1 2
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/19/18 11:11 p.m.

I received new brake cables and a whole selection of ball bearings in the mail today. Unfortunately the tool that I need to remove the freewheel looks like it won't be here until next Monday. 

Didn't get anything done on the bike this weekend but my goal is to get the frame painted next week.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/24/18 7:36 p.m.

One step closer. Turned out okay, I rushed it too much. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/26/18 7:05 p.m.

Spent the day polishing out the rims spokes and hubs. They cleaned up decently well. I contemplated painting them black but decided against it. 

After new bearings and getting the axles back in place I retentioned the spokes and trued the rims. Only broke two of the original spokes. Thankfully I had some spare spokes and nipples left over from the green bike that were the correct size. 

I'm going to tie and solder them just have to pick up some flux and wire. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
8/31/18 1:08 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

One step closer. Turned out okay, I rushed it too much. 

Is that a custom color, or just something you had around?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/31/18 6:17 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Just something that jumped out at me at the Lowe's. It's a Rust-Oleum color and I couldn't even tell you the name, top coated with their matte clear which is more satin than matte but it's pretty even.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/1/18 6:06 p.m.

Tied and soldered the rear wheel. Probably won't do the front unless I run into trouble down the road. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
9/9/18 7:52 p.m.

After some consideration and some input from bikeforums I've decided that instead of upgrading everything all at once I should put it back together the way it came and actually commute on it for a while. In particular to get a feel for the gearing that I would typically run. So I cleaned everything, installed new bearings and put it back together. I did change from caged bearings to loose in the headset and bb. 

Things that I'll need to purchase to get it back on the road. Tires/tubes, shifters/shifter cables, pedals, grips and a saddle. 

I was messing around with the lights. Standard 6V 3W headlight, LED rear taillights and a little bottle type Dynamo. I really didn't like that Dynamo, too noisy. As the headlight uses just a standard flashlight bulb and LED retrofit bulbs are readily available I picked one up and switched it out. The new bulb is good for 9V. I remembered I have a 7.2V battery pack for an old remote control car so I charged it up and tested it out. 

It's been running steady for a little over six hours now. I think this is going to work out okay. 

I'm going to pick up a small waterproof box that the battery will fit in and mount it to the mounting location in the frame for the bottle generator. 

freestyle
freestyle Reader
9/9/18 8:01 p.m.

I'm a roadie on weekends, commuter during the week. My roadbike is aluminum with carbon fork and rear. I bought a singlespeed steel bike instead of a rental car for errands on a biz trip and had it shipped home. Definitely the lowest tech and price of my four bikes...but its now my go to on a daily basis. Steel is so compliant and lovely for my commute. No question my road bike is faster on hills and longer rides, gravel bike has its place. But steel is real. Truth. 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
bN5nd6CWHAHuw8FvBBS2XgwVRlf1VLmsoK6O7Kffq1XWDCzdWlC7hizcskjY582f