pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
4/15/09 9:21 a.m.

So the first time I saw this bike, I liked the look of it. I figured it would be a great option for me; sporty but not a sport bike or sport-tourer. Comfortable laid-back riding position, but not a cruiser. Modern looking, modern technology, not a Harley Clone. With some bags, it would be a great 2-up long distance cruiser, or without it would be great for the occasional back-road blast.

So now it is here in the US, and I am completely stumped. First, the engine is like 600cc. Wha? So there is no power? Oh and it has an automatic transmission. Huh? Why? Who wanted that? OK, I could accept it, but it pushes the cost of the bike right into GOLDWING territory! $16K for this oversized scooter!!!! But wait, it comes with zero storage space, and no provision for bags or accessories. WTF? So they will sell a few dozen to rich people who want a bike for their wife? I just don't get this. Give me the DN-02, with a 1000ccs, a 6-speed manual tranny, and a price in the $10,000 range!

Cotton
Cotton Reader
4/15/09 9:52 a.m.

that is the ugliest bike on the planet. it makes me want to go out and smash the four honda motorcycles I currently own. It looks like something the SNL duo Ace and Gary would ride.

Edit: I know that is a pretty harsh post, but I just really really hate that bike. Also, some 600s are fast, likes 11s in the quarter mile fast, but I don't imagine that ugly Honda will hit that. My old 98 YZF 600 was no slouch. If you're looking for a good all around bike check out the Honda Interceptor. It's a really nice bike. That DN thing......it just needs to go away.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
4/15/09 11:46 a.m.

It's an interesting idea, but a poor execution. Definitely a poor choice of price point. Had they priced it the same as the Silverwing, it might have made sense. At that price, I've been joking that it stands for "Don't Nobody Own 1."

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
4/15/09 12:23 p.m.

Yeah, it's the answer to a question nobody asked.

For a more reasonable interpretation of an automatic bike, look at the new Aprilia Mana 850. Still quick, handles well, storage for a full-face helmet without adding bags, looks like a bike instead of a big scooter.

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=549

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/15/09 4:54 p.m.

I kinda like the style.... but not the 60hp rating. or the automatic.

apparently you can get a push button "manual" for it though

interesting review: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fv20080713ja.html

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
4/15/09 5:11 p.m.

Honda's been doing some strange things lately, like not having a proper standard.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
4/16/09 5:29 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Honda's been doing some strange things lately, like not having a proper standard.

on the other hand......I'm kinda tired of all the Ford Vehicles looking the same. I like that they're pushing variety

alex
alex Reader
4/20/09 4:53 p.m.

The DN-01 is motivated by a derivation of the same twin that's in my (20 year old) Hawk, which was introduced in the VT500 Ascot, somewhere in the early 80s. It's nearly ancient, but it does the job, barely.

Decent hop-up potential for a smallish outdated twin. This motor's a little exciting for us in the Hawk cult, because it's finally DOHC, which should increase the tuning potential for us weirdos.

Swingarm and forks look the same as stock Hawk bits, and I do like those wheels.

BAMF
BAMF New Reader
4/20/09 10:26 p.m.

It seemed like an interesting bike until they came out with the price for it.

That aside, I think it looks good, and the riding position looks reasonably comfortable.

alex
alex Reader
4/21/09 9:26 a.m.

Yeah, I can't believe what they're charging for it, given that nothing is revolutionary on that bike aside from the 'styling.' It seems that Honda really doesn't give a rat's ass about the American motorcycle market, and hasn't for at least ten years now.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
4/22/09 3:30 p.m.
Cotton wrote: Also, some 600s are fast, likes 11s in the quarter mile fast

Nothing at all against a 600, lots of 600s are way fast. But drop a 600 into a 900 pound Goldwing and suddenly it is not so fast!

BAMF
BAMF New Reader
4/30/09 10:23 p.m.
alex wrote: Yeah, I can't believe what they're charging for it, given that nothing is revolutionary on that bike aside from the 'styling.' It seems that Honda really doesn't give a rat's ass about the American motorcycle market, and hasn't for at least ten years now.

They should, they make more profit on bikes here than most of their other markets.

Our Preferred Partners
shLEcLmyqOV9pM0GZwhMBXefu6ZLybF5m3LxAy2r1GRWOF6wc4HtQ6VRVzWYxxx2