1 2
ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/17/09 9:32 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/1321/

I don't have any photos on photobucket or anything yet (I'll try to get some up) but I just picked this one up yesterday. I haven't even ridden it yet. However, it did ride across town to my house with the help of a friend.

I'm singing the Beach Boys' "Little Honda" today and for the foreseeable future.

Next stop, Insurance, Title, and Historic tags.

It presents well but needs its share of little stuff. The petcock has been bypassed (someone took out the lever and put a rubber cover where it goes), the gas cap latch is broken/missing, it's missing a rear peg, the side cover is cracked, etc.

I just couldn't pass up a runner for the price though. I NEEDED (read: really wanted) a running bike for once in my life. This will be the kind of bike a person won't want to let go...even when I upgrade to a modern bike.

Clem

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
6/17/09 9:39 a.m.

I hate you...and by hate I mean youre a pretty nice guy with good advice who I am VERRRYYYY envious of. Thats a very nice find, congrats (you jerk)

alex
alex HalfDork
6/17/09 12:08 p.m.

Nice going. You're right, those are loveable little bikes.

First step, if you're not super keen on keeping it stock: remove airbox, fit individual filters, rejet carbs. Not only will it perk the little critter up a bit, and look kinda cool doing it, you'll be thankful you don't have the airbox in the way when you need to remove the carbs in the future. Although, maybe you should try to take the carbs off just once with the airbox in place, just so you'll appreciate this advice..

It's my opinion that airbox delete should be step 1 on any aircooled Honda mod list. Heck, pretty much any carb'd Honda benefits from freer breathing, until you get into the pressurized airboxes and such.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/09 12:43 p.m.

That's a great looking bike! Retro classic. If it wasn't so unsafe you could get an open face helmet and some goggles.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/17/09 1:42 p.m.

Seriously...?

If I made all my judgements in life on how unsafe things were...I'd...

Well...I just can't imagine that. (see avatar photo)

berkeley it! I've got a flat black retro open face helmet (like garage-sale retro. Again with the avatar photo). I'll wear swim goggles!

j/k (about the swim goggles only)

Clem

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
6/17/09 2:22 p.m.

Here's a link to some DIY goggles clem...hope they get foggy on you, you get sick of riding with foggy goggles, and you want to sell your bike...to me...for cheap

Another Link

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/17/09 2:55 p.m.

I guess I should look into a scarf too?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/17/09 3:08 p.m.

Thats a great bike, but you know, they make new 3/4 helmets in the old style, but more comfortable.

Get a James May style one and the same aviation goggle he wears.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/09 3:35 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Seriously...? If I made all my judgements in life on how unsafe things were...I'd... Well...I just can't imagine that. (see avatar photo) berkeley it! I've got a flat black retro open face helmet (like garage-sale retro. Again with the avatar photo). I'll wear swim goggles! j/k (about the swim goggles only)

Hey, sometimes you just gotta go for it.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
6/18/09 1:56 a.m.

Halcyon.

Are awesome.

minimac
minimac Dork
6/18/09 5:34 a.m.

Nice score!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/18/09 7:58 a.m.

I rode this thing for the first time last night (just around ne neighborhood...it's not legal yet) and I'm in love. This bike is so much fun, it's ridiculous!

Clem

MissMarie
MissMarie New Reader
6/19/09 12:51 a.m.

So cool! So jealous! :)

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/24/09 9:03 a.m.

Well,

I made it legal yesterday. I got my "Historic Vehicle" tag for it (anything 25 years or older is elligible).

I rode it to work today. Since I haven't ridden on the road before, so much...I found 50 mph to be a comfortable top speed for now. I can get to work on the backroads with a top speed limit of 45 or 55...so that will do ok. Hopefully this thing gets good gas mileage...I could use that right now.

Apparently I'm part of the club now, too. Everyone on a bike waves. I need to come up with my own signature wave. I like the casual low salute...

Clem

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
6/24/09 10:40 a.m.
ClemSparks wrote: ...Hopefully this thing gets good gas mileage...I could use that right now....

I will guess 60-70 mpg. My 200cc thumper (carbs, magneto) gets around 65 with street driving.

alex
alex HalfDork
6/24/09 3:15 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: Apparently I'm part of the club now, too. Everyone on a bike waves. I need to come up with my own signature wave. I like the casual low salute...

Peace sign. For the bike you're on it's era- and attitude-appropriate.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
6/24/09 3:20 p.m.

I really love Davida helmets... so cool, but I wouldn't be comfortable with an open-face.

cwh
cwh Dork
6/24/09 3:22 p.m.

Nice!! I was expecting a picture of a ratty, rusty old POS, but that thing is gorgeous! Enjoy, you will get a lot of attention on her.

Luke
Luke Dork
6/24/09 10:37 p.m.

That is extremely cool . I've been looking around for something similar as my first motorcycle.

(Btw, readers' ride says it's a 400...I assume it's actually a 200?)

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/25/09 11:30 a.m.
Luke wrote: (Btw, readers' ride says it's a 400...I assume it's actually a 200?)

Affirmative. Thanks for the note...I've fixed it now.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
6/25/09 11:32 a.m.
cwh wrote: Nice!! I was expecting a picture of a ratty, rusty old POS, but that thing is gorgeous! Enjoy, you will get a lot of attention on her.

It seems most of my stuff is ratty, rusty old, POS . And the CL175 I had prior and sold was such a ratty, rusty old POS that I sold it before getting it ridable. however, this one is a good 20 foot looker. I think I'll ride it this season and maybe think about doing some work on it over the winter. We'll see how it goes.

Oh...and I hope to get some attention ;). I'm single now, afterall.

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/24/09 11:02 a.m.

Hey all,

I've been riding this bike for a few weeks now. It's great! The shifter is a little less than stellar, it won't idle consistently (sometimes it dies, sometimes it ildes high...), and has a few other issues. But I love it.

I'm curious if there's a good forum or online resources for the honda aircooled twins. I'm on a yahoo group that seemed to be the only/best real reasource several years ago, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone has any other ideas.

I need to research a few things on the bike. I really need to fix/replace the gas cap latch soon.

Thanks, Clem

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
7/25/09 8:45 a.m.

dotheton.com has a lot of good information, but is not a Honda twin specific site.

If the shifter is sloppy, it could be the return spring, they seem to be a somewhat common failure. As for your idle issues, I'd start by cleaning & adjusting the points, and a quick check over the rest of the ignition system. After that, it's time to check the valve adjustment, then clean and adjust the carburetors.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
7/25/09 4:23 p.m.

The shifter isn't sloppy...it's clunky. It likes to "slam" into gear. When I hit second and third, it typically sounds like somethings hitting the inside of the case or such.

I do realize the carbs and ignition system need some attention and a tune up. It runs well enough for now that I'll probably wait to do that until the weather gets too cold to ride (or until it breaks down ;)).

Thanks, Clem

minimac
minimac Dork
7/26/09 8:07 a.m.

Try running some denatured alcohol mixed with the gas to clear out the varnish from in the carbs and lines. I've used about 1/4 pint to a full tank and it seemed to work well without damaging anything.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xNECmTs7a7ryR3kYiuvFN5K6Hvzu3y03Cg4mtxRtdVb1UxFmSYaN9PNpLT88E9EX