singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/28/17 9:38 a.m.

I am looking into maybe FIing my KLR 250. I am tired of carbs. I would like to be able to just hop on, kick it, and go. Suggestions on how to do this real real cheap? I was thinking of using Honda CBR250 parts with the stock ECU but am worried that without the ability to tune it I will be running too rich/lean and mess something up. I could run a microsquirt but for the extra $350 I could just have my carb professionally tuned every year and not make it my problem. I understand that is probably what I should be doing but that isn't very GRM and I love a good bench build.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
4/28/17 10:16 a.m.

MicroSquirt is not the only game in town for small engines but save your $$ and learn to tune carbs then you can make side $$ doing it for others

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/28/17 12:37 p.m.

Are you needing to make changes to the tuning of the carb often? Lots of elevation changes or temperature swings?

EFI can deal with those problems really well, but it's not like carbs can't do it too. I also suspect that an EFI system from an e-start bike would have problems on a kick start engine. The little KLRs are kick only, aren't they?

Maybe your current carb is worn out. Has it ever been rejetted? Even if everything is clean and the float level is set correctly, if it's on factory spec jets, it's probably really lean. Speaking of factory spec, does your carb have the idle mixture screw covered?

If the main issue is just hard starting, jetting can probably fix it, it's not like it's a giant thumper that needs two men and a boy to kick.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/29/17 2:32 p.m.

It is bone stock 1986 model. I bought it from the original family that bought it new. I put a rebuild kit on it last fall and now it won't start most of the time and when it does start it tries to die at low rpm or wants to ramp up to 4k rpm.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/1/17 4:03 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I'm actually interested in your root problem. I have an XR250R kick start enduro bike that I threw a kit in, got running but does the same thing. I need a shot of ether to fire it cold, then it runs good for a while... Then wants to idle at 4k.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/1/17 7:37 p.m.

Well then, that sounds familiar.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
5/3/17 8:44 a.m.

If the carb is working properly, you won't have any of those problems (unless you have other issues) so I would spend less time and $ getting what you have working. Bike carbs are very simple but even a little crud can mess a lot up.

Sounds like it could be running really rich. Take everything apart, checking for vacuum leaks and anything not super clean. Make sure float does (i.e. That it isn't full of gas) and make sure. Wesley valve is set properly. (It's really easy. Other adjustments can be more tricky but still not voodoo)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ZQu7pfQSFuHO41Xs5ott2Pb3tLXA3U2xnVzd68mUQOEMeZHdrsl5mgZUzYuP4n4