vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/17/18 5:30 p.m.

Want to learn to ride.  Saw this at local shop. 

Built on Suzuki Savage 650LS /S40.

Looking for cheap starter bike that I can learn on then transform with the RYCA kit. Maybe even do the scrambler conversion. 

Anyone got one? Email me geo (dot) L (dot) Rooney at gmail dotcom 

BTW, I'm in Vermont. 

Thanks, 

George

minimac
minimac SuperDork
3/19/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Is $1200 asking cheap enough? https://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1987-suzuki-savage-650/6510195665.html

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/20/18 7:48 a.m.

Love the Ryca kits but the cost plus a donor = buying an actual bike with real displacement. You have to want to do the build and throw sense to the wind.

Unless you just ride in the city you will quickly tire of the power limit of the Savage, IMO. Used Triumph Scrambler FTW.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/20/18 9:28 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Love the Ryca kits but the cost plus a donor = buying an actual bike with real displacement. You have to want to do the build and throw sense to the wind.

Unless you just ride in the city you will quickly tire of the power limit of the Savage, IMO. Used Triumph Scrambler FTW.

Yeah, I have seen the same thing. For that money, you can get a fuel injected Bonneville. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/20/18 7:21 p.m.

Well.  I've decided to try and rebuild the Kawasaki KZ400h I found leaning on a tree with a free sign on it 5 years ago. I'm quite good at disassembly. It's in about a thousand pieces in my garage. Maybe turn into a scrambler. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/21/18 7:47 a.m.

The KZ400 is on the short list of bikes I'd like to have for a winter project.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0di2Qa5UZRwU5TTnfgk28ik3tTFLJwBSVi6fEBkDqrbkIxgPRqdEQ4UlByh7jKxH