akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/21/18 3:56 p.m.

Today is Victoria Day in Kanada (our version of Memorial Day - to be slightly different than y'all), so I took advantage of a beautiful day and started performing an everything-ectomy on the Gold Wing. Anyways, it seems the rear master cylinder, or one of its hoses, is leaking slightly. The brake fluid has done what it does and has eaten the paint off the frame below and around the master cylinder.

Question! What needs to be done to get new paint to stick there? I've heard that the brake fluid may not allow paint to stock well to the metal after it has been on there for a while. I'm thinking years of exposure in this instance.

Is it wipe well with the right solvent and go? Is there more to it? 

Thanks again. smiley

BTW it looks so much better with all of the luggage and fairing gone. The fairing has taken a lot of vibration damage it seems.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/21/18 5:05 p.m.

Brake cleaner wipe until you get no more color on the rag. Then switch to Acetone. when clean alow to dry over night.  If you have time in the morning heat area with propane torch (flame not a flash light  ;)  ) after heating you likely see some goo on the surface let it cool some then wipe with acetone rage again, let it flash off prime and paint.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
5/21/18 5:19 p.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf :

Will definitely attempt when I'm ready. With the torch, do I let it dance around some, or give it the bidness?  I have time to torch it more than once so I will likely torch it twice to be sure.

If the paint doesn't take the first time, I have lots of time to try the process again.

Thanks laugh

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UfBB0mBkrMH9ePRt4PBOP09fdXCDB5RabVLmEzZjt8sfHew6v8ltQrPt2cdwoXek