fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/8/09 6:43 p.m.

What's up with these things? I've been seeing quite a few of these around (usually on Honduh Goldschwing types, no Hardleys spotted yet). Is the point just so the old farts riding them don't drop them at a stop light? And the ones I've seen are fixed down, in that they don't retract up once you're moving. I don't get it....

alex
alex HalfDork
7/8/09 8:56 p.m.

There are several models that retract when in motion, through some mechanism I don't understand - nor do I want to.

Yeah, it's for geezers with bikes that are too big for their old bones. I get that you want to keep riding, but you may want to think about a smaller and lighter bike if your hip's gonna break when it tips past a certain angle. But these are the same guys pulling a trailer, with their wife on back in a matching helmet and jacket.

Honestly, I don't care how old you are: if you've got a full dress touring bike pulling a trailer, you're taking too much stuff. Either pare down, or buy a car. May I suggest a Miata?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/8/09 9:49 p.m.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a bike with (I'm guessing) mom and dad on the bike, son in the side car and a trailer being towed behind. If I hadn't been so tired from fueling at the twelve hour the day before I would have turned around and chased them down to determine what bike they were riding. It had full luggage, but did not look like a goldwing.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/8/09 10:24 p.m.
alex wrote: There are several models that retract when in motion, through some mechanism I don't understand - nor do I want to. Yeah, it's for geezers with bikes that are too big for their old bones. I get that you want to keep riding, but you may want to think about a smaller and lighter bike if your hip's gonna break when it tips past a certain angle. But these are the same guys pulling a trailer, with their wife on back in a matching helmet and jacket. Honestly, I don't care how old you are: if you've got a full dress touring bike pulling a trailer, you're taking too much stuff. Either pare down, or buy a car. May I suggest a Miata?

I bet they could haul more stuff on the bike without the trailer, than a miata can I know I'm going to be murdered in my sleep for that comment

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/9/09 5:37 a.m.

There are three main types I know of.

One is just a trike conversion. Replace the rear axle with a cut down Toyota or Ford rear end. Goldwing and Viragos seem to abound with these conversions. Seems to require a big belly and grey hair.

The second is a torsion bar axle assembly across the bike. I tend to see these on bikes riden by short folk, often times women. I do see these on bikes down to about 500 cc. It allows leaning, which is pretty cool.

The third and rare type is the retractable landing gear design. I did this design for a parapalegic friend. Got ripped off later, right down to the wheel spats. Just a horseshoe that mounts on the frame and hydraulically lowers to hold the bike up. You retract it when you get going.

My favorite technique is to get a strong long legged female passenger. Then she can put her feet down and hold the bike and I upright.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/9/09 6:23 a.m.

I've seen the retractable's for (older) people who don't have the leg strength to hold up a 900 lb bike. on the GL1800 I believe it is a automatic system. retracts at 5mph.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/9/09 6:28 a.m.

http://www.trikealternative.com/

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/09 9:49 a.m.

Harley is offering a factory trike now, the Tri Glide Custom.

I like the removable trike idea because the original motorcycle is still there, ready for resale with low low miles!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/9/09 10:33 a.m.

I see a lot of trikes around here. Some people just feel more comfortable not having to balance a bike. Fully loaded, I have weighed my bike at 1380 lbs. That is a lot to balance and push out of a parking space, certainly, but I think that it is mostly inexperienced people afraid of 2 wheels.

I've seen the "training wheels" things. My friend's cousin's wife has them on some kind of jap bike in the 700CC class. I saw it at Sturgis in '07. I think it is a security blanket thing. They are more afraid of falling over than anything else. Now, for a handicapped person that want's to ride, I think it is great. I saw a guy with one functioning leg on a HD dresser with a side car. He bungied his non-working foot (or prostesis, I didn't look too close) to the floor board. He was behind us at 95 MPH across Wyoming. I had noticed a bike with a side car back behind us and I thought it was a 1800CC Honduh I'd seen at the last gas stop, so I poured it on.

therex
therex SuperDork
7/9/09 11:24 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I see a lot of trikes around here. Some people just feel more comfortable not having to balance a bike. Fully loaded, I have weighed my bike at 1380 lbs. That is a lot to balance and push out of a parking space, certainly, but I think that it is mostly inexperienced people afraid of 2 wheels. I've seen the "training wheels" things. My friend's cousin's wife has them on some kind of jap bike in the 700CC class. I saw it at Sturgis in '07. I think it is a security blanket thing. They are more afraid of falling over than anything else.

