Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
6/7/09 2:59 p.m.

I'm getting too warm wearing a lined leather jacket.

any recommendations for Mesh or Textile jackets? hopefully something armored but not $200?

Anyone know of any no-name brands that are decent quality?

alex
alex HalfDork
6/7/09 3:20 p.m.

Firstgear stuff is pretty high quality for the price. Find something from their modern line (they keep old models in the catalog for quite a while) and you'll get a jacket with features on par with most anything else out there, at a reasonable price. Don't expect it to last forever, though. It'll make it through a few seasons or one good off, for sure. But it's not lifetime gear. That's the only real drawback.

Speed & Strength is nicely made stuff if you don't mind the graphics and/or design. Same with Icon. Joe Rocket is consistently nice, but the price has been creeping up.

I used to hawk this stuff at a bike shop, and I personally kept coming back to FG over other brands for price/quality. And it's fairly 'normal' looking gear, so you don't look like an out-of-place catalog model.

alex
alex HalfDork
6/7/09 3:21 p.m.

Although, for the record, I've never liked FG mesh gloves. I saw a bunch with split seams brand new.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/7/09 9:52 p.m.

I've got a Tourmaster/Cortech GX Air, that I got from New Enough. I think it was a little more than $200, but it's damn near an all-seasons jacket. It's a mesh shell, armored, with a two-piece liner system. First liner is wind/water proof, second is full-sleeve quilted. It's kept me comfortable from 8°F to 98°F (well, as comfortable as one can be in those extremes). Wife has the ladies version, and loves it, too.

New Enough is a pretty good online place. I went through two purchase/returns with them, and they were very quick to turn around. One issue wasn't over poor quality, but sizing. It's tough to guess what size you'll need, without trying something on, first. I thought I'd need a "Tall" size, for sleeve length, but Tm/Ct stuff is cut pretty long. I ended up with a "regular" cut. The other return was on a pair of gloves. The liner was twisted in one of the fingers. They were very apologetic and sent a new pair out immediately, before they even got my shipment back.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/09 8:03 a.m.

Two good suggestions above. I like First Gear stuff. I usually buy it from newenough.com.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
6/8/09 8:43 a.m.

I have a FieldSheer Mach8. Mesh body, leather elbows and shoulders, CE armor in the elbows and shoulder. The back pad is whimpy and I need to replace it with something more protective.

It's not on their website anymore, maybe you can find a closeout at a good price?

geowit
geowit Reader
6/8/09 12:18 p.m.

I've bought a lot of my gear from Motorcycle Superstore

Good service and good prices. I have a Field Shear mesh jacket with armor I really like. It has zip-open vents that I can close on a chilly morning.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
6/8/09 12:28 p.m.

They generally aren't cheap, but Aerostitch / Riders Wearhouse sells good stuff. http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html It's worth a look just to read their catalog.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
6/8/09 1:01 p.m.

What size are you? Like blue?

We've got a mans extra large CORTEX (TourMaster) that two or three years old that was my wife before she got her bike lic. She lost 54lbs so its for sale now i had it up in the casifeds a while back still got it.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/blue-and-black-tourmaster-cortech-jacket/7886/page1/

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/8/09 4:08 p.m.

best thing I reccomend is go to the local bike shop and check the clearance rack, usually you'll find an awesome deal. last seasons gear will be reduced greatly. i spent less than 300 bucks on a helmet jacket and gloves.

racerboy000
racerboy000 New Reader
6/8/09 7:54 p.m.

My wife and I hit a deer last week on my yzf 1000. Make sure you go a little over board on the gear and really think about proper riding pants, I had full riding gear on and can post pics of wear it burnt through the jacket, pants gloves and even wore a hole into my alpinestar boots.

Dav
Dav New Reader
6/8/09 8:51 p.m.

Being svelte or a fat ass pays big when it comes to motorcycle gear. Personally, I am the former and have made some nice scores. My "its hotter than hell outside" jacked is an AGV Sport Airtex that I got new from Dennis Kirk for $25 (normally ~$100). It is essentially mesh and CE armor. It is far from crash-proof, but provides great cooling and better protection than nothing at all... .

skierd
skierd Dork
6/8/09 9:52 p.m.

Its over your budget, but I'm getting an Olympia Stealth mesh 1pc for mostly pavement use, for mostly dirt rides I wear a 661 pressure suit and a MX jersey (and Klim Baja pants), its like wearing nothing at all once you're moving.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
6/9/09 7:59 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: I've got a Tourmaster/Cortech GX Air, that I got from New Enough. I think it was a little more than $200, but it's damn near an all-seasons jacket. It's a mesh shell, armored, with a two-piece liner system. First liner is wind/water proof, second is full-sleeve quilted. It's kept me comfortable from 8°F to 98°F (well, as comfortable as one can be in those extremes). Wife has the ladies version, and loves it, too.

I lucked into a lightly used one of these on Ebay for $55 after shipping. If you're willing to risk buying something without trying it on for size, I'd recommend trolling ebay.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/10/09 12:31 a.m.

Love Cortech, I have two. I also have a First Gear, which is much lighter, but it has foam rather than the kevlar armour. I have my leather, but yeah, on warm days, its a bit much.

Another endorsement for New Enough

leatherbull
leatherbull
6/11/09 1:56 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

skierd
skierd Dork
6/11/09 2:20 a.m.

Do you guys sell canoes too?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/11/09 12:09 p.m.

good canoe catch

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/09 1:27 p.m.

I love my Firstgear Mesh Jacket. It has a windbreaker-style insert that really expands how long I can wear it (spring and fall). Padded, but not removable armor.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
6/25/09 6:47 a.m.

Well, Ended up buying a slightly used Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket yesterday.

amazing difference. well worth the $90 I spent. that, I now have an armored jacket.

White with reflective panels and zip out liner. very comfortable.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav New Reader
6/25/09 8:30 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Well, Ended up buying a slightly used Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket yesterday. amazing difference. well worth the $90 I spent. that, I now have an armored jacket. White with reflective panels and zip out liner. very comfortable.

Congrats - seems like a lot of lightly used stuff is out there at good prices. I'm on the lookout for a pair of armored overpants, but it seems like not as many of those around.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j1vwPZHizFiD1bmAa9oV7KdcLrNst8nig9lFjtLdXxkjxRSSw6TewabG0hGrTqbV