1 2
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
4/21/09 10:20 p.m.

Holy buckets!

I have been riding older rockets for a few years now. 94 ZX-9 with a 993 kit and flat slide carbs, pretty modified; a basically stock (filter, jet kit, full pipe) 1992 ZX-11;and a basically stock with exhaust 98 TL1000.

I just got a box stock 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 tonight for a challenge friendly price. It is scary. Took it for a lil spin tonight and couldnt bring myself to whack the throttle in any gear. 75 comes up WAY too quick. 15 horse and 150lbs less than my big Ninja.

I love it already! If you have not ridden a newer unlimited class bike, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. People are hurting for cash right now and there are GREAT deals to be found.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
4/21/09 11:57 p.m.

I can picture myself a crumpled heap at the end of a long skid mark and a bent-over yield sign.

vazbmw
vazbmw New Reader
4/22/09 12:08 a.m.

That is funny, but it happens a lot Mister Pinks eats it

SkinnyG wrote: I can picture myself a crumpled heap at the end of a long skid mark and a bent-over yield sign.
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/09 8:22 a.m.

Those bikes are stupid fast. How'd you get one at a challenge price? Was it involved in the murder of a close relative or something?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/22/09 10:09 a.m.

I'd love the power of a Gixxer, but I commute on my bike and wouldn't be comfortable crunched over all the time.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
4/22/09 12:42 p.m.

I have a '79 GS1000 that's been souped up a bit and an '82 Katana, and I know how fast those things are, but they'd be hard put to keep up with a modern 600cc sportbike. I'd almost be scared to try a modern full size sportbike.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
4/22/09 1:44 p.m.

Just an issue of right place, right time, right seller. Its not perfect but it runs and rides 100% and maintenance was excellent before I got it.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/22/09 2:13 p.m.

I am on month 2 of my 04 Gixxer 1K, I have been riding for 20 years and I have never controlled something so capable of that violent of acceleration. That includes a T-37 Jet Trainer.

He's not that far off, I got mine with 6K miles from a dealer for a ridiculous price. Economy or no, any sportbike that has been down (and with superbikes, it happens a lot) the price gets pretty cheap.

But hopefully you now understand why its a bad idea for a new rider to hop on one of those things. You even have experince with high HP bikes and it has you rethinking, imagine if you had never ridden. And your bike is 7 years old. Trust me, the new stuff is even more mind warping. Don't trust what the numbers on paper tell you, the power delivery is just that much more insane.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/22/09 3:34 p.m.

Stupid question, but is there a GSX, non R? It is like an Acura Intregra, where the Type R is extra or like a Nissan Sentra SE-R, where the R is standard?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/22/09 3:43 p.m.

I've talked to amateur club racers and they all say the same thing.

"You don't need a liter bike. Even on the street. 600's are stupid fast now. Liter bikes are just semi-guided missiles."

I think it was Performance Bikes that compared lap times on liter bikes vs. 600's. The 600's were all right on their tail and on some courses a bit faster.

I always rode twins as I liked the instant torque. With power like the GSXR 1k has torque is on tap at any time.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/22/09 4:11 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Stupid question, but is there a GSX, non R? It is like an Acura Intregra, where the Type R is extra or like a Nissan Sentra SE-R, where the R is standard?

There was a GSX in Europe, in fact I have a 1/2 of an american version of one. All of them are evolutions of the original GS's

bored readings on the history; History of the GS

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
4/22/09 4:25 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Stupid question, but is there a GSX, non R? It is like an Acura Intregra, where the Type R is extra or like a Nissan Sentra SE-R, where the R is standard?

The GSX series are the older Katana series bikes, the newer GSX650F and believe it or not, the Hayabusa. If you look at the designation of the Busa it is GSX1300R while the pure track bikes are GSX-R1000, GSX-R750 GSX-R600. It all has to do with where they place the "R".

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/22/09 7:44 p.m.

It's frightening that anyone with a few thousand dollars in their pocket can have access to F1 performance. I used to think my old CBR900RR was fast until I rode an R1. Twisting the throttle on a liter bike is like hitting FF on reality.

Although, the most terrifyingly explosive two-wheeled thing I've ridden was a lightly-massaged Honda CRF450R. A buddy at our local MX track let me take his for a few laps once, and the acceleration—even on dirt—was simply staggering. There was virtually no torque "curve" to speak of. Just twist the throttle and the "BUUUUUUUUHHHHPPPPP" sound gets louder and you start to black out. The combination of unspeakable torque and gearing optimized for point-and-shoot type riding is downright nuts.

jg

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
4/22/09 8:33 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: It's frightening that anyone with a few thousand dollars in their pocket can have access to F1 performance.

That is exactly why Per and I can have access to cheap modern 1000cc engines for the DSR's the day after a new sport bike model goes on sale. A nine second "over the counter" bike and a lack of riding skills often lead to a very short lived ownership experience.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
4/23/09 12:28 p.m.

The GSX nomenclature was attached to the Suzuki Katana back in the day. When buying an older Screwzuki, make sure its a GSXR and not a GSX. Unless you want a Can-O-Tuna, of course.