For a handicapped person, I think it's legit, but for the average rider, this just illustrates why the MSF course should be mandatory.

Once you're moving, you can't fall over by accident!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/9/09 12:36 p.m.
therex wrote: Once you're moving, you can't fall over by accident!

Sand, ice, water, trucks, blowouts, etc.

I can think of a lot of ways to fall over by accident when moving. BTDT, quite a number of times over the years.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
7/9/09 2:08 p.m.

Not too many people fall over on purpose, especially at speed.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/09 2:18 p.m.

I'm all for more people on motorcycles. It increases visibility and acceptance. Also, if car drivers get more used to seeing a motorcycle on the road they'll know better how to act around them.

I like ice cream. If you're eating ice cream with me I don't care what flavor you like!

therex
therex SuperDork
7/9/09 3:16 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Sand, ice, water, trucks, blowouts, etc.

None of which are going to be helped in any way by training wheels, was my point.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/9/09 3:23 p.m.

Some years ago, when I worked at a newspaper in Sun City, Ariz., (the ginormous retirement community just outside Phoenix) I did a story on old-timer bikers. They were a really cool bunch of guys. Some had just decided to start riding when they retired, some had been riding 70 years. I think every one of them would have laughed at the idea of training wheels.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/9/09 9:58 p.m.

I have a friend that rides a Goldwing trike. Of course if you see her you'll see why. She's about 5'2" and maybe 105 soaking wet. She likes the comfort of the wing but she can't hold it up so she opted for the trike.

First time I saw the training wheel was in a parking lot. I waited for the owner and watched him (older gentleman of course) get on the bike, motor it backwards (did I forget to mention the bike was a GL1100), start it up and drive away, as he sped up the training wheels lifted. I thought it was cool technology at the time and thought it a good way for some to stay riding. Since I have a bad knee that can't hold a lot of weight, thought maybe something like that would work for me when the other one gives out.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/9/09 10:00 p.m.
therex wrote:
None of which are going to be helped in any way by training wheels, was my point.

True but not the point of the training wheels. They are for parking lots, stop signs, stop lights and similiar circumstances.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/10/09 5:10 a.m.
therex wrote:

Again, not true. The constantly down type help hold the bike up under all conditions and at all speeds. So you slide around, but you don't fall down.

The retractable landing gear systems, particularly my design, hit the ground with the wheel before the bike or the rider hit the ground. It is perfectly capable of lifting the bike and rider completely upright.

therex
therex SuperDork
7/11/09 7:01 a.m.
True but not the point of the training wheels. They are for parking lots, stop signs, stop lights and similiar circumstances.

All places where you should learn how to keep your bike upright or get off of it.

Again, if you're disabled, that's one thing. If you're perfectly abled, this falls into the same realm in my brain as trikes, which trigger nothing but disgust and disdain from me.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/11/09 9:25 a.m.

I like the Spyder and T-Rex, but other wise wouldn't want a trike. You get the disadvantages of a bike (that has a front suspension that is likely now unhappy), with the disadvantages of a car.

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/14/09 11:59 a.m.
I bet they could haul more stuff on the bike without the trailer, than a miata can I know I'm going to be murdered in my sleep for that comment

Sure, but you could pull the trailer with the Miata too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k1V5Nari2l8M1iyyz1O546kBRVd3TnSbZsqhjnu0ppJhRR3UdJZOHwfYbXPvLmGK