Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
3/24/09 6:40 a.m.

The wife and I just picked up a sweet 73 Honda 125, neither of us have ever ridden so Id thought this would be perfect to learn on and cruise around the yard for awhile.

Check it out 500 bones--

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
3/24/09 6:48 a.m.

the bike looks good too just kiddin bro. I love old enduro or crossover bikes or whatever you call em. Some beefier tires and a flatter bar and you have a fun lil Cafe style bike...jealousy is an appetizer Ive learned to enjoy having been on this forum for a little while now.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/24/09 7:19 a.m.

Fun bikes. Be ready to fall from time to time. That's one of the nice things about dirt, it tends to be a bit softer than asphalt. Not soft, but softer. Enjoy!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
3/24/09 7:51 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Fun bikes. Be ready to fall from time to time. That's one of the nice things about dirt, it tends to be a bit softer than asphalt. Not soft, but softer. Enjoy!

ha ha well put

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
3/24/09 8:02 a.m.

$500 is a good price for what appears, from the picture, to be a pretty clean example.

If it's been sitting for a while, be sure to change out the fluids (brake too), check the brake material, etc. If it splutters or doesn't start well, the carb is likely gummed up - should be pretty easy to tear down.

Oh, and don't cafe it, the little scramblers have their place in the world too. If you're anywhere near DC, I'll buy it when you're ready to upgrade to something larger.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
3/24/09 11:55 a.m.

Great little bike. When/if you upgrade, don't sell it, trust me.

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
3/24/09 12:56 p.m.

I like the look of this bike:http://www.motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/Custom/1977_triumph_bobber_chopper.jpg

-but wouldnt want to do anything to permanently modify the Honda. Just maybe clean it up a bit. It is pretty clean for Michigan, just some dents but ill tank lots of dents over any rust anyday.

Anyways, on that Triumph that I linked to, what has been done to the front end to push that front tire out a bit, Im assuming that not the factory stance. Could this be done without permanently modifying the frame or no?

yea the Honda is a little cold blooded could probably have the carb gone through but its really not that bad and it runs great once its going. Supposedly has new cam and sprockets and newer tires. Odo says 6500 miles, ill try to get some better pics. Only thing that doesnt work is the neutral light, which would be handy since we're just learning. But everything else is golden.

thanks Nick

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
3/24/09 4:20 p.m.

That Triumph has a new frame - it's a hardtail. The head tube angle (where the fork mounts) might be different, not sure.

Lowering the rear and shortening (or removing) the front fender can give a bit of a raked-out look.

If you want to play around with the looks without any permanent mods, you could: - find replacement front and rear fenders (or build them from generic trailer/tractor fenders) and chop them down to taste. Keep the originals in a box. - install a solo seat (or buy a replacement OEM style seat and chop it down to taste). - remove the signals - install a clubman/cafe handle bar

That said, I like the look of the little scramblers. I'd fab up a skid plate under the engine, rehab the fork and shocks, and weld up a little cargo rack.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Reader
3/24/09 8:22 p.m.

nice find

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
3/24/09 11:11 p.m.

looks good....but cough helmet cough wish I could find a bike that clean for that price

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
3/25/09 9:00 p.m.

How would I o about lowerin the rear?

CLynn85
CLynn85 New Reader
3/25/09 9:06 p.m.

Wow! I'm so jealous. That's exactly the type of bike and price I've been looking for but to no avail. Enjoy it!

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
3/25/09 9:09 p.m.
Lennyseleven wrote: How would I o about lowerin the rear?

Putting shorter shocks on would do the trick, but by the looks of the bike, you don't have much if any room to lower with that rear wheel.

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
3/25/09 9:23 p.m.

Anyone know what the model is of this bike? I cant find a similar one anywhere.

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
3/27/09 10:36 p.m.

How much do you want for the clymer manual?

Dumb question for the day: If I have a kickstarter can I start it with a dead battery?

Dav
Dav New Reader
3/28/09 4:12 p.m.

Nice score! I have a similar vintage Kawasaki G4TR Trail Boss 100 in my shed (it has a "transfer case" with a low/high range so it is kinda a 10-speed ;) ). I wish it was in as good as shape as yours above.

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
3/30/09 12:44 p.m.

RacingInc: I read that the Clymer doesnt cover this model... thought Id let you know before you went digging for it, unless Im wrong.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q5Y6yQLQrTDGatcqQl2PKINOeQarvxt6f8YknTVMqOiPrrctrEvdH52O1jZMzz5f