1 2
Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/09 12:59 p.m.

I've ridden with an HJC for years. I do like it. The freaking shell is huge on that helmet. I think that's how they keep costs low. Same outer shell size for everyone and they change the padding to match the head size.

knb13
knb13 New Reader
7/8/09 10:06 a.m.

I have an HJC Surge FS-15 Helmet... I love it. Lots of vents and very comfy. Removable padding if you want to wash it. My tinted lens never fogs but the clear one will fog a wee bit if I'm sitting a redlight for a while and breathing alot. They are able to be fitted with PIN shields if you want to run clear and stay 100% fog free all the time.

I recomend the surge. Only comes in patterns IIRC... so if you want a plain color, this won't work but I dig the graphics.

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
7/8/09 1:37 p.m.

I was looking at the FS-15. It got a pretty good review on webbikeworld.com, has all the features I'd like, and is well within the price range at around $220. I'm pretty sure it comes in solid colors (which I do prefer), unless there is something special about your Surge model I'm not aware of.

I was also looking at the Gmax GM68 due to it's "outstanding" ventilation rating from the same helmet review site I mentioned. It doesn't hurt that it's only $120 either. I know the materials won't be as-nice, but I'm not really concerned with getting the "ultimate" helmet right now. I am concerned with safety however, which does worry me a bit.

Speaking of safety, if I wasn't concerned with buying the rest of the gear as well I'd just get a Shark RSI or possibly the RSF3. Between the new controversy over helmet testing/saftey, apparent quality, and good ventilation these helmets have I'm kinda sold.

The Sparx brand apparently has the safety credentials as well (for low-G impacts at least) and is cheaper than anything else I've looked at ($110). However, the ventilation system on the top cannot be closed and while it wasn't rated badly, it didn't stack up to the other helmets I mentioned.

The runners up are both Icons. The Airframe got good reviews all around, but the price is getting close to Shark territory. Same with the Domain, which looks like it has big fat vents, but I worry that all those extra add-ons on the top will cause excessive noise. No reviews on the Domain on webbbikeworld unfortunately.

Airframe

Domain

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
7/8/09 1:42 p.m.

On a side note, I've noticed that very few helmets come in a plain ol' white. I know that in a car, a white vs. black helmet makes a big difference in temp after a while. Does the airflow from a motorcycle negate this "cooking" effect at least somewhat? I know it's mostly a sales-issue for the manufacturers, but has anyone noticed temp differences among dark and light helmets?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
on1e2bifYxyOPGEPfYTZwr1ZcwmaiygXYTX23RfMnEjLm9HUT2CeTo2R5TrwNifS