I rode it to work today. Rides fine on the freeway. Much more stable than my ZX11 crossing highway irregularities. Doesnt have the grunt down low, and cruises at a higher RPM too than the ZX11. Not super duper comfortable but fine for a half hour commute. Long trips are still gonna be on the ZX11 methinks.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/23/09 2:39 p.m.

FYI, the GSXR is Leno approved! http://www.cyclenews.com/articles/industry-news/2009/04/21/leno-gets-a-suzuki-gsx-r1000

93gsxturbo wrote: The GSX nomenclature was attached to the Suzuki Katana back in the day. When buying an older Screwzuki, make sure its a GSXR and not a GSX. Unless you want a Can-O-Tuna, of course. I rode it to work today. Rides fine on the freeway. Much more stable than my ZX11 crossing highway irregularities. Doesnt have the grunt down low, and cruises at a higher RPM too than the ZX11. Not super duper comfortable but fine for a half hour commute. Long trips are still gonna be on the ZX11 methinks.

Can o Tunas have gotten to be quite affordable. They don;t have superbike power, but are great first bikes, add to that most of them have some road rash and you feel better about it.

I have heard the same from other folks about the GSXR. I am coming from commuting in BMW and honestly, I haven't had a problem with the Gixxer. I'm 38 and 6ft and it really hasn't bugged me. But I am finding I am in the minority. I do make it a pint not to support myself by my wrists, but rather by my core.

The RPMs at cruise don't surprise me , but the stability does. I wouldn't call it unstable, but again, coming off a sport tourer, it is twitchy. Not as bad as my 600 but noticably.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
4/23/09 8:00 p.m.

I think its MORE stable than my ZX11, but its got 10 years of evolution ahead of it

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/24/09 9:36 a.m.

Whats insurance like on a 2000+ Literbike? I guess if you pay <$2000 you aren't super worried about theft, but still you gotta have something.

Gonzo_Bmod
Gonzo_Bmod New Reader
4/24/09 9:55 a.m.

I'm paying about $ 330/yr. for my '07 Hayabusa (1300cc), full liability and collision coverage. I think it's pretty reasonable. But, I live in the sticks and am old, both of which lower the premiums.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
4/24/09 11:55 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: I think its MORE stable than my ZX11, but its got 10 years of evolution ahead of it

Thats true, I was thinking purely on mass and wheelbase.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
4/27/09 8:12 a.m.
Gonzo_Bmod wrote: I'm paying about $ 330/yr. for my '07 Hayabusa (1300cc), full liability and collision coverage. I think it's pretty reasonable. But, I live in the sticks and am old, both of which lower the premiums.

FWIW, that's more than double my '06 Sportster (new rider, in the DC 'burbs). Of course, the 'Busa probably cost almost double, has more than double the power, corners at double the speed, etc. So, $330 doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/27/09 4:53 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Although, the most terrifyingly explosive two-wheeled thing I've ridden was a lightly-massaged Honda CRF450R. A buddy at our local MX track let me take his for a few laps once, and the acceleration—even on dirt—was simply staggering. There was virtually no torque "curve" to speak of. Just twist the throttle and the "BUUUUUUUUHHHHPPPPP" sound gets louder and you start to black out. The combination of unspeakable torque and gearing optimized for point-and-shoot type riding is downright nuts. jg

So I'm not the only one. That bike is scary because it has no 'hit', so there's no tactile message to tell you that you are riding something very powerful. You don't realize just how fast you are going until you see the scenery blur.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla New Reader
4/27/09 8:03 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote:
Gonzo_Bmod wrote: I'm paying about $ 330/yr. for my '07 Hayabusa (1300cc), full liability and collision coverage. I think it's pretty reasonable. But, I live in the sticks and am old, both of which lower the premiums.
FWIW, that's more than double my '06 Sportster (new rider, in the DC 'burbs). Of course, the 'Busa probably cost almost double, has more than double the power, corners at double the speed, etc. So, $330 doesn't seem unreasonable at all.

Man are you overestimating your sportster!!.

Double the speed,nah the 'busa does EVERYTHING at least a thousand times better.

haunter
haunter New Reader
4/30/09 2:10 p.m.

that and I doubt he sportster cost less than 66% of the price of a new busa. HD's aren't cheap either.

I pay about 400 a year Full Cov 100ded. on my 03 SV1000S

I've seen some crazy bike deals lately, makes me wish I had more in the bank and less in the wife category

sportbikes are bigger wreck and theft worries than HD's I'm pretty sure, thus insurance costs more

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
4/30/09 5:48 p.m.

My buddy has a blue '02 GSX-R 600cc he's namd Sephira. It's his baby. I rode bitch on it once, and hol-ee E36 M3! that thing goes from 0-warp speed in no time. He used to work at a motorcycle dealership and he says that's about the fastest bike he can handle without killing himself. He only drives it occasionally because, as he says, she wants to go much faster than she's allowed to.

He once rode a Hayabusa on the highway. That thing, according to him, did a buck thirty with so little drama, he thought he was doing 70 until he looked at the speedo!

I'd like to get a bike when I move out of my parent's house, but I think I'll start with something a little more tame...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bJaHUn0fUaWkZNIwdNXlTs13wJM5IG8Nc6Jeh175btiqWuuikuMPYBOmt8TZHjEp