milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
5/22/09 9:45 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XofF_pxUKo

final toll: left ankle broken in 2 places, light concussion, loads of bumps and bruises.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/22/09 9:52 p.m.

WOW! well, at least you are alive...look at it this way, you will save some money by not tracking a motorcycle for a while. that crap gets expensive!

Opus
Opus Dork
5/23/09 12:39 a.m.

Damn, what happened? Glad to hear that you got off with just that damage.

At least someone got footage of the crash so others can see what you see when you close your eyes at night.

Rest up and relax. You should be back on a bike before you know it.

skierd
skierd Dork
5/23/09 12:40 a.m.

Ooof!

Any recollection of what got the tank slapper started?

Bones can heal, at least you're (mostly) intact after getting ragdolled like that (is that you sliding down the pavement at the end?)! Also, just curious, what kind of gear did you have on and how did it all hold up?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/23/09 9:10 a.m.

Glad to hear you still alive, but please post pics of your gear if you could

milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
5/23/09 10:03 a.m.

The bike started slapping as soon as I crested the hill (just as I was passing the camera bike), the front had been really light the entire way up as I had the throttle pinned full stop. Once it crested the hill the oscillation began and at that speed there was no stopping it (not in my mortal hands atleast).

As for the gear I was wearing:

HJC CL-15 helmet - best $70 I've ever spent. Completely destroyed but it saved my life.

Teknic Xcelerator kangaroo suit - scuffed all over but the only real damage is a 1" seam split on the butt and a 1" tear in the lower back stretch panel. When I got this suit I thought it would be a 1 crash only kinda suit but I am very impressed with how durable it is.

Dianese G1 back protector - looks fine but should probably be replaced, I think it's a crush-type.

Dianese street/track gloves - not exactly sure which model these are since I got them used without tags, but they had survived a few low speed spills previously. My right glove sacrificed itself in this crash but my hand emerged with only some bruising.

Sidi Vertebra 2 boots - these were already pretty scuffed up and they honestly don't look too much worse now. They definitely were the difference between my broken ankle and a completely shattered ankle. I may look into upgrading though haha.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/23/09 11:02 p.m.

Word. All the gear, all the time.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
5/24/09 11:46 p.m.

Glad to hear you're going to be alright. I saw a guy put a brand new (600 HP) Viper into those trees to the right where it looks like your bike bounced off the wall. It looks like an easy turn, but you're going so fast and the geography makes the turn a bit scary.

How is the bike? It looks like it bounced off of something and flew into the air.

milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
5/25/09 12:18 a.m.

The bike did a couple of cartwheels on the track and is pretty much completely destroyed. The rear wheel hit so hard it literally SHATTERED.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
5/25/09 9:31 a.m.

I can relate. I was about a week recovered from a serious (bike related) concussion, and had what was probably my hardest crash ever. The head is fine, but it happened 3 weeks ago, and I'm still covered in bumps and bruises. Mine happened on a Wednesday, too.

Good luck on your recovery. Take it easy!

milkmandan
milkmandan New Reader
5/31/09 9:33 a.m.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/31/09 9:58 a.m.

OUCH!!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/31/09 9:59 a.m.

well....save the motor

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
6/2/09 12:44 p.m.

Heal well, and heal soon. I haven't ran the bike on that track, other than to get to my flagging stations, but I've seen many a car go in like you did from the station at 10. Honestly though, get better and mount up again.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/2/09 11:32 p.m.

Good gear, and it was awfully nice of that feller to give you a copy of the film, and not run over you as well.

Bikes crash, its why we wear gear. Heal quick. Ride hard.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/09 10:20 a.m.

Do you know if the camera bike was stopping to offer assistance? I am curious about what I would do if I went into the grass at that speed...I assume turning or trying to reenter the track is a bad idea. Moot point really because I don't have the stones to try something like that and seeing your crash confirms it!

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
6/3/09 10:49 a.m.

Wow! That was bad but I guess it could have been much worse.

I spun my car off the left side there (just before the bridge) during a night event in pouring rain. While I was spinning backwards, I recall thinking: "Dear God-Don't let me hit anything hard!" Fortunately, I came to a gentle halt just up against a tire wall.

Hope you get well soon!

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/3/09 12:01 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Do you know if the camera bike was stopping to offer assistance? I am curious about what I would do if I went into the grass at that speed...I assume turning or trying to reenter the track is a bad idea. Moot point really because I don't have the stones to try something like that and seeing your crash confirms it!

Chances are he was steering to aviod and found himself in the grass. At that piont, you just try and keep it straight and upright, cuz turning is a bad idea. At least at the track days I go to, you don't go running over there, becuase you and your bike get in the way of the first responders. If you leave the track you have to get you bike re-teched.

In that case, it would be a once over, becuase the camera bike stayed upright. Re-entering depends on the track and turn. The end of a straight isn;t to bad becuase you have a nice feild of view of bikes coming and make sure it is clear. Then get off the line and get it back in the pits.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g3BnB6RHgso846KOByTtEm8MFwAht4KsSB7Ev87byVUD8nBvFjKVEe7vII7XxkYf