1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/4/18 9:01 p.m.

You're post wasn't judgmental at all. Your reasoning is perfectly stated. I only posted what I did because many people aren't aware of how the riders and their families view these events. After seeing interviews with many of them I looked at things in a very different light.

I totally get where you're coming from; fly to Belfast, Dublin or Liverpool then take a 3-4 hour ferry ride to the island, then tromp an hour up to a cool viewing spot to see something horrible.......worst vacation ever.

Also you're post was not a distraction at all, the risk at road races is very high and the riders ability to focus and ignore that fact is what keeps them safe ironically enough. McGuiness gives a very good explanation of his approach. I find their focus amazing.

Now on a complete silly note my poor wife has to hear my imitation Irish accent I picked up from me aunt Mary shouting things like "yea ken-a ga flot et Crag-Ny-Baa" and "ayes on-et true Bar-gar-a" 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/4/18 9:52 p.m.

I'm on vacation now so I haven't been able to watch any coverage. I will when I get back home. 

I don't want to see anyone die either. But for me the purity of the event is a much bigger draw than the unfortunate events that happen all too frequently are a deterrent. It is the essence of Motorsport in it's purist form. And it's beautiful.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
6/8/18 11:52 p.m.

Just finished watching the Senior TT... I won't give any spoilers, but there's a new lap record!  

It's absolutely amazing to watch these guys, and frightening as well.  If you haven't seen it, you need to watch "Road", a documentary about the Dunlops.  It's available on Netflix. yes

chuckles
chuckles Dork
6/13/18 8:02 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Second pic from the bottom says it all. In fact, even the fastest guys are riding conservative lines Re: tracking out to the edge. Just almost no safe place to go off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y2JNJXoB3qUPYMHMK9liDWsgJgtRtwJyXLDVZWwk8kK8qQDMOzSH1ybnxurSSJE9