skierd
skierd Dork
5/27/09 12:11 a.m.

Up bright and early 6am, good morning Towson!

Went out to western MD and WV for a dual sport ride with some DAMN (Dual Sporters/Adventurers of Maryland and Nearby) guys, but first I gotta make it to Middleton, MD by 8am to meet the group.

Ate a quick breakfast, shower, gear up, out to the bike:

Starting mileage, 2311

Slabbed it out on I-70 since thats the fastest way, got to the meeting spot a little early, only guy there was Ken with his KLR

A little later two more guys, Phil on the DR650 motard and Mike on another KLR650.

Phil's got the route, so off we go. No pics of the pavement portion, I was too busy trying to keep up but it was basically 60 miles of twisty ass country roads, mostly undivided and mostly kinda paved. I know I caught air a couple of times going over some of the humps, great ride. Make it to Hancock around 10am or so, filled up the WR250R (.91 gallons for 59.6 miles, flogging it the whole way). Decide to take Old National Pike west, as our end destination is Greenridge State Park and the ORV trails and fire roads out there. On one of the side roads, we come to a dead end. Decided to see just dead it was, and found a ton of tree's knocked down

So back to the main road, for now

Time for another detour, this time finally off pavement

Mikes KlR decided to take a nap after the mud...

Help? Hold on, I'm taking a picture!

Lots more two track, little muddy sections, a few small creek crossings, and we get spit out of the woods in Orleans, MD at Bill's place. HIGHLY recommended if you're ever out this way!

Ate lunch at Bill's, then back to the trails. A lot of this

A lot more that I was too busy trying to stay up on too take pics. Imagine that, just half as wide with all the nice gravel washed away to the rock/mud. A quick stop at the C+O Canal near Paw Paw for some maintenance on Mike's KLR to repair crash damage

I also had to screw the air box panel back down, it vibrated loose on all the gravel or from one of the two times I put the bike down (once on top of a tree on the dead end, once stopped at an intersection where the grade caught me off balance).

Down onto the ORV trails a little, Ken decided to take the Hero route over this water crossing

Back out onto pavement, down Detour Road in WV which was berkeleying awesome. Basically 10 miles of 3rd gear switchbacks! Then took the scenic route back to Middleton on Rt9 and 901, and avoided the slab by taking Liberty Road home from Frederick.

Ending mileage: 2643 (332 miles on a dual sport seat and yes the sheepskin butt pad helps, a lot).

Now with more mud!

It was a good day!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 8:34 a.m.

What a riot! I always wanted a Dual Sport to check out those over grown old roads or paths of the side of the road.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
5/27/09 9:14 a.m.

threads like this and ADVRIDERS make me want a dual sport bike..... bad...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
5/27/09 1:54 p.m.

Time to part out the wrecked miata and see if I can find myself a dual sport...

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
5/27/09 2:30 p.m.

I can't wiat to move back to WV, They have the best and funnest roads to drive through the mountains and scenery to match!!!

Opus
Opus Dork
5/27/09 10:47 p.m.

Nice, wish I could have ridden myself. Not as much opportunity these days. I am impressed that you did it on a 250. With my size (275+) a 400 would be a minimum. Mileage was nice though. Keep posting pictures of your rides. Maybe it will inspire others.

zipty842
zipty842 New Reader
5/27/09 11:20 p.m.

That area looks like fun. Riding with other people sure looks nice, too. I did over 200 miles of forest service roads Monday on my 230L, by myself.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
6/4/09 9:45 a.m.

I used to be able to do 100 miles of "two trackers" complete with water crossings just in Frederick County MD. Unfortunately a lot of those roads have been "paved". One of my projects for this summer is to do a video of those roads. I give you a copy when I get it done.

PHeller
PHeller HalfDork
6/14/09 4:45 p.m.

Looks like one of your guys was riding a Motard on very street tires.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HqAJp6qw8wB3k2JefhNoTVgYsrQSLmy5wUfQ6zAzycaIbQLBfgiUI9cuGTVYbzwb