octavious
octavious Dork
10/25/17 6:17 a.m.

**I will add pics as soon as I figure it how***

As a former Monster owner I think I made a wise choice into my next project. As a level headed human, I think I’m a moron...

Back story I had a Monster I loved it but it wasn’t great for the type of travel riding I‘ve been doing. So I traded it and tried a KawasakiMeanstreak (that sucked) and I traded that for a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 which is a very good bike.  I’m now at a spot where I wanted a project bike to coincide with the Vstrom which needs nothing but to be ridden.

I started looking for projects, especially Old Honda CBs to turn into a cafe racer.  You guys helped when I asked about a couple of Suzuki GSs.   Then this popped up...It was listed as a Monster 750, for $1000. When I got there from the frame, tank, and headlight I knew it was a SS. $600 later this followed me home. The title says 1999 750SS.

It needs a lot, but this is a long term project. 

octavious
octavious Dork
10/25/17 6:21 a.m.

**I’m also cross posting from another forum but you guys have an awesome knowledge base and are more project oriented**

We basically rolled it up on the trailer rack drove 3 hours home and then rolled it back off again, and called it a day.

I know it was parked due to an electrical issue, not sure if the ECU is bad or not. I tested the batteryyesterday and it was bad. Which makes sense since the PO said the bike sat for awhile and then he and his brother tried to jump start it from a car and that he thinks they fried the ECU. Question Does the 750SS have a main fuse like on Japanese bikes I've been around? And if so where is it?

Question is there a place to get a factory workshop manual for this model? I had a digital copy for my Monster, but honestly haven't looked yet for this one.

I'm also guessing based on the missing fairings, missing mirror on the right side, and cracked turn signal switch, that the bike was dropped at some point. But...there are no scuff marks on either side of the cases or on the mufflers so it doesn't not look to have taken a slide at any point.

My plan is to strip it all the way down and see what I'm working with.

octavious
octavious Dork
10/25/17 6:24 a.m.

So I got the tank and airbox out of the way.  Tanks has some crusty gas come out at first but clean gas on top. I’m going to have it checked and then I’ll try my hand any coating and sealing it. Cleaned up some of the crap (front turn signals were just zip tied in place) and checked the belts.

The belts are crusty. They will be replaced.

But I had a bad fear that the motor was locked up. I pulled the covers, pulled the spark plugs, put the bike in gear and spun it by the rear wheel. It has compression and the belts turn. The belts have tension but I didn’t check specs fully. This was more of a check to relieve my nerves.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/25/17 2:31 p.m.

If that tank has been a allowed to sit watch out for rust. SSie tanks have a tendency to rust and leak at the rear tank hinge plate.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/25/17 2:34 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B78PZzrSfFIJOU1aj5mPgWAVe8BjhFijBPfnjpOVKKrDe0GmxgDphyJ2tzv0qzQQ