1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
2/25/09 6:55 p.m.

A 500-4 is a good little bike. They're somewhat collectible these days, and they were built like anvils so they were pretty reliable. Spare parts (either OEM or aftermarket) shouldn't be a big issue. Bikes have both an engine number and a chassis number; those two numbers may or may not match depending on the make, model and age of the bike (I don't know about Hondas but on my old Suzukis the numbers are different.) You may need to give both numbers to the DMV but that will depend on the state.

The simplest thing, if this guy's dad is still around and he is indeed the last registered owner, would be to have him fill out a lost title form at the DMV, get the replacement title, and then sell it to you. However, it sounds like that probably won't be an option if he's not being that helpful. The other choice, and this depends again on your state's DMV, is to just go ahead and buy it, and then apply for a new title yourself. They may or may not require you to post a bond while they check to make sure it's not stolen and generate a new title. For a motorcycle, the price of the bond shouldn't be a big deal.

Go to your DMV's website and look around, they most likely have information on what you need to do posted there.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/25/09 7:03 p.m.

Is $200 for a bike that needs assembled too much?

Supposedly the engine was rebuild by a professional shop, Blackman's of PA.

Yep, I think Pop's is passed. No luck there.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
2/25/09 9:16 p.m.

$200 sounds like a good deal to me, if it's all there.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/25/09 10:04 p.m.

It's either this CB500 or a GS400 for $400...personally...the GS400 looks less interesting, but it's got a title and it's all together.

Also have a line a CB650 as well.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/27/09 11:20 a.m.

Ok guys here's the run down:

71 CB500 Four in pieces, no title, was titled in PA, owner wants it out, not really willing to work on getting a title. $200

73 CL125, title in hand, all original (tires too) $800. (I can't really afford this, but a buddy would lend me cash)

80 GN400 $400, title, runs, good to go.

73 CB175, owner got it from the trash, repainted the frame and tank, looks real nice, no engine. $50

83 XS650, painted with flames, title, running good, $700

I really like the CL125, but the owner seems like a nice older guy, and I'd hate to low ball him. I really can't afford more than $400 of my own cash.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
2/27/09 12:40 p.m.

XS650.

In the long run, it's a more usable bike, at least on modern roads. A CL125 would make a fun urban run-about, or farm bike, but I don't think I'd want to rely on one for normal transportation.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
2/27/09 12:43 p.m.

GS400 or GN400? The GS was a twin cylinder conventionally styled Universal Japanese Motorcycle, the GN was a single cylinder with sort of weird crypto-chopper styling. The GS was a sweet little bike, the GN was sort of an oddball.

The CL125 is a nice little around town bike, but for that price it better be showroom fresh. The 650 Yamaha would have a lot of potential (I used to own a '74 and it was great to ride) but by 1983 I kind of think they had that Japanese cruiser style as well, instead of the classic British roadster look the earlier ones had.

It sounds like it comes down to how much work do you want to do on the bike before you can ride it? For the non-runners (especially the CB175 since it doesn't even have an engine) you could probably sink several hundred dollars more into them before they'd even be usable.

grinch77
grinch77 New Reader
2/27/09 1:05 p.m.

XS all the way parts support for those bike is amazing.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/27/09 8:35 p.m.

Uh oh, just found a 91 Ninja in good working order with title for $500.

I'm not big on the 90's sport bike styling, but it 10 years newer than everything else I'm looking at in the price range.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
2/27/09 8:50 p.m.

What size Ninja?

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/28/09 11:01 a.m.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/28/09 3:01 p.m.

I would have bought that before posting... go get it!

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/28/09 3:24 p.m.

Owner is working overtime, and doesn't have much time to show it off.

I also have mixed feeling about the styling. If I can get the SX650 for only $100 more, I think I'd rather have it.

skierd
skierd Dork
2/28/09 4:15 p.m.

There's a running, assembled CB500-4 on the Baltimore Craigslist, if you're interested, only $900.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1044011514.html

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/28/09 5:17 p.m.

Yeah...totally your choice, but for me, an EX500 is toward the top of my list of "if I come across one cheap enough" bikes.

I think the modernness of the EX500 is appealing to me too (not the looks so much--though I'm fine with them) as the not-AS-old wiring harness, probably better suspension and brake design and whatnaught.

Keep us posted!

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
3/2/09 2:02 a.m.

Strip the ninja's plastic and go naked.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/2/09 2:11 p.m.

I can't seem to find any nice looking early naked Ninja's.

That sounds questionable.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/2/09 3:28 p.m.

Now I found a $600 76 CB200T that looks in real nice shape.

Thing is, I'm going way over my $400 budget!

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/2/09 5:52 p.m.

ok...I gave that one up...decided $600 was too much for a 200cc.

Still hoping the XS650 Special will be around.

Starting a new topic on detailed information.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/3/09 2:23 p.m.

Not surprising the owner of the $500 Ninja that "ran great" but "needed the battery charged", wasn't available to show the bike off when I said "I'd bring a battery" and mysteriously sold the bike on the day he "wasn't available due to work".

Something tells me that bike didn't run.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
OrTO7gr7m7xO2isWHfM1ztiOb8sV0KoM93ko0cF46HP9h0GpU2QgGfCGq7Qp50vl