1 2
kartkidbirel
kartkidbirel New Reader
10/7/12 12:28 a.m.

Very cool! Have always wanted a trials bike.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/12 10:17 p.m.

I went riding through the rocks at Thomaston Dam on Thursday. The recently refurb-ed Montesa ran like a (World) Champ!

Photobucket

On a related note: X-rays of my leg were negative and I managed to escape the ordeal with just a tetanus shot and some antibiotics.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/12 11:15 p.m.

Good stuff woody! Keep it coming!

Woody
10/14/12 6:15 p.m.

Today was the last day for riding at the Dam, so I went back for a farewell tour. I expected a crowd, but it was seriously mobbed, with riders of all ages on every kind of bike imaginable. Except trials bikes...

While I was unloading, almost everyone who rode past stopped to take a closer look. Many people asked questions. It's not for sale, but I had two guys who were very interested in trying to buy it. Both left me their contact info, even though I didn't ask for it.

The ride was great. I was still hurting pretty badly from the fall I took on Thursday, but I rode right through the section that tried to break my leg a few days earlier.

Riding a trials bike is a lot more work than I expected, but it was very satisfying going up an over stuff that no one else could get through. I got a lot of strange looks as I was gearing up, but later, I passed a bunch of those same guys who were stuck in the woods.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what kind of bike I really want. Something light, but with a seat would be nice. There were a few guys there with Husqvarna TE310s and I really liked the way they were getting through the trees. They're really pricey, though. We'll see what the winter brings.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
10/14/12 6:43 p.m.

I worked a round of the Canadian national trials championship the last two years, and it looked like so much fun, I couldn't wait to get out on a trials bike and try it. I was SO looking forward to it, and I hated it I guess it's not for everybody.

The Huskies are great bikes. They were very inexpensive around here until recently. Now they are competitively or slightly under priced new compared to the Japanese bikes. I would suggest a 2 stroke, like a WR300, or if you don't mind an older bike, their previous gen 2 stroke bikes are also very good, and very inexpensive used. The older 4 strokes are not great bikes.

My local Husky dealer has a 2011 CR 125 coming back on a trade that's been woods converted, with less than 5 hours. I will probably buy it and sell my KDX220, also an excellent woods/trail bike.

Woody
10/15/12 8:07 a.m.

I've heard good things about the KDX 220, but I don't really want anything that old and I'd really like a four stroke.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
10/15/12 12:05 p.m.

The last year for the KDX was 2005, and they are about as reliable a bike as you can find-and cheap. When I asked the KDX guys what the piston/ring change interval was, they all laughed

I'm not anti-four stroke, but I know how I would feel if one day I was riding, and the next had to part my bike out to try and stop the bleeding. It's not just the MX guys blowing them up, even the trail riders on TE's are. A word of warning, a used high performance 4 stroke IS a grenade. It's only a matter of time.

Woody
10/22/12 9:56 a.m.

I just bought a seat for this bike through eBay of Spain. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. We'll see how it turns out in about a month or so...

Photobucket

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
10/22/12 10:22 a.m.

back in the early 70's when i raced motocross the Penton dealer also was a Montesa dealer and other brands but he had hanging in the window a 50cc Montesa trials bike it was a exact copy of the Corta 242 and i remember him telling us that it was a promotional bike that they were made for the dealers. i have never seen one again.

watching a good trials rider is amazing, what they can do on two wheels is unbelivable sometimes

very nice bike need to see a vid of you going up 12' vert

Woody
10/22/12 10:28 a.m.
cutter67 wrote: very nice bike need to see a vid of you going up 12' vert

The more realistic situation would be seeing me going down a 12' vert.

On a related note, my right leg has almost healed...

Woody
11/23/12 2:19 p.m.

I took a chance and bought an NOS seat off of eBay Spain. It took exactly a month to get here but it's very nicely made and perfect. I haven't installed it yet, but here's a photo of it sitting on the bike. I doubt that I'll actually sit on it much while I'm riding, but it will be good for taking a break and giving my legs a rest.

Photobucket

Woody
6/21/13 10:14 a.m.

Doesn't look like I'll be doing a lot of Mentesing this season.

This is where I ride...

photo IMG_1124_zps1042b356.jpg

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
6/21/13 4:40 p.m.

My old boss is in to Trials in a big way. Buys a new bike every year to stay competitive.

I thought I would like the sport since it does not involve high speed, and despite being a motor-head, ultra high speed had never been my thing.

When Trials riding, the pain arrives in other flavours. The immediate discovery is that you need to be fit to play this game. And it gets hot with the gear on and you don't have a high speed breeze to cool you down.

Falling off a 10' tall boulder, even though it seems to happen in slow motion, does not seem to hurt any less than missing the tabletop at the dirt bike track either. Go figure.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
6/22/13 4:47 p.m.

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0g8DX8Uc4sY#at=272

Makes me want to ditch my CRF450x and find a trials bike. Although, I do like sitting down every now and then...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
6/22/13 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

You could always get a canoe.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CpygBdjzSU7uG1mlTPeiSZCybSs0pRPorx0X3wTJS6r0aa0bqHVyFp4APAC6julu