ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/16/09 4:25 p.m.

Hey all,

I was asked by a somewhat less mechanically inclined friend to go look at an '89 EX500 with him the other day. The bike lacked cosmetic refinement, but the price seemed right, so I took it for a spin for him.

What I noticed was a clackety noise in the engine on wind-down toward the lower end of the RPM range. That is to say that if you revved the engine and let it idle back down, there was a noise. It didn't sound like a top end noise. More like a timing chain or something in the clutch. It happened in gear with the clutch in, in neutral, or while out riding.

I just thought I'd throw it out here to see if this is something common that is either no problem or a major problem. I hadn't thought of posting here until I noticed the other EX500 thread.

Thanks for any info, Clem

Taiden
Taiden Reader
7/16/09 4:26 p.m.

Well, I don't know if there is anything wrong with my bike... but it seems to be in good shape and it does the same thing.

You hear it, but it isn't an alarming sound.

Edit: O yeah, I have a 1990 EX500

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/17/09 6:57 a.m.

Kind of a sewing machine sound? it's normal

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/17/09 7:58 a.m.

I wouldn't call it a sewing machine sound. More like an "I think it could be a timing chain or tensioner issue" kind of sound. Now, if that sort of thing is normal, I can accept that. But it sounds a little bigger than a Bernina to me.

Thanks, Clem

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/17/09 8:13 a.m.

may want to replace the tensioner. they are known to get week on early models

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/17/09 9:47 a.m.

Thanks for the info,

I'll pass it along to my (hopefully soon) new riding buddy ;).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ttECZgN7JnjnHw1tTpAGbz2VgNwL20OedHd9gqIGCKoNyc28YfXXotGwF1uTDDy