jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/25/09 8:06 p.m.

So, I've been looking around at new bikes. Quite honestly I've never bought a new motored vehicle so I was looking for a couple tips.

I'm thinking about buying a Sportster 883L.

Is the new motorcycle market the same as the used motorcycle market? Will price be lower in the winter? Will there be more rebates in the winter? Or is retail price retail price?

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
7/25/09 8:21 p.m.

No need to pay retail, but even more so than cars, there's no need to buy a new bike. I'm sure you can get a used 883 for the right price.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/25/09 8:52 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Seems like the used 883s go within $500 of a new 883 around here.

About the same here. Around here I could buy a new 883, ride it for 10 years, and sell it for about what I paid for it.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
7/25/09 10:53 p.m.

Well, if you can dig less chrome, the Iron 883 can be had for $7899. For a Harley, that's damn cheap.

And, apparently, HD has a trade up policy on any 09 Sportster. If you buy by August 31, you can trade up to a Dyna, Softtail, VRSC, or Touring within a year and you'll receive the MSRP on the Sportster.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2009_Campaigns/ride_free/RideFreeNew.jsp?locale=en_US

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/26/09 7:56 a.m.

I love the Iron 883. That's what I went to the dealer looking for yesterday. But, the 883L has a list price as low as $6999.

skierd
skierd Dork
7/26/09 7:17 p.m.

Yeah, but the Iron looks so so so so much better. If they're still around when I'm ready to buy one, thats my next bike I think.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/26/09 9:15 p.m.

I like both so I'm good with the cheaper one. It would all depend on what they had when I was ready to buy and what kind of deal I could get.

I'm looking right now at buying sometime in the January - February time frame. Anyone have insight into deals that time of year?

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/26/09 9:24 p.m.

A gut at work just got an Iron. He went all the way and had the all the shiney chrome replaced with black chrome. Looks even more evil that way.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/09 9:29 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
7/26/09 10:41 p.m.

If the Iron 883 had spokes instead of mags, even I'd be thinking about one. Mmmmmmm indeed.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
7/27/09 11:02 a.m.

A few things about the Sportster...

Everything on the 883L can be bought from the dealer and installed on the 883 Iron with simple hand tools. I think the differences would be the seat (sold as the Solo Reach in the catalog, IIRC) and the bars. Both have mids and the lower rear suspension. So, if you're looking at the Low because you're short, no worries with an Iron.

Price is negotiable. You should be able to get a few hundred off of either. Bikes sales are slow - the economy is in the E36 M3ter and fuel prices haven't gone up enough this summer to entice cagers over to bikes.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/09 12:18 p.m.

I just bought a non-running 99 Buell for $1200. It started and ran just this weekend when I replaced the fuel injection with a carb. I'm hoping to have a running Buell for $2k.

Deals are out there. There is a 99 Buell S3T in the local Craig's List for $3300.

I like Sporty's but I think Buell's are better deals with more performance.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/09 12:19 p.m.
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe New Reader
7/27/09 12:32 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If the Iron 883 had spokes instead of mags, even I'd be thinking about one. Mmmmmmm indeed.

I thought the spokes were a option on the IRON at around 800$

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
7/27/09 1:21 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Appleseed wrote: If the Iron 883 had spokes instead of mags, even I'd be thinking about one. Mmmmmmm indeed.
I thought the spokes were a option on the IRON at around 800$

Spokes an option? Oh that's rich. Used to be the other way around.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/27/09 1:25 p.m.

Just looked. Spokes are not an option on the Iron. They are an option on the Low. It's a $460 upgrade.

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
7/27/09 1:37 p.m.

I'll throw this out there: I love sporties, but at 6'2" I look like I'm a monkey on a tricycle.. How tall are you

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/27/09 1:41 p.m.

I'm 5'10"ish. So, you've got a good 4+ inches on me.

therex
therex SuperDork
7/27/09 6:18 p.m.

I was told if I wanted an Iron to march into the HD dealer with 7k in my pocket and not leave until I was on an Iron.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/27/09 6:43 p.m.

Who told you that? Someone on the inside?

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
7/28/09 10:38 a.m.
therex wrote: I was told if I wanted an Iron to march into the HD dealer with 7k in my pocket and not leave until I was on an Iron.

That's probably about right.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/31/09 7:41 p.m.

I came across a 2005 883 Sportster for a price I couldn't turn down. I looked at it at the bike shop and then came across it on ebay later that day and bought it for a good bit cheaper than at the shop. (The price at the shop was already pretty good.)

I pick it up tomorrow. I'll post pictures after I get it home.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/31/09 8:42 p.m.

Congrats!

Take the course!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
baMVBd7GWAcwrPvdfDqQjYgRk5h4541wHIkAauILfYmnpzHOnsoOZroDqSsXf4HV