dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/21/11 8:33 a.m.

With my new job I have a 5 mile commute to work and it's all main roads (no highway). Right now I'm forced to drive my expedition but I'm very tempted to pick up a small scooter to save on gas. I pass a couple bike riders every morning so If it's safe enough for them I figure I should be ok. I should mention I have no "riding" experience but can't imagine it's that hard to ride one of these little guys.

Thanks Dan

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
8/21/11 8:48 a.m.

Have you read through the thread "So I Bought a Ruckus", I think it's called. If not look it up and read it. IMO they are too slow and because of that, unsafe for most streets in the US. My home in Pensacola is near the Un. of W. FL. I see college kids riding happily along, doing 30mph on 9-mile road, with no helmet while traffic is lining up behind them. On 35mph streets you might get away with it. I see the appeal but I've decided if I get a scooter it will have to be able to hit 75mph.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/11 8:50 a.m.

I just sold one.

The dangerous part about riding a Ruckus or any other 49cc scooter is that they're so slow. 43 mph was absolute top speed on my stock Ruckus, and you don't get there quickly, so you need to be constantly aware of what's around you.

If you're looking for something to ride for fun, that's one thing. If your goal is to save fuel/cash, understand that, out the door, a new Ruckus is about $2400, used ones usually bring about $1800. Even if you're driving an Expedition on your five mile commute, you can buy a bit of gas for that. Plus you can scare the crap out of all the scooter riders with your enormous SUV.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/21/11 8:57 a.m.

My commute doesn't see anything above 35 mph. Just looking to save on gas, not looking for anything too exciting. point A to point B. haven't seen that thread about buying a ruckus. I also would be wearing a helmet on mine , no exceptions.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/21/11 11:31 a.m.

I would look at a Yamaha BWS 50 before a Ruckus, but IMO, the ultimate bang for buck scooter is the Sachs Madass. 125 4 stroke, close to 100 MPG, way cheaper than a Ruckus, and HUGE aftermarket.

And of course, the chicks dig them

Not to criticize the choice of people who own them, but I personally don't see a single good reason to buy a Ruckus.

flountown
flountown Reader
8/21/11 11:36 a.m.

The only thing with the MadAss is you will most likely need a M-Class license. It really shouldn't be all that hard, and motorcycle safety courses are normally free so I don't understand why people justify getting 49cc scooters to avoid it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/11 12:14 p.m.
flountown wrote: so I don't understand why people justify getting 49cc scooters to avoid it.

No license, registration or insurance required in Connecticut. You just have to be 16 if it's under 50 cc.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/21/11 12:25 p.m.
Woody wrote: No license, registration or insurance required in Connecticut. You just have to be 16 if it's under 50 cc.

And a BWS 50 with a few minor mods will do 50 MPH, and get you there quickly. You can also buy the Sachs as a 50, and have almost unlimited big bore/swap options

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/21/11 4:20 p.m.

@ Zomby Wolf, I take it by BWS you mean Zuma ? I looked at Yamaha Zumas and C3. Both bikes look good and seem like a good fit. As far as the Madass, I get the bang for buck comment but all the ones I've seen online are more expensive than a Ruckus. I realize you're getting 100 more cc but still more money. Also it looks like the closest dealer is in Cleveland and there's just less supply out there on the used market. I do plan to buy used. I see a ton of "scooters" for sale on craigslist in the $500-600 range but no-one list the manufacturers name. I assume they're korean knock-offs and crap. Am I wrong?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
8/21/11 4:27 p.m.

There are a number of scooters sold in the US that are made various far east countries. Some of them are good, others aren't, but you'll have to do some research on that.

I think it would be fun to own one, depending on your commute. Mine is all on city streets with speed limits 35mph or less - I see quite a few of them every day and they aren't holding up traffic at those speeds.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
8/21/11 4:39 p.m.

Yes, I forgot that you get the BWS as the Zuma.

I bought one for my wife, and ending up riding it myself for about a year. It was a BLAST. I piped and weighted it, and did my 55 mile (one way) commute a few times, using secondary highways and back roads. I'm surprised the Madas is expensive there. You can always look here

flountown
flountown Reader
8/21/11 6:32 p.m.

In reply to dankspeed:

Before you count it out, check out the MadAss army forum, there are a few dealers/sponsors who will happily ship one direct to your door for no added cost.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/21/11 7:44 p.m.

I'm up in Dayton if you want to take my Ruckus for a test ride and see what you think. I'm the guy who bought your Civic wagon last year.

