 p.m.

The tops not screwed down. There's little 1x1x3" blocks underneath to keep it from sliding around. I don't know that it will pop up, there's no overhang on the ends. If it does happen, i can throw a bungee cord or tie-down across the front of the stand using the tie-down holes.

alex
alex Dork
2/22/10 6:54 p.m.

Nice. Is there enough space to walk up next to the bike to load it up there?

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
2/22/10 7:47 p.m.

Looks like a pretty straight forward design and looks like it turned out really well.

I'll have to keep it in mind when I get around to a motorcycle project.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
2/22/10 8:01 p.m.

How much did that set you back? I picked up a set of Lockhart Phillips stands on Craigslist for $50. Now thats my idea of a budget work stand!

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/23/10 8:43 a.m.

If you've already got a jigsaw, it'll cost you the price of two sheets of MDF, about $60-70. The difference being that while I'm standing or leaning over to work on the bike, you'll be down on your knees, on the cold concrete, bent over w/ your nose 3" off the ground looking for the drain plug hole.

I've got a swingarm stand and a fork stand, but the point of a work stand like this is to get the bike elevated to a comfortable working height.

alex
alex Dork
2/23/10 12:01 p.m.

After working on lifts at the shop for three years, I've resolved never to work on a bike on the ground again. Until I can justify buying a real table lift, I have a feeling one of these will find its way into my garage.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
2/23/10 11:21 p.m.

This is berkleying awesome man. The weather is supposed to suck this weekend and I think I have a project.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Reader
2/24/10 8:14 a.m.
alex wrote: After working on lifts at the shop for three years, I've resolved never to work on a bike on the ground again. Until I can justify buying a real table lift, I have a feeling one of these will find its way into my garage.

+1 It is SO much easier / better to work on a bike that is a few feet off the ground.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/26/10 8:01 p.m.

FYI, I just had a friend who is a cabinet builder strongly suggest that I build this out of something other than MDF. He says MDF has no span-strength. He says its good on compression-strength, so it'll hold the bike up fine, but he worries about the top piece will bow and break. Also that the tie-down holes on the front piece will eventually snap right off at the corners. Finally he reminded me that MDF is not great with humidity and would be real bad with standing fluids on the floor soaking up into the support pieces and destroying it.

I'm gonna use it for now, since its built. The first project going up there is a scooter, so I'm not worried about weight. But if you decide to build this, go w/ some plywood, not MDF or particle board.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/26/10 10:31 p.m.
problemaddict wrote: But if you decide to build this, go w/ some plywood, not MDF or particle board.

Definitely. MDF is good stuff, but it ain't real structural.

specialkay
specialkay
3/27/10 5:12 p.m.

If you want a nice stand a hospital bed works really nice as it cranks up and down and tilts to make it easier to roll the bike on also. I've had one for 5 years and it holds my 600 lb quad without a problem. It goes from about 16" off the ground to about 36" high. My table is 3' by 7'.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EJThTZA35SS5XemVFyriTVQ6uHFvQkhpnDDsxKcaVUGbPwOceHW9aBh1sGwnBb9x