Appleseed MegaDork
7/16/17 11:36 a.m.

Trolling Craigslist this morning, and I'm seeing a ton of cheap, rad , running bikes...with no titles.

Is it really that hard to get one? I know if you buy one you run the risk of it coming up hot, but with a bill of sale at least you could trail it back to the last guy ... right? Can you go to the DMV with the numbers and see if it's stolen, or who actually owned it?

I know each state/province is different, but any basic guides? Anyone else attempt this before?

I have a line on a running CB125T for $300, and no title.

secretariata Dork
7/16/17 1:07 p.m.

If you know a cop, they can usually run the VIN and check if it's stolen. Might even be able to call the local police station to have it checked (not sure as I have a friend that I go through)?

BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/16/17 1:08 p.m.

It's not only an issue of the bike coming up hot, it might also have a title loan with Luigi the Loanshark. Although that's probably less likely on a $300 bike.

Donebrokeit SuperDork
7/16/17 8:43 p.m.

I just roll into the local State police station and give them the VIN, takes a second.


stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/16/17 9:36 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I know each state/province is different, but any basic guides? Anyone else attempt this before?

Take a look at the SEMA page, they have titling information for every state.

A more basic website that also may be useful is

914Driver MegaDork
7/17/17 7:45 a.m.

I can do it in NY if it's 1973 or older. Some suggest going through Vermont or Maine.

stroker UltraDork
7/18/17 5:45 p.m.

I had a no title H2 redone about 15 years ago via the innernets. Don't remember which company. Seemed to work okay. I was thinking about this very thing this morning since the Missouri DMV lost one of my GS1000 titles when processing it...

EvanB UltimaDork
7/25/17 2:04 p.m.

I got my CT90 registered in Vermont then transferred that for an Ohio title. I believe the VT requirements are under 350cc and older than 20-25 years.

Our Preferred Partners