1 2 3
sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
4/17/17 8:13 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: In reply to sanyarcosean: Excellent! Because if you priced a new master you were in for some sticker shock.

I priced them.. My head Still Hurts...

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
4/17/17 8:20 a.m.
FlightService wrote: BMW R bikes and horizontally arranged K bikes are exponentially better than the cars. I am not familiar with the R850 but have had some dealings with the R750 R1100 and K100. The things are very durable bikes. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Looking at getting a small fly screen to try and clean up the front a little. I think the gauge cluster / headlight could have been better designed. And riding... .lots of riding!

Flyscreen example

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/17/17 8:27 a.m.

In reply to sanyarcosean:

Being obnoxiously tall I like the ones with the lip at the top to kick the air up to the top of my helmet.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/17 6:20 p.m.

In reply to sanyarcosean:

BMWs of that period are really sensitive to the condition of the brake fluid. Forgetting to change it at the prescribed intervals can bust ABS and especially servo ABS units.

Talk about expensive, those make your master cylinder look like a wallyworld special.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
4/20/17 3:12 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: In reply to sanyarcosean: BMWs of that period are really sensitive to the condition of the brake fluid. Forgetting to change it at the prescribed intervals can bust ABS and especially servo ABS units. Talk about expensive, those make your master cylinder look like a wallyworld special.

Luckily, its a non-ABS bike.

2 more weeks and I should have it tagged and on the street... I cant wait

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/25/17 3:20 p.m.

If you're used to "normal" motorcycles, that BMW front suspension will feel really odd at first. It's almost a "detached" sort of feeling to the steering.

Not bad or a problem or anything, just something odd I noticed on a GS that belongs to a customer.

After mile or two you won't even notice it.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/25/17 3:32 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: If you're used to "normal" motorcycles, that BMW front suspension will feel really odd at first. It's almost a "detached" sort of feeling to the steering. Not bad or a problem or anything, just something odd I noticed on a GS that belongs to a customer. After mile or two you won't even notice it.

This is true - it feels a bit dead at first because it won't dive under braking or the opposite under hard throttle but it's actually brilliant at holding a line and giving good feedback.

The way they engineer the front control arm to work with the swing arm to keep things as stable as a train is pretty amazing. Because of the way they work together you don't get the geometry changes that make mid-corner weight transfer a trouser soiling event if you are a little wrong. Very forgiving bikes. The only real penalty is the weight of all that stuff which the boxer's low mass and available torque kind of masks.

They are a pretty unique feeling bike that you appreciate more as the miles rack up.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
5/15/17 12:27 p.m.

Today it happened.. I rode it to work for the first time! Looking forward to quitting time.

In other news, i learned today that the butt wad that bought the EX-500 from me wrecked it and is selling it.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
5/16/17 7:24 a.m.

Two days in a row.. :-)

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/16/17 7:57 a.m.

now your just rubbing it in... Glad to see you are happy, it was nice purchase.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wpnkVdXmH666eAYbyCTPLLBPBjd9UwjSD6OPBnxILfT05DXfDLMpeyUCLWvUlmkY