1 2 3
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/18/16 11:02 a.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

I'm more worried about when it's in the high teens and low twenties on the way to work. I have good winter gloves. But 70 mph in the teens will still freeze hands. The only times I don't ride are when it's likely to ice, snow is not a concern here.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/18/16 11:25 a.m.

How are you liking the bike so far? Are you happy with the stock suspension? Mind my asking your weight? I've considered trying to get one of these in the next ~12 months, maybe finding a leftover or lightly used example.

Coming from a VFR800, I've wondered if I should wait for the FJ-07, assuming it shows up. Or is the power delivery pretty easy to modulate, especially in bad weather? Have you done anything with the clutch cable? Some stories on the internet about them failing early / often.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/18/16 11:28 a.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

I would definitely look into actively heated gear. There are even DIY writeups.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/18/16 12:34 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to DaveEstey: I'm more worried about when it's in the high teens and low twenties on the way to work. I have good winter gloves. But 70 mph in the teens will still freeze hands. The only times I don't ride are when it's likely to ice, snow is not a concern here.

Aftermarket heated grips, some $25 ATV bar mitts, a ski or racing balclava and a Gerbings heated jacket will make that comfortable. I also toss pocket warmers in the bar mitts when it's stupid cold.

These mitts in the pic just needed me to poke holes for the mirrors. You might need to add some brush guards to the bike to keep them from interfering with the levers but either way it's a cheap mod that really works.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
10/18/16 1:38 p.m.
pres589 wrote: How are you liking the bike so far? Are you happy with the stock suspension? Mind my asking your weight? I've considered trying to get one of these in the next ~12 months, maybe finding a leftover or lightly used example. Coming from a VFR800, I've wondered if I should wait for the FJ-07, assuming it shows up. Or is the power delivery pretty easy to modulate, especially in bad weather? Have you done anything with the clutch cable? Some stories on the internet about them failing early / often.

I have close to 10k on mine (an early '15)... I absolutely LOVE it!

All the fun of a sportbike with all the utility of a standard/sport touring bike. I'm a little over 200lbs in gear, and the stock suspension works for me. Is it perfect? No. But it's decent enough. Set the sag on both ends, and most importantly: get rid of the stock Dunlop tires! As soon as I switched to Michelin PR4s, they improved the feel and ridability of the bike so much that suspension work went way down the list of projects.

There's a lot of discussion on the forums about the throttle being abrupt. I ride mine in 'A' mode 100% of the time (except in rain), and don't have any issues. That said, it could be improved, as it's not perfect. I came from a lot of time on street and track with high horsepower bikes, where a lot of folks came to the FJ9 from lower powered bikes. The big power and light weight was new to them, and the abruptness was more pronounced. In rain, "STD" or 'B' modes dial it back to keep things under control. The traction control also tames it... it will spin the rear with the TC off... Coming from a VFR, you shouldn't have any issues.

I've not had any trouble with the clutch cable (knock wood)... you know how it is with problems on the internet. I have had to replace the CCT, and just went with the APE to avoid future hassles.

The bike's a hoot... total hooligan machine in adult clothes! Onlu thing I really wish it had is cruise control...

My local dealer has two leftover '15s on the floor, and I've seen several well farkled examples for sale on the forums, so you should have some good opportunities.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
10/18/16 1:56 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

I am in love with the bike. For the money, and likely at any price, I doubt I could have found a bike that fits my needs as much as this one does. (BMW R1200RS may be better but you pay for it).

I'm 190-195 and have no complaints whatsoever with the suspension. But, take into consideration I am coming off of a Sportster. I've read people complain about the suspension saying it's mandatory to upgrade, I just don't have that much experience to nit pick it. I'm sure someone with more breadth of experience could find faults.

The power is super easy to modulate in B mode. In standard it's easy but if your ham fisted with it it'll let you know to be smoother with your inputs. A mode is everything right now. We haven't had a proper rain since I bought it but it's fine and confidence inspiring on mildly damp roads.

I haven't had any issues at all with the clutch cable, or the cam chain tensioner. No plans to do anything to them.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
10/18/16 5:49 p.m.

