Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/20/09 6:40 a.m.

I'm starting to look for new bike to replace my 23yo EX500. I've pretty much decided on a dual-sport bike designed for the street.

any feedback on the Versys? I know it's only on it's 2nd model year

and what about the wee-strom?

I used my bike for a daily 30 mile commute and short (sub 150mile) pleasure rides. 99.99% solo. wife is scared of bikes.

Things that I need to know:

MPG? my commute is "Expressway with city traffic on it" Reliability. Power. ease of replacement parts which is more fun and lastly which will fit my short 32" inseem. can either be lowered if needed?

any other suggestions?

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
5/20/09 7:52 a.m.

Both are tall-ish (>33" for the Versys, >32" for the Wee-Strom). What about the Ninja 650R (same engine as the Versys, two inches lower seat, lighter weight)?

The Wee-strom is also fairly heavy at 480lbs. The Versys is a bit lighter at 455lbs.

Both get pretty good reviews. Both aren't much more useful off-road than any other standard.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/20/09 8:11 a.m.

I like the Ninja, but want more upright seating

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
5/20/09 9:55 a.m.

The 650R has fairly upright seating, if you haven't sat on one, you should try it. It also uses a bar (not clip-ons), so you should be able to get a bar with more ride (or add spacers to the clamp).

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/09 12:50 p.m.

Heard good things about both. Both reviews were from dedicated touring riders. The guy who reviewed the Wee Strom rode it to Labrador from Richmond, Va. The guy who reviewed the Versys, after getting off a Z1000, put 100k miles on a Honda Shadow and a Bandit 12.

I both their opinions in high regard due to their saddle time.

haunter
haunter New Reader
5/22/09 10:26 a.m.

there is also the aprilia shiver than I am lusting after, its like a really good looking versys

I like the versys on pics and stats but never rode one

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/22/09 10:31 a.m.

I'd say take whichever you can find a better deal on. I have a Weestrom, I've gotten as low as the mid 40's (nearly 500 lbs being lugged around at fairly high speeds) to the mid 60's (slow and easy through the countryside, just enjoying the sights, sounds and smells). I'd look at a Versys if something happened to my Strom that totalled her though. Oh, and I have a slightly less than 29" inseam, but I can get the ball of each foot fully on the ground.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/22/09 10:42 a.m.

Depending on how far you're willing to travel for a deal, I can tell you that I bought my WeeStrom from Xtreme Suzuki in SW PA. I don't see any on their ebay store right now, but there is a Versys for BIN6897. You might want to call them and see if they have any Stroms on offer. I drove there from Charlottesville, VA for significant savings.

Oh, and they have a handful of dealerships scattered around a fairly small geographic area, so if you buy from SE Ohio, and are instructed to pick up the bike in SW PA, it's all good. I won't lie, I was worried when I received those exact instructions.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/23/09 1:31 a.m.

Wee Strom but I'm a suzuki fan, so take that for what it's worth.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uJflBlpPYm6GO53OSDZA2W037AvIVGL3bWSAemvhaKZgyOuxMavVjYgwddjHzrWS