The toughest part of my nine mile commute are the hills. The Ruckus is made for 25-35mph zones. Brief spats of 45mph zones aren't too terrible, until you hit a hill. I've put just shy of 700 miles on it in two months and I'm averaging 98mpg.

I love my Ruckus, but have to admit there are cheaper scooters that go faster. Here in Ohio you'll need insurance, a tag, and a motorcycle endorsement to ride. I bought my 09 model from Honda Powersports in Troy for about $2600 out the door. Any more questions just let me know.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/23/11 7:16 p.m.

In reply to PubBurgers:

Thanks for the offer PubBurgers. I remember when you came down and picked it up.

I think I'm going to go with a Yamaha C3. Mainly due to the storage compartment and it's fuel injected. Checked one out at cycle specialties. They claimed I didn't need a motorcycle endorsement but from everything I've heard they're wrong. Went to a honda dealer and they didn't even have a Ruckus on the sales floor.

Pub, Are you wearing a full face or half helmet?

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/23/11 9:00 p.m.

I go with a full face, mostly because I already had one for autocross use.

I should also probably mention a moderate breeze can wreck your day on a Ruckus if you're riding into it.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
8/24/11 7:36 a.m.

I don't have much to add, but I've been seeing this stretched Ruckus around town lately and it's pretty cool.

townsend7
townsend7 Reader
8/24/11 8:21 a.m.
Woody wrote:
flountown wrote: so I don't understand why people justify getting 49cc scooters to avoid it.
No license, registration or insurance required in Connecticut. You just have to be 16 if it's under 50 cc.

There's also horsepower and top speed limitations here in CT for it to be considered a moped. My Yamaha Zuma is 49cc but is not considered a moped by law. Of course that hasn't stopped my from riding it as one.

Matt Smith
Matt Smith Super Dork Intern
8/24/11 8:39 a.m.

If you need to go through the process of getting a motorcycle license anyway, why wouldn't you search craigslist for a good running $1500 bike. Throw $500 into it by replacing the worn parts (tires, chain, sprockets, etc...) and enjoy both the awesome gas mileage and thrill of riding. Also, you can go anywhere on a nice little bike. If you want to go across town, out to the store, or anywhere else your bike will get you there. I just don't see how anyone could spend $2000+ on a scooter when a nice motorcycle is that much.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
8/24/11 8:58 a.m.

If getting a motorcycle is anything like getting a motorcycle license in AL, I would just get a regular motorbike and get a small displacement bike like a 125 or 250. Old Yamaha 2-stroke enduros are cheap as well as small displacement UJMs.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/24/11 11:26 a.m.
Matt Smith wrote: If you need to go through the process of getting a motorcycle license anyway, why wouldn't you search craigslist for a good running $1500 bike. Throw $500 into it by replacing the worn parts (tires, chain, sprockets, etc...) and enjoy both the awesome gas mileage and thrill of riding. Also, you can go anywhere on a nice little bike. If you want to go across town, out to the store, or anywhere else your bike will get you there. I just don't see how anyone could spend $2000+ on a scooter when a nice motorcycle is that much.

I can't explain why but I just like scooters more than motorcycles. I especially like small displacement scooters. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere so I don't feel the need for a motorcycle.

It applies to cars too. Price aside, I'd take a CRX over a Corvette.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
8/24/11 12:33 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: If getting a motorcycle is anything like getting a motorcycle license in AL, I would just get a regular motorbike and get a small displacement bike like a 125 or 250. Old Yamaha 2-stroke enduros are cheap as well as small displacement UJMs.

I 2nd this. For the money I see no reason not to step up to a decent 125 - 250cc motorcycle. Licensing is easy and if you get a dualsport you can, imo, have a lot more fun with it than a scooter.

Matt Smith
Matt Smith Super Dork Intern
8/24/11 1:59 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: If getting a motorcycle is anything like getting a motorcycle license in AL, I would just get a regular motorbike and get a small displacement bike like a 125 or 250. Old Yamaha 2-stroke enduros are cheap as well as small displacement UJMs.
I 2nd this. For the money I see no reason not to step up to a decent 125 - 250cc motorcycle. Licensing is easy and if you get a dualsport you can, imo, have a lot more fun with it than a scooter.

Exactly. +1

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
8/26/11 9:11 p.m.

I really don't have an interest other than fuel economy. I simply want to maximize the miles I can drive on a tank of gas. I have a miata I take out for fun on nice days. The local testing station said I don't need a motorcycle endorsement for a 49cc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
T8JtduHsdJiI7JxJEipBRuVqa7p1Y7qBIacbz7Tf1x4pFBAy9GvQxdLPBTTa3eaI