Out of curiosity I just weighed myself. 193.3 without gear 209.4 with everything but gloves on.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/18/16 10:40 p.m.

Ok, all good info, thanks. I'm about 185lbs or just under so that's good to hear. Maybe in the next 6 to 12 months...

Nick (Bo) Comstock
12/11/16 10:28 a.m.

OK, finally got some properly cold temps last Friday morning. Temp was 30 when I left the house. My ugly hand guard extensions work wonderfully.

Also broke down and got the factory hard bags yesterday. Dealer had them in stock and 15% off. After looking at all the (cheaper) aftermarket options, nothing really seemed to fit the style of the bike as well as the factory bags. I have to say that these things are HEAVY! The lower mounts are a solid 1/4" chunk of steel, they weigh probably close to five pounds each. The bags themselves are super solid as well. Lockable, waterproof storage is where it's at on a commuter. Currently sitting on 3,852 miles on her so far and loving every second of it.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
12/11/16 11:10 a.m.

Good deal on the bags!

The lower mounts are definitely substantial...

I've found that the bags are about the perfect size for anything short of a multi-day trip. Even then, I use a waterproof duffel for most things, so it hasn't been an issue. I am tempted to grab a set of FJR bags if I see a set for sale cheap. They fit with no mods, and are a bit larger.

I don't recall if you have the factory heated grips, but they work great for cooler temps. Pricey, but worth it for the integration into the factory display and switchgear.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
2/24/17 7:50 a.m.

Nick, done any 2up riding on the FJ9? Curious because I went to the Yamaha dealer to look at a Super Tenere, they didn't have one. But they had two leftover 2015 FJ9 at a very nice price, and I was surprised at the size. I thought it was much smaller like the smaller one, 7 maybe? And thought that the FJ9 might fit me more than the Tenere.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
5/24/17 9:29 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

Sorry I missed your post octavious.

Unfortunately, I can't get her to even sit on a motorcycle so I'm only a solo rider. To me the seat to peg distance for the passenger looks a little tight. I guess it depends on the height of the passenger though. Maybe check over at FJ09.org for some threads, or check out the thread on ADVrider in the road warrior section.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
5/28/17 5:37 p.m.

Had I good ride today. Took about 5.5 hrs to do around a 250 mile loop. Rode down to Marble Falls and explored some decently twisty roads down in that area. Finally got to use the sides of my tires

The bike is just wonderful. Hit a massive bump while leaned over in a sweeper at about 75 and while I certainly felt it, the bike didn't complain at all. Didn't wiggle, didn't pitch and never wavered from the track I was on. Really impressed. Easily cruises at triple digit speeds, can slog along happy with the cruisers in sixth gear at about 45 and can hang with (and even hassle) the sport bikes in the twisties. Just a wonderful bike

The only complaint was my ass began to get uncomfortable about three hours in and the last hour or so I was in pain. Had to stop and walk around a couple times on the way back but the relief was only temporary. Full day rides would be hard for me with the stock seat.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/2/17 6:05 p.m.

Finally got her properly ready for winter. If course it was 80 degrees today but it's December so I feel like I should get it ready for some colder temps. 

Version two for my hand guard extensions. These work and look a lot better in my opinion. 

Also installed my new Givi touring barn door and Oxford premium adventure heated grips.

Should be a much more comfortable winter for me this year.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/17 8:48 p.m.

Nice!

We still need to get together for a ride.  My old boss/best friend has been clamoring for a good day of riding, too.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
12/2/17 8:53 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w :

I'm ready when you are!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/1/18 8:27 p.m.

My wife will not ride with me. And she refuses to let my son ride with me as well. So the pillion seat is useless to me. I've often thought it would be a perfect spot for some on board storage. I seriously contemplated making a custom box out of fiberglass and almost went that route. However, I noticed Harbor Freight is now selling cheap Pelican case knockoffs and there medium sized box fits perfectly in that area. Just enough room for my daily commuting essentials in the summer (Lunch, sunglasses and such). The added benefit is that I don't have to design hinges and latches as that's already taken care of. The downside is that I'll have to figure out a way to make it not ugly.

I wanted to make it lockable so I set about re-keying the extra lock from my hard bags to fit the bike's key. Then I set about mounting it to the box. I had to fabricate a new latch arm and latch plate. I also had to modify the lock cylinder to allow it to mount with a spring clip. 

After those were painted and the latch plate riveted to the lid I set about mounting the box to the bike.

My goal was to not modify the bike at all. It has to mount exactly as the factory rear seat does.

First order of business was to locate some rubber bumpers on the bottom of the box as that would allow me to locate the box correctly on the frame and allow me to properly eyeball the correct angle for the rear mounts. I bought some rubber plugs that are meant to go on the bottom of chairs an used those. On the rear they fit perfectly and I just bolted them to the bottom of the box.  On the front I had to make some spacers which I made out of some scrap 1/2" PCV pipe I had laying around. 

The rear mounts are simple. I took a couple pieces of 1/8" x 3/4" flat steel and bent them to the correct angle. I made sure they just touched the factory contact points with all four rubber feet touching the subframe. I painted then riveted them to the box. I covered them in some thick heat shrink tubing I had left over from another project to protect the factory contact points.

The front mount took some time to work out. I settled on a design and set about fabricating and some more eyeballing. After some test fitting and an extreme amount of luck it fit perfectly. Just enough tension to keep it securely in place but not enough to put any stress on the factory latch. It goes on and off just as easily as the factory rear seat and it locates perfectly every time. This is a major victory and exactly how I wanted it to work. 

Here are a couple pics of it on the bike.

And that's where I'm at currently. Now comes the hard part, figuring out how to make it not look like hot garbage. I've got some ideas, we'll see if they pan out. If not I'm not out much money and the stock seat just goes right back on.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/16/18 10:23 a.m.

The only disappointment of this bike for me is the stock windscreen. It seems like a complete afterthought and only works to produce terrible buffeting and massive noise in the helmet. 

I decided to see if I could make it workable. After a weekend if testing and tuning I'm very happy with it. 

Mounted it high on my Givi mount and angled back at 50° gives me very smooth air that hits my helmet just at the top of the visor so the vents work properly. And it's smooth air so not turbulent at all meaning the only thing I hear is air rushing by. I can actually hear the engine at 75mph which I couldn't do above 40 with the stock configuration. Plus I still get enough airflow to my torso to not overheat on these near 100° days we've been having for the past couple weeks. 

Looks a little goofy but works better than stock and better than my little home made sorry shorty screen.

m4ff3w
6/16/18 11:12 a.m.

Looks good!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/9/20 11:26 p.m.

17500 miles on the original chain. Front sprocket showed a little wear nothing major. Rear was perfect but replaced them anyway. Oil change, coolant flush and brake fluid flushed as well. About time for a new rear tire. Have a Michelin road 5 ready to go on but the tire machine broke an air line so have to wait on that to get fixed. All in all a productive Saturday afternoon.

These days she's not my only mode of transport anymore but she's still my commuter if choice 95% of the time.  And I still haven't fallen out of love. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/11/20 9:38 a.m.

i think if I'd gone this route over the FZ-09 I'd likely still have it. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/11/20 10:45 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

We were just having a conversation on an FJ-09 forum about why this bike isn't more popular.  The FZ has sold tremendously well whereas these are pretty rare to see out in the wild.  My theory is the FZ feels more young where the FJ feels more like an old man's bike.  I don't really care cause when she's cleaned up she's still sexy and she knows how to get down. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/11/20 11:43 a.m.

I'm still in love with mine... and I'm actually getting out and riding it this year... cheeky

It's such a great all-'round bike.  Fantastic commuter, great light tourer, and when you want to turn it up... it rips! 

m4ff3w
5/15/20 8:11 a.m.

Lookin good, Nick.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pv1LQbAGf7ObzMabacgkN8Ql4ggqptpADxD6j0FVFinsYqnn7E8AlV5Du08AWpys