1 2
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 11:14 a.m.

And I'm excited for this year. Already record breaking speeds around the island. I love this stuff!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/30/18 12:13 p.m.

How are you watching it this year?

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/30/18 12:23 p.m.

This is the most insane and incredible group of races on the planet.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Same as always. Follow along with Twitter then illegally download the coverage the day after it airs. I don't know of any other way to get it unfortunately.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/30/18 12:44 p.m.

The Velocity channel will be broadcasting some coverage of the IoM on Saturday and Sunday nights.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/18 1:06 p.m.

will I get booted from the forum for asking how the TTZero goes this year?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 1:26 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I'd love to see more competition in the zero bikes. Mugen will dominate again.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 3:00 p.m.
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 3:32 p.m.

RIP Dan kneen. A very fast rider and one of my favorites too follow on social media. God speed.

https://www.iomtt.com/news/2018/05/30/statement-issued-by-acu-events-ltd

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/30/18 3:38 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Why? Electrics are the future.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/30/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Seems someone dies almost every year. That's the really big downside of an otherwise truly impressive event.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 4:09 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Just two weeks ago he had a very good showing at the NW200 and I thought he was set to get his first win on his home island this year. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/18 8:42 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to sleepyhead :

Why? Electrics are the future.

I'm still getting a feel for the contours of the forum... and as Nick has mentioned, TT Zero has been semi-Anticlimactic since the sport lost Michael Czysz to cancer, and Mugen stepped in.

Digging around a little today, I think it'll be interesting to see how Adam Child does on the "production" MotoCorsa bike that's been tweaked.  There's probably some interesting stories to dig up on some of the University teams.

All that being said, I'm still a bit unthrilled that 8 years on, they haven't moved to at least a multi-lap race format.  Maybe in 2020?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/30/18 10:47 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

I was hoping to see some quick battery change technology and multi lap races as well. I think the Zero class was ripe for maybe the last bastion of good old fashioned grassroots home built innovation. And it likely still is. And this is not to say that I don't like seeing big money outfits like Mugen on the scene pushing tech farther because I like that too, but I kinda get the feeling having Mugen there and being so dominant has maybe stifled that aspect ever so slightly. Losing MotoCzysz took a lot of that pointy end competition away as well. For me it's hard not to root for the underdog nutter with a dream and a shed full of tools (that's why I really like the sidecar races as most are home built). Of the three bikes entered by Mugen this year my money is on Lee Johnston with the first 120mph+ race lap. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
5/31/18 6:14 a.m.

I'm just here to hotlink some pics!  

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/31/18 8:09 a.m.

surprise

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
5/31/18 12:46 p.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Seems someone dies almost every year. That's the really big downside of an otherwise truly impressive event.

I heard a stat recently that the event has averaged 1.5 deaths per year.  I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives, but that number is high enough that I wouldn't even attend to spectate.  I do enjoy watching highlights, but man that's a dangerous race.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/18 1:17 p.m.

The roads are tight and crappy for the most part. Folks just hang over really just too close for comfort....I watch because it's one of the last truly reckless things the Western world hasn't straight up banned. Brilliant racing every year.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/2/18 10:23 p.m.

Watching the tape delay broadcast on the Velocity channel...holy crap, those guys are going fast.  It's like watching a film in fast motion.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/3/18 6:26 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Do you know if they're showing all the races this year? 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/3/18 10:10 a.m.

It's apparently a condensed version of the day's broadcast.  Last night was Saturday's superbike race.  I'm not sure what they'll show tonight,

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/3/18 9:14 p.m.

@bigeyedfish if you watched last nights coverage you saw the Tyco BMW team manager speaking about the 2003 death of David Jefferies and when he told Jefferies mother that he was going to pull out of the rest of the race she said don't you dare, go out and win for  David. The Irish have very different attitudes about life (I've got a couple of relatives from Ulster) and as the event is part of the Irish Road Racing series the British entrants have much the same outlook. 

With all the above said I get why you wouldn't want to spectate, in 3 1/2 years of club racing motorcycles I saw 4 riders get killed, it's not an especially nice way to spend your Sunday.

I still would have gone and rode the event as a young man given the chance to ride my 125 GP bike there and perhaps one day I'll get a chance to spectate in person. 

I watch for this reason; as racers beit 2 wheels or 4 we think we are inch perfect, as long as you are inch perfect the IoM is no big deal, to be inch perfect for 200 miles under changeable conditions is incredibly impressive. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/3/18 10:01 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

I watch for this reason; as racers beit 2 wheels or 4 we think we are inch perfect, as long as you are inch perfect the IoM is no big deal, to be inch perfect for 200 miles under changeable conditions is incredibly impressive. 

Watching them drag their knee around a corner one inch from the curb certainly is incredibly impressive (and more than a little scary.)

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/3/18 10:57 p.m.

The two things that always get me are the 160 mph wheelies and the 160 mph two wheel drifts.  Harrison was on it, to bad the bike broke. The upside is Dunlop winning was a nice tribute for Kneen. 

I really want to go to the classic TT now that there bringing 500cc GP bikes

I just got done watching the side car race.........mega cool.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
6/4/18 8:36 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

@bigeyedfish if you watched last nights coverage you saw the Tyco BMW team manager speaking about the 2003 death of David Jefferies and when he told Jefferies mother that he was going to pull out of the rest of the race she said don't you dare, go out and win for  David. The Irish have very different attitudes about life (I've got a couple of relatives from Ulster) and as the event is part of the Irish Road Racing series the British entrants have much the same outlook. 

With all the above said I get why you wouldn't want to spectate, in 3 1/2 years of club racing motorcycles I saw 4 riders get killed, it's not an especially nice way to spend your Sunday.

I still would have gone and rode the event as a young man given the chance to ride my 125 GP bike there and perhaps one day I'll get a chance to spectate in person. 

I missed that interview, but I have been watching highlights here and there on Youtube.  I definitely don't want to come off sounding judgmental here as I am seriously impressed with the abilities and dedication of all the riders.  People are free to live how they want.  I'm just saying that for me, the thrill of spectating does not balance out the heartache that is practically guaranteed to accompany it.  There is definitely risk in any motorsport, but statistically (I know, I know) we are way less likely to see racers killed in pretty much any other venue.  I don't want to watch people die in general, but I really don't want to take a vacation overseas, get away from the stress of home and work, and end up watching someone die in a crash.  That would outweigh any of the enjoyment I got from the rest of the race.

Edit to say:  I don't want to change the focus in this thread anymore than I already have.  Sorry if this was a distraction.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
03MPBancih9wMfoy3p6V58dXvsxk93ktj8SWOrLgTkkayHZCBaTsX1hwkL36DIrh