markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/23/18 12:04 p.m.

One big downside of a bike with over 100k on the  clock is that a lot of bolts have been there a while and are very stubborn. One of the very fun ones is the rear frame bolt. Time for heat.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/23/18 6:20 p.m.

Get it?   

Maybe dunk the bike in a big tub of penetrating oil.....

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/23/18 6:23 p.m.

Don't think it'll fit in a 50 gal drum

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/24/18 6:38 a.m.

The motor to frame bolts are a known bugger to get out the factory did not use any lube or anti-seeze when installing them and to boot some were made wrong and snap then lead to busted cases.  Air powered chisel is you friend on getting it to move but make sure to keep a nut on it to help from mushrooming the end just move it a 1/2 srapy and push it back in untill you can work the lube most of the way.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/24/18 6:55 a.m.

This isn'tba slide out problem. This is a turning problem. I can't get it to unscrew.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/24/18 12:48 p.m.

I'm not used to seeing 100,000mi and Ducati in the same sentence.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/24/18 12:59 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm not used to seeing 100,000mi and Ducati in the same sentence.

LOL! That was one of the reasons I had to buy the bike. 1 owner too. There are monsters with over 200k.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/25/18 1:06 p.m.

If properly maintained the DesmoDuo (2V SOHC L-Twin) is a seriously reliable engine.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/29/18 3:02 p.m.

Broke 3 bolts (so far) in the tear down process. The 2 kick stand mount bolts and the rear engine mount bolt. All 3 are NLA from Ducati. When they were, the Frame bolt was almost 40 and the 2 kick stand bolts were almost 20 each. DANG! Searching for used. The kick stand bolts I may be able to sub standard stuff for (won't look right) the engine mount will have to be the right one.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/3/18 7:16 p.m.

Frame on hoist. Swingarm off. Kick stand off,but still the 1 engine bolt. Thinking time for sawzall. Located low mileage 900ss with hi comp fbf pistons.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
6/3/18 7:31 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Can't use some quality allthread and a couple nuts?

My Ducs just use a long bolt with a nut but they're a lot older.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/3/18 7:56 p.m.

The rear hoses into the frame. It's the front that has a nut. I really wish Ducati had done both with buts. My darn luck.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/14/18 7:06 p.m.

Used a jack to spread the frame to get a sawzall in between the frame and engine where th rear mounting bolt is. Cut bot sides. That bolt has completely rusted itself within the case. This is soooo much fun! 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/18/18 7:44 p.m.

Picked up the FBF engine tonight!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zsXysgtZW38J32lLWc0GCvcXoVOao6NlUjLl6GcZwGrfTVZiRvHW6n7OuiEkBWWA