Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
7/28/14 12:38 p.m.

I have a 10-ish year old Giant full suspension mountain bike. Paid in the neighborhood of $800 new.

I took it into a LBS for a tune-up. They noticed a big crack in the rear swingarm weld that opens up when I sit on it. They are not a Giant dealer.

The shop I bought it from is no longer a Giant dealer. They also purged their customer records years ago. Surprisingly, I didn’t keep the receipt from a decade ago.

I took it to another local shop. They seem nice enough people, but the Giant rep looked at the bike and offered $125 off a new bike. May as well offer me $125 off a new Mercedes, I am not in the position to buy either right now.

Has anyone ever pushed back and gotten anything better? Here is the test from the Giant warranty that I found online -

“ Unless otherwise provided, the sole remedy under the above Giant warranty, or any implied warranty, is limited to the replacement of defective parts with those of equal or greater value at the sole discretion of Giant. This warranty extends from the date of purchase, applies only to the original owner, and is not transferable. “

Methinks I should at least get a new frame. I don’t know if Giant still makes a 26” frame that my parts will bolt up to. I don’t need (or really want) a full suspension bike anyway. Do I push the bike shop? Do I ask to speak directly with the Giant rep? Am I screwed because I can’t prove that I am the original owner?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/14 1:59 p.m.

A good Giant shop should be able to help you with this.

I had a similar issue where I sold my giant (in what I thought was excellent shape) to a person on Ebay. They sent me pictures where the downtube was cracked.

The person I sold the bike to was able to go to his shop and explain what happened. His shop got the Giant rep to replace the frame free of charge.

Where are you located? Maybe somebody can recommend a good shop.

I would also try calling Giant and seeing what they say directly.

Rob R.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
7/28/14 2:32 p.m.

If the Giant rep looked at it, you may be hosed. A Giant factory store may not give you anything better. You may still be able to use drivetrain parts, and wheels (IF Giant still makes a 26, most don't), but fork and shock will likely be a lost cause. If you are forced to update the shock due to new head tube standards, there's a fair chance the new fork will be disc only which would then require new brakes and new wheels.

I had a friend recently that went through a similar claim on a Gary Fisher dual. He ended up getting a lower end Trek 29" hardtail for about $100 or something, but not what I'd call a square deal.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/28/14 7:22 p.m.

Take it to somebody good with a TIG welder?

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
7/28/14 9:08 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Take it to somebody good with a TIG welder?

That is what I will probably do. I was hoping to get a new frame, but it will probably be a huge hassle. I like the bike and my best friend is a very skilled fabricator and owns a shop that I pass every day going to and from work. over the years as a buyer I have had him weld everything from aluminum, stainless, titanium, inconel & hastalloy to heavy carbon steel and even stainless steel to carbon steel parts.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/14 9:23 p.m.

Did you mail in the warranty registration card from the back of the owner's manual? If you did, you shouldn't need the receipt.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ACcHrAZItoZoqu3AIHsEe8PUGJVI7dH8Vq70TYRQgHcXvJV2ZoR2Np5Xvv8rMJJ