benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/19/09 6:30 p.m.

I just wanted to tell you folks who have sport bikes with fairings to be sure and get frame sliders for your bike if you can. My little blast doesn't have any place to put the things but I could use them.

The reason I'm posting this is the other day I saw a biker riding an R1 at the gas station and it looked like it was leaking a bit of oil. Now this biker had full leathers on so he must have been serious, but he didn't have the sliders on his bike. Filling up the mercedes gave me plenty of time to examine the guys situation. It looks like he laid his bike down on one of the many twisty roads around here(SF bay area), scratched up the lower fairing real good, but he cracked his primary case. Oil was coming out and the guy had rags to keep it from getting all over the place. All it would have cost was 100$ to prevent major damage to the bike, it looked like he was going to ride away after buying a qt or oil. That's my story about frame sliders.

alex
alex HalfDork
6/20/09 1:50 p.m.

Agreed. Relatively cheap insurance.

I do recommend that the breakaway-type be employed; the sort that are designed to snap off in the event of a heavy impact. That will keep your frame sliders from becoming frame benders.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/20/09 2:06 p.m.

I think they are a good idea even on non faired bikes, that and case guards. smashing into the ground breaks more than plastic.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xcq6rxvc57lSK64fDtkYNU7rOKS0Xi93TUPsXaSHaHpi49B9AR2bg5WV1WRENgW3