pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/14/18 1:47 p.m.

My old motorcycle has gone on to a new home and I wish it the best of luck going forward.  I'm now in the enviable situation of having a motorcycle-sized hole in my garage.  What are the best websites for searching for motorcycles?  I know of cycletrader.com but are there others that are useful?  I'm looking to buy new or nearly new and can travel a bit for the right deal.  What else should I know of?

As an aside, I'm looking hard at the Z900rs, although logic says the FJ-09/Tracer 900 should be my pick, and everything else I look at just doesn't quite work for me.  Everything else just seems too costly, or too big, or too small, or...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/14/18 2:40 p.m.

I'll sell you mine.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/14/18 3:36 p.m.

Comstock: What is it?  I'm wanting something with low miles if I go used.  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/14/18 4:11 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

2015 FJ-09. What's low mileage on a bike? Just checked and mine has 9400 on it. Honestly you could probably find a new one for what is have to get out of mine. 

As to your original post. I don't know if any other sites.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/14/18 4:15 p.m.

A month ago I found, via cycletrader, a 2015 FJ-09 with 5k miles on it for something like $6500.  Came with bags.   I'm not in hard search mode at the moment, just trying to figure out the best ways to look are.  

I think I'd consider 10k miles to be about where low miles start to be more than low miles, if that makes sense.  At least, that's the litmus test I'm using.  So I'd probably go for that amount of mileage but not much more.   5k would be nice; the motor is broken in but it's otherwise really fresh.  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/14/18 4:22 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

It's funny I just texted my wife earlier today that I wanted to sell the bike and get a truck. Then I pull up GRM and read your post. I doubt I'll sell it but I'm just not getting any enjoyment out of riding lately and the thought of riding through this upcoming winter is not filling me with the warm fuzzies.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/15/18 4:52 p.m.

Anyone have opinions on what's going to happen to prices on 2018 z900rs' bikes sitting at dealerships now?  There's a dealership in VA with the best prices in the country but are prices going to drop much further?  $8700 to $9k depending on color, brand new bikes.  Trying to figure out if I try to pick one of those up or wait a couple months or what.  I don't need a bike ASAP...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
8/15/18 8:58 p.m.

From what I've seen most dealers really don't drop prices much. Although that does vary from dealer to dealer. I've seen three year old models sitting on the showroom for full list price and the dealers wouldn't budge. But I've also seen two year old models for a couple Grand under list. Personally I don't see the Z900RS being discounted much.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
8/15/18 10:36 p.m.

Yeah, I remember when the big Honda dealer in Wichita was sitting on a 2 year old Honda 919 a dozen years ago.  They were asking $300 off of full MSPR and when I asked about the bike they seems very uninterested in budging on the price.  

Good times.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
8/16/18 3:39 p.m.

Dealers dont budge much because when you buy a brand new bike at full retail the dealer only makes about 14%. if its a small dealer that cant afford to pay for the bike from the manufacturer and finance through G.E. they have to pay "Flooring" at a few percent a month and also have to pay to have it stored at a central warehouse.

Bikes are much like cars now a days as far as mileage goes. Pretty much anything less than 30K is low mileage.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/18 7:04 p.m.

If you do get the z900, think long and hard about the root beer and orange paint. Any other choice would be a sin. It's that good. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BUSq1ViPXVtfmGzax62JJN21LhQXa8KHOamtn4odYh0qGSct1QyzwH56rMvUw